View Poll Results: Is a seperate "community" repository a good idea ?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a great idea

16 69.57%
  • It's a good idea but it wouldn't work

4 17.39%
  • I hate it. It's a horrible idea

3 13.04%

Thread: Community operated reposiory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Community operated repository

I have been thinking and I think I have found a way to allow more up to date software into the repositories. Basically, there would be a seperate repository called the "community" repository. About 25-100 trusted users would have acess to upload to this repository and it would contain new software. This would not be an offical repository but it could be added if wanted. So what do you think ? Good idea or bad idea ? This is based on how Archlinux works and if a new version of Gnomebaker is released it is in the repositories in 1-6 hours.
    Last edited by xXx 0wn3d xXx; August 12th, 2006 at 02:05 AM.

Beans

Re: Community operated reposiory

Great idea, I always want to have the latest versions for some packages. But what are the universe/multiverse sections in the main repositories? I'm a little short of knowledge about them however aren't they maintained by the community?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xXx 0wn3d xXx View Post
    I have been thinking and I think I have found a way to allow more up to date software into the repositories. Basically, there would be a seperate repository called the "community" repository. About 25-100 trusted users would have acess to upload to this repository and it would contain new software. This would not be an offical repository but it could be added if wanted. So what do you think ? Good idea or bad idea ? This is based on how Archlinux works and if a new version of Gnomebaker is released it is in the repositories in 1-6 hours.
    If you would like me to correct the spelling in the title let me know

Community operated reposiory

Beans

seems like a good idea! but would these be like "real" packages, or like checkinstalled that anyone and their brother could do?

Beans

It's a good idea if it's going to be completely unofficial.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc313 View Post
    seems like a good idea! but would these be like "real" packages, or like checkinstalled that anyone and their brother could do?
    They would most likely be checkinstalled but it would make Ubuntu more up-to-date and make it easier for people who can't compile their own packages to have the latest stable software.

Beans
    Hidden!

There's Universe already. Anyone who is willing to create packages that live up to Debian/Ubuntu quality standards can do that in the already existing infrastructure.
    An unofficial community repo that doesn't have the same quality standards and doesn't work closely with the rest of the community would probably lead to a lot of breakage. Just look at the early days of backports before it became an official project.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The binary deb packages are installed as root. I don't think it is a good idea to entrust your computer to any Tom, **** or Harry who slapped together the latest and greatest version of a software program in a deb. Although I would like to have more up-to-versions of software sometimes, I'm not willing to install just anything just for the sake of having the newest. I've been spending a lot of my own free time learning how to build debian packages the right way. And as was brought up in the MOTU class the other day on building packages, people are giving you root privledges to their computer and entrusting you. That's not something that should be taken lightly. The MOTU people who manage the universe and multiverse packages do a great job and are there for a good reason. If you want to have more up-to-date packages available then get envolved with the MOTU program.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU