Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A+

Beans

Re: A+

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc313 View Post
    no way in HELL i'd pass that
    I'd pass the linux portion, but fail miserably the Win9x/DOS (never used it, I'm only fifteen)
    Not that hard

Edit: Oh, if we are talking about A+, I'm almost 100% sure that it doesn't have a linux part just hardware and DOS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by bjweeks View Post
    Not sure what career you want to change to but A+, Net+ and Linux+ are really useless for a good paying job.
    They do fill up your CV though. I mean, it thus give some proof that you went and studied something.

Linux+ is hopeless though. I got the latest book recently, hoping to learn something. Bahh.. Most of it I already knew thanks to experimenting. I only needed to learn some more bash..

I would still do it, though, one more cert is good. I mean..yes they are expensive, but if they can land you a well paid job, who's complaining?

By far the worst is ECDL, imho...My sister did it. I did it too...5-10 minutes each exam, it was that easy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    They do fill up your CV though. I mean, it thus give some proof that you went and studied something.
    I would still do it, though, one more cert is good. I mean..yes they are expensive, but if they can land you a well paid job, who's complaining?
    If I was interviewing you I would not pay much attention to certs. I've come across so many certified people in my life that actually know shite. Anybody can pick up a book and pass a simple exam.

I recall a environment where I worked in and when the shite hit the fan the problem landed up in the lap of a guy that had NO certs and he fixed it. So much for all the A+, Network+, MCSE certified staff... What he had was logic reasoning, common sense and problem solving skills
    Last edited by mips; August 14th, 2006 at 09:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

mips has a point. the cert's are only good if the interviewer takes them into account,and the cert holder know's how to apply each cert he/she may have along with his/her logic reasoning, common sense and problem solving skills.

Any knowldge one gathers in life be it book knowldge or hands on,is only good if it's being applied right.
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken View Post
    mips has a point. the cert's are only good if the interviewer takes them into account,and the cert holder know's how to apply each cert he/she may have along with his/her logic reasoning, common sense and problem solving skills.

Any knowldge one gathers in life be it book knowldge or hands on,is only good if it's being applied right.
    That's vary true, I did CCNA in high school and out of the hole class only me and one other guy (he happened to be a linux user too) knew how to apply it. Out of 24 people we were the only ones to pass the exam. It really shocked me, because as other people had already said the cert like ccna, a+, linux+, and net+. But to my friend that failed the A+ you have to know dos to have any hopes of passing it, even through they do not even support it anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not sure what career you want to change to but A+, Net+ and Linux+ are really useless for a good paying job.
    I'm not trying to say that those will land me a good paying job, in fact if i change careers, I will be the owner, so i guess technically I don't need them, i'd like to have them and the sticker and piece of paper that they provide.
    "To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Not to mention that some or indeed most interviewers want to see a certificate. You sort of prove yourself to them.

Beans

Not to mention that some or indeed most interviewers want to see a certificate. You sort of prove yourself to them.
    Absolutely, certificates serve a purpose as they often help 'get the foot in the door'.
    ~~ Ubuntu Forums Firefox/Flock Menu ~~ Ubuntu User Number 206 ~~ Linux user number 403379 ~~

~~ If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it. ~~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

exactly
    "To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge"

Beans

Please note I said "good paying job".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234