Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tribler : the best bittorrent client for linux ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Tribler : the best bittorrent client for linux ?

is tribler OSS??
    Impossible is nothing but a word.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntian View Post
    hi reda_ea, could u please provide the step of installation so that newbie like me can understand it easily, thx!
    As a newbie myself, all i did was download it, open it, and it installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntian View Post
    hi reda_ea, could u please provide the step of installation so that newbie like me can understand it easily, thx!
    You mean just getting it to work ??
    get the deb, double click, install, go to applications>internet, click tribler ...

Or maybe you meant compiling from source ?
    Look at the instructions from their website (they have their own customized version of a python library witch requires pyhon headers and all to compile ..)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule View Post
    is tribler OSS??
    Yeah, MIT license I think, anyway it's based on ABC witch is based on Bittornado witch is based on the officiel bittorrent client, so I think it HAS to be opensource

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

the link seem got problem, i can't completely download it....

Beans

thanks reda_ea for introducing (and putting the package together) Tribler to the rest of us. I think Tribler is the best linux torrent appliation I have used yet (azureus was slow and took up too much memory/cpu. qtorrent, bittornado, default bittorrent didn't display unicode correctly and didn't support multiple torrents at one time).

The main features that I really liked about Tribler:
    - lots of options (I can change ports, limit download/upload speed, change default download location)
    - support of unicode filenames
    - nice gui

But is it better than uTorrent & BitComet for Windows?
    close, but not quite there yet.
    Things I like dislike about Tribler:
    - ahhhh... integrating "human friendship" into a torrent software? not for me, at least not in a torrent software. there are instant messengers, forum, etc. for that.
    - Another feature that is bugging me is that this software "recommends torrent" to me. Is it monitoring on me? It just doesn't feel right somehow.
    - The "advanced options" are embedded too deeply and can only be access once the torrent is downloading. For example, if a torrent file consists of multiple files and I want to exclude one of them from downloading (ie I don't want/already have that particular file), I won't be able to deselect that file until I have selected a download location (which will automatically download all the files).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by wbc1228 View Post
    - ahhhh... integrating "human friendship" into a torrent software? not for me, at least not in a torrent software. there are instant messengers, forum, etc. for that.
    - Another feature that is bugging me is that this software "recommends torrent" to me. Is it monitoring on me? It just doesn't feel right somehow.
    from the FAQ in the official website

Privacy
    From our license: [Tribler] will by default exchange your download history with others. This feature can be disabled by disabling the recommender in the Preference menu. See also the disclaimer at [the bottom of this page]
    so all it does is send your history to others, they don't keep it on a server (wich would have been stange for a P2P app), and you can disable it.

Anyway these are just features you only use if you want, The recommendations don't work yet for me, I think I need more history and it needs more users contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by wbc1228 View Post
    - The "advanced options" are embedded too deeply and can only be access once the torrent is downloading. For example, if a torrent file consists of multiple files and I want to exclude one of them from downloading (ie I don't want/already have that particular file), I won't be able to deselect that file until I have selected a download location (which will automatically download all the files).
    I also hate not being allowed to chose wich files to download before the download begins, that's the main reason I didn't like other clients (and the reason I like bitcomet). I also don't like having to double click on a torrent to have it's details.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

any idea on how to make it open torrents with spaces by double clicking or choosing to open it in tribler on download complete without having to open them from the software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks great client!
    Th only bad thing is that sometimes the torrents get's stoped

Beans

Hey friends, do you know this http://www.torrentflux.com/ ???

Sounds good ?!?!? 8) 8)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

yeah, that one is awesome, but you need a web server first

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast