Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Endless debates about religious derivatives of Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu religious versions?

Quote Originally Posted by jbayone View Post
    A "Christian" version of software sounds like something of a joke in itself though. At least to me anyway...
    I can assure you it's not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu religious versions?

Quote Originally Posted by mhancoc7 View Post
    I see this as the same thing. When you localize Ubuntu for a specific language you are customizing the distro for that group's needs. That is exactly what Ubuntu CE is doing.

Jereme
    Well put, Jereme. I agree that Ubuntu CE is expanding the community of Ubuntu and Linux, while providing features that benefit that niche.

God Bless,
    Randy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Re: Ubuntu religious versions?

I think the recent edition of the Ubuntu Podcast sufficiently covered this. For those who don't know, the Ubuntu podcast is an excellent resources, and the founder of Ubuntu CE was on it, explaining his purpose and vision for CE.

For whoever asked if there was sufficient interest in CE, he said that it was th #26 distro at distrowatch.com. That must mean something.

I want to say that although I have no interest whatsoever in changing over to CE, I, as a Christian, can defend the Christian interest in Ubuntu, and I intend to explain over a few points.

1. Many churches have limited monetary resources. They may have more than one computer, but don't want to have to spend several hundred dollars to install Windows on each computer. Ubuntu (among other Linux distros) allows people to install one set of software onto multiple computers.

2. Many churches are illegally running a single license of Windows on multiple computers, usually unaware of their larcenous state. Ubuntu fixes that problem.

3. Individual Christians should be looking for ways to be wise with their money. Wisdom of money is the opposite of the root of all evil (the love of money), Ubuntu is another way for honest Christians to find more ways to treat filthy lucre.

4. I believe that Christians should participate in all parts of society, and therefore, a few Christians (including fundamentalists like myself) should participate and join in the rest of humanity in all activities. I am no programmer, but I want to be part of a group with high ideals.

I realize that some would not want us here, but apparently in the eyes of Canonical, we are welcome to participate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ubuntu Christian Edition

Coming in 2007!

LuciferLinux
    Linux for Satanists

Scott
    © 2010 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved.
    I never used an OS that I didn't (dis)like.
    I'm angrykeyboarder™ and I approved this message.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I think that is way off topic.
    "Help stop software piracy...use Linux. and FOSS!"
    What's better than whining on the forums? Making a difference!

Beans

It may be off topic. I just can't help but laugh. Got to have a good sence of humor to live in this world today or you may implode.
    If it is not broke, fix it till it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, I am glad that you find it amusing. However, Ubuntu CE is not a
    The first time I got wind of it I thought it had to be a joke. It was too asinine an idea not to be..

It is simply a pre-configured and customized version of Ubuntu for a specific group of people (Christians). The idea is to bring Linux to a community of people who in my opinion are until now are an untapped market for Linux.
    So in other words there aren't any Christinas using Linux. Linux is only used by Pagans, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus and so forth. Christians aren't benefiting from the FLOSS community like the rest of the world has somehow managed to figure out, so you're going to change that.

This project is not about bringing Christianity to Linux users. It is just the opposite. It is an excellent example of how we can use the power of Open Source software to really provide groups with a product that will truly meet their needs.
    And just why are Christians so much more "needy" than non-Christians?

I really wish those who are opposed to the Christian faith could take their guards down for a moment and look at the bigger picture of what I am trying to accomplish.
    I don't get what you're trying to accomplish. Millions of Christians around the world use Linux, Mac OS and Windows every single day. Who is this supposed untapped market? Christians are using Linux right now (or are they?).

Or maybe you're implying that Christians aren't as smart as Non-Christians when it comes to installing "Churchy" software? Considering the zillions of Windows users that have been doing that for years I find that rather odd.....

And why is it that somebody hasn't come up with Buddhist or Hindu Ubuntu? Considering the number of Buddhists and Hindus on the planet it certainly would seem logical don't ya think?
    Last edited by angrykeyboarder; December 19th, 2006 at 04:37 PM.
    Scott
    © 2010 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved.
    I never used an OS that I didn't (dis)like.
    I'm angrykeyboarder™ and I approved this message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by angrykeyboarder View Post
    The first time I got wind of it I thought it had to be a joke. It was too asinine an idea not to be..

So in other words there aren't any Christinas using Linux. Linux is only used by Pagans, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus and so forth. Christians aren't benefiting from the FLOSS community like the rest of the world has somehow managed to figure out, so you're going to change that.

I don't get what you're trying to accomplish. Millions of Christians around the world use Linux, Mac OS and Windows every single day. Who is this supposed untapped market? Christians are using Linux right now (or are they?).

And why is it that somebody hasn't come up with Buddhist or Hindu Ubuntu? Considering the number of Buddhists and Hindus on the planet it certainly would seem logical don't ya think?
    I would just like to know why this bothers you so much that you feel the need to come and try to belittle someone for doing something for someone else? Nobody is forcing you to use it and like someone else said, isn't Ubuntu supposed to be for all humans? The last time I checked, we were human too.
    If you want OS's directed at the Hindu or Buddhist segment, you are more than welcome to build one. Jereme put together this for Christians.
    Larry
    Ubuntu User #8499

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by angrykeyboarder
    No, you're reading what you want to see into mhancoc7's statements, which could be put in other words as well. The point is: Linux is underutilized by the whole world, by people of all religions, as well as the non-religious, and with Ubuntu we want to change that, we want to fix bug #1, right? By providing a version of Ubuntu tailored for the needs of those who practise Christian faith, Ubuntu CE is perhaps targeting a niche of people who aren't using Linux, and would find it convenient and heartening to have an OS that ships with software related to their religion. A set of people who may not be interested in Linux at all may get interested solely due to the fact that a religion specific version is available, or it may increase their existing interest and make them cross over.

Compare these two ways of marketing Linux to such a crowd:

- "We have a distro called Ubuntu and you can install software related to the Christian religion easily on it with a program called apt-get, just like all other software." (Keep in mind that this crowd mostly has no idea what apt-get is and how repositories work.)

- "We have a special edition of Ubuntu that ships with all decent software related to the Christian religion."

Which would be more attractive?

Where did mhancoc7 claim that? Christians may or may not have certain special needs in their computing, just like Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, and there's absolutely nothing preventing anyone from making a Jewish, Buddhist or Muslim edition.
    See above.

Or maybe you're implying that Christians aren't as smart as Non-Christians when it comes to installing "Churchy" software? Considering the zillions of Windows users that have been doing that for years I find that rather odd.....
    You seem to lack a basic awareness of the way the FOSS world operates regarding derivatives, and you're trying your best to take statements out of their context and give them unintended meanings just to make a case. Christians can install software that's already in the Ubuntu repositories with apt-get, as can Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, whoever; this has nothing to do with the rationale of including certain non-default packages as default. Linux Mint also does pretty much the same; it installs stuff from Multiverse as default, and by doing so, appeals to a certain niche to whom Ubuntu doesn't appeal as much.
    Why are you asking this in the Christian Edition forum? What answer are you expecting from mhancoc7? It certainly is logical; any Muslim can go ahead and make an Ubuntu Muslim Edition. You can mock, flame, speculate to your heart's content; it won't change the fact that as long as there's the smallest bit of demand for a derivative, its existence is justified.

Oh and...

mmmmmmmoooohahahahahahahaha
    Fortunatly the evil Satan will have his way and crush Christian Linux Distributions before too long........
    Sorry, old news.
    Last edited by 23meg; December 20th, 2006 at 01:52 AM.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Hidden!

I think it would have been in better taste...

I really like the idea of Ubuntu Linux catering to different people and organizations. Ubuntu CE takes a stab at appealing to a large portion of users who are very faith-based. That, in and of itself, is a great idea.

However, I think it would be in better taste to create a much more generalized version of Ubuntu aimed at religious institutions and people in general.

The main reason I feel it would be important to extend the CE version to cater to people of all religions is that it would better compliment the ideology of "Ubuntu." When one speaks of Christianity or Christians, you are referring to an exclusive group of people that is often tied into race and ethnicity. However, the main principal of Ubuntu is, ""the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity." The concept of Ubuntu breaks boundries and borders that separate us from each other and allow us to see each other as a single human family.

However, creating specific Christian, Muslim, or even Buddhist versions of Ubuntu doesn't help to create a sense of unity between different religious users of the Linux In fact, I would argue that creating a Christian Ubuntu focuses more on something that is divisive in nature.

On the flip side, people are going to have different uses for their systems, and users should feel free to release versions of Ubuntu that cater to these needs whether you're producing a system as a corporate server or as a child's first computer.

Christians should be able to download a version of Ubuntu that allows them to study the bible or block offensive websites right off the CD. However, I think there's a desire for this sort of content in other religious communities and institutions.

Perhaps, the CE version can be expanded to add Hebrew and Aramaic support as well as copies of the Koran and other holy texts. Maybe OGGs of Buddhist chants can be installed on the system as well. I would recommend talking to people of different faiths and asking them would they would like to see in a religious version of Ubuntu.

But most importantly, universalizing the CE version to appeal to people of all faiths would also increase the user-base of this version of Ubuntu, one would assume.

Maybe a fundamentalist Christian might be offended to find the Koran on their computer or vice versa, but I don't think that kind of attitude is what Ubuntu and Linux in general should support.

Your thoughts?

Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast