Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Installing Java J2SDK | J2RE with firefox plugins

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Installing Java J2SDK | J2RE with firefox plugins

Quote Originally Posted by dejitarob
    I would be careful running an old version of java. http://ubuntuguide.org/temp/#jre links to the latest version.
    Careful ? why? as long as the application doesn't demand it, they should work [some old versions work faster than others... supposedly]. Even Limewire for Windows, downloads a very old java version, the one that works, not necessarily new. On old java's I have used azureus, limewire and websites like dslreports.

But, if a new version is available, there is no point in using an old one.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by bored2k
    Careful ? why?
    http://secunia.com/product/784/#advisories
    "We do not want a world in which the guarantee that we will not die of starvation is bought by accepting the risk of dying of boredom." -Vaneigem

Beans

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Installing Java J2SDK | J2RE with firefox plugins

I tried to install the Sun J2SDK 1.5.0 update 2 using the method above, however it still didn't install the plugin.

After some research I found out that the firefox plugin is "installed" by creating a symbolic link to a symbolic link in the /etc/alternatives directory, which points to a non-existing file.

Whether or not this is because Sun changed the directory layout, or the make-jpkg doesn't set it up properly I am not sure, however by changing the symbolic link for
    /etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so

/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

to

/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I've been able to get firefox to work.

I guess that by changing the mozilla-javaplugin.so and the netscape-javaplugin.so one will be able to get these programs to work properly as well..

Another way to solve this problem is to update the install file in /usr/share/java-package/sun-j2sdk1.5 by changing:
    # assemble the plugin path
    plugin_dir="$j2se_base/plugin/$arch_dir"
    to:
    # assemble the plugin path
    plugin_dir="$j2se_base/jre/plugin/$arch_dir"
    before building the package with make-jpkg.
    Last edited by remkio; April 10th, 2005 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Other method

Beans

I have tried just about every solution offered (I think) and have yet to find a workable answer. Here is what confuses me, I do:

$ java -version

Code:
    java version "1.5.0_02"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_02-b09)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_02-b09, mixed mode, sharing)
    $ firefox aboutlugins

Code:
    Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_02-b09

File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
        Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_02

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
    application/x-java-vm 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.5 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.5.0_02 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.1 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.2 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.3 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.4 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.5 	Java 		Yes
    application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.5.0_02 	Java 		Yes
    Judging by the confirmations I am getting from running from terminal, I should be able to run java without crashing, right...? So far the best I get is the browser no longer crashes. I then decided to right click in the browser document of a page that contains an embedded applet, and View Page Info > Tab "Media"... There is no media content in the Media tab related to java. I doublecheck the page source to make sure there is an embedded applet and sure enough it is there. Please, any suggestions would be welcome so I can stop

Edit: I tried symlinking with the "alternatives" directory. What change did I get? aboutlugins no longer registers java as a plugin, BUT Firefox acknowledges applets in the Media "Tab" under View Page Info. Am I getting closer or further away? Hmm...
    Last edited by Z-Bo; April 10th, 2005 at 09:56 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Bo
    I have tried just about every solution offered (I think) and have yet to find a workable answer. Here is what confuses me, I do:

Judging by the confirmations I am getting from running from terminal, I should be able to run java without crashing, right...? So far the best I get is the browser no longer crashes. I then decided to right click in the browser document of a page that contains an embedded applet, and View Page Info > Tab "Media"... There is no media content in the Media tab related to java. I doublecheck the page source to make sure there is an embedded applet and sure enough it is there. Please, any suggestions would be welcome so I can stop
    Mmm.. None of the applets I looked at showed up in my "Media" tab... However, they do run properly... and therefor I don't mind...

Edit: I tried symlinking with the "alternatives" directory. What change did I get? aboutlugins no longer registers java as a plugin, BUT Firefox acknowledges applets in the Media "Tab" under View Page Info. Am I getting closer or further away? Hmm...
    Looks like you lost the plugin... Just a question: how did you install your java?

Beans
    Question: I installed Sun Java before I realized there was no firefox plugin for the AMD64...is it OK if I just install blackdown Java over it?

Beans

@remkio

Thanks for replying. What do you mean "lost the plugin?" You are referring to libjavaplugin_oji.so correct? I have it...

One thing that might be screwing things up is all the installs and removals of Java I have done in the past week or so to get Java to work...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by WMCoolmon
    Question: I installed Sun Java before I realized there was no firefox plugin for the AMD64...
    There are AMD64 binaries on Sun's Java download page (click on 'Download JRE 5.0 Update 2'). Follow the install instructions in the unofficial guide, substituting i386 for your binaries of course.
    "We do not want a world in which the guarantee that we will not die of starvation is bought by accepting the risk of dying of boredom." -Vaneigem

Beans

That's exactly what I did; the problem is, there's no firefox/mozilla plugin for the versions on Sun's site.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you.
    I finally have java in firefox (efter i don t know how many repositories added)... Someone should fix the wiki at ubuntulinux.org and state that those instructions are for warty! (/me hits his forehead)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast