Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We have 5 senses (formally). Which is more important to you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question We have 5 senses (formally). Which is more important to you?

Hey.
    I know it sounds like a weird question to ask in a computer forum. My reasoning is this. We have seen computers used by people that are blind, deaf, mute etc.... Computers are used right across the board. We use computers for various reasons. Some for purely achademic reasons, others as a means of expression, relaxation (???) or entertainment. Our five senses enable us to experience different facets of each situation we live in and through.

There are 5 senses (formally).
    1. Sight
    2. Sound
    3. Touch
    4. Taste
    5. Smell

For those of us who are fortunate enough to have all of these five senses and also for those who may not have all of them..... if you had to go without a sense that you currently had, what would it be and why?
    Why would you choose it over another.

For example, I have all five senses and they are fairly well balanced. Being a visual person, I definently need sight. I love music and could not live without it. Therefore I need sound. Touch is very important to me. To feel texture it itself is almost like sight beyond sight. Smell is something so sensual as it stirs emotions in me.

Taste is something that I could sacrifice. I have never really been mad about food. Even as I say this, I appreciate the taste of a nice stir fry, a handful of dried fruit or a piece of chocolate.

Have you ever really thought about your five senses?
    Have you ever considered how your life would be without one of them?
    What would you consider your most important sense and your least?

I am a digital designer amongst other things. As graphical communication is a language beyond words, communication in itself becomes a state of mind.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers
    muz

Beans

Re: We have 5 senses (formally). Which is more important to you?

1. Sight -big gap to->
    2. Hearing
    2. Touch -huge gap to->
    4. Smell
    5. Taste

Beans

My senses in order that I need them:

1. Sight
    2. Touch
    3. Sound
    4. Smell
    5. Taste

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

90% of our sensory data is received through our eyes, so i would vote for sight first. 2nd would have to be hearing so that i can continue to appreciate music.

sight
    sound
    touch
    smell
    taste
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; August 11th, 2006 at 01:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

sight, by far, is most important to me. being a music teacher, i suppose i should put hearing second, although there are days when i'd like to put it dead last. touch is a close third, followed by smell, then taste.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    being a music teacher, i suppose i should put hearing second, although there are days when i'd like to put it dead last.

For me its. Sight, Sound, Touch, Taste, Smell. Although the last two are very closely linked it's hard to call.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Depends for what really. If you are talking biologically/survival wise the most important is sight and hearing the rest are just "niceties". Touch kinda falls between survival and nicetie in that it alerts you to possible danger (hot/cold surface, pain and such). For recreation touch, smell and taste are more important tho
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

That is a tough one.

Sight, because it's used 99% of the day. Plus I'm spending a lot on these Corneal Refractive Therapy lenses to fix my eyesight without having to go the Lasik route (no slicing, no dicing and no risk save lost money)

Hearing, because sound is all around and you really notice it if form some reason everythign went quiet. Of course years of listening to music too loud and now I have this permanent ringing in my ears that I've heard means I have permanent hearing loss.

Smell, because it is one of those senses you use but don't realize. Not just for smelling good food, or good perfume, either. When I'm driving with the top down and I see dark clouds ahead it is when I can smell the rain (or is it ozone?) THEN I pull over to put my top up (or just drive through it.. amazing how the rain goes over your head when doing 80mph!)

Taste, because it is so closely related to Smell.

Touch, because nothing feels so good as a nice massage or the embrace of a loved one!

ESP, because it's fun to be "in the know"
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by GarethMB View Post

For me its. Sight, Sound, Touch, Taste, Smell. Although the last two are very closely linked it's hard to call.
    *sniff, sniff* is something burning? vs. "eeeew! this tastes burnt!" puts smell over taste, for me.

Beans

I put touch before smell because. Without the sense of touch, if I went to pick up a glass and was holding it, unless I actually looked at the glass resting in my hand I wouldn't know I was holding it, or how tight to hold it. Tight enough that it wouldn't slip out of my hand but not tight enough that it would break and cut my hand.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast