Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any issues between Linux and some hardware

Beans

Re: Any issues between Linux and some hardware

To Bucky Ball,

I made some investigations and it seems that it comes from the fact Debian banned the SHA1 protocol. See
    https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Apt/Sha1Removal
    The only repo that would fit on my system is GOOGLE-something. I have GOOGLE EARTH installed.
    It is said I could fix the problem with :
    sudo wget -q -O - https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | apt-key add -
    But all that GOOGLE stuff make me feel ill at ease. I don't trust them. I'd rather get rid of GOOGLE EARTH and see what happens...
    -----------
    I did that and removed the repo. No warning anymore from apt-get update.
    Still, that does'nt solve my problem.
    Last edited by infolix76; June 27th, 2016 at 05:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Despite the other comment, I am delighted with VLC.

Nothing in your computer is at 19C, let alone 3C. I don't have a Radeon card, so I can't suggest anything about the video temperature.

Perhaps you could post the entire output of "sensors" in /code tags.

Beans

It seems that there is a bug with some AMD processor sensors. E.G. core sensors don't appear as if there were none.
    There is nothing much to do about that...

Beans

First I would recommend updateing your flavor... Installing a newer ubuntu. 14.04 is kinda outdated, and your stuck inbetween a rock and a hardplace because 15.04 and 15.10 are listed as no longer supported on ubuntu's website. So try installing 16.04 instead.

but if you insist on staying with 14.04 and dont even want to make the jump to 14.10....

Do you see the correct graphics card/ and all your other drivers listed on the software and updated under system settings? if so are the boxes checked? or do you see X.org Xserver checked?

Here is someones reply for this problem with nvidia :read Briams reply and possibly change
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-331-updates
    to
    sudo apt-get install (Your driver here).

http://askubuntu.com/questions/44969...ubuntu-drivers

but I would recommend looking more in the direction of nvidias automatic driver switching. Its what I use, and it works with multiple screens, I was trying to find the correct link that I saw a few weeks ago, but will give you as much help that I find along the way, Sorry if its not exactly direct.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/69364...going-headless
    But hey at-least they cover AMD in this one.

Also, try getting fan management software that runs off of Ubuntu. It could also play into it crashing. I use macfanctld, but then again I run my windows, OSX, Ubuntu, and Kali, all from my macbook pro, so naturally you'd need to find something for your particular set up.

Ill edit this if I can find that website with the exact driver switcher program. If you don't thing that's the issue, then keep us updated and I'm sure someone would know something more specific, but I think that's probably it.

also you may want to check out ask Ubuntu, they have a lot of knowledgeable people, and alot of good answers. I was just looking for more repositories when I ended up here, then I saw your question and was hoping to help.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions
    Last edited by phatez; July 1st, 2016 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Add a link

Beans

Upgraded to 16.04. Complete reinstall.
    Changed the termic paste between the proc and the radiator.
    Switch off my machine regularly (once every 2 or 3 days)
    So far so good...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by phatez View Post
    ...14.04 is kinda outdated...
    Please stop passing out advice like this because it is totally inaccurate.

14.04 is absolutely fine and will continue to be supported for another 3 years. At this point, it is more stable, more proven and more reliable than 16.04 although this is likely to change as 16.04 goes through its first point-release and continues to gain stability with time. I daresay that most server admins are still running 14.04 as well as other users who value stability over the latest shiny bells and whistles.
    ...but if you insist on staying with 14.04 and dont even want to make the jump to 14.10...
    ...again, this is just plain wrong. The upgrade path to 16.04 does not require going through 14.10, which would be a foolish move in any case because it is now out of support, archived, and cannot be upgraded without changing sources.list to the archived site rather than the default mirrors.
    Here is someones reply for this problem with nvidia :read Briams reply and possibly change
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-331-updates
    to
    sudo apt-get install (Your driver here).
    ...these instructions are not only wrong, but inapplicable and therefore useless. OP's video card is AMD, not nVidia. Your other link has nothing to do with the OP's problem.

@infolix76

I know that you have since solved your crashes, but it is useful for others who come across this thread to understand some details and not let mistaken advice stand uncorrected. Let's keep our fingers crossed that all your problems are solved. I would only note that you actually had a number of separate issues, and I would encourage you to keep your system as simple as possible. With 16.04, you won't have any option other than the open-source video drivers since AMD is no longer supporting fglrx (their old proprietary closed-source) drivers in this release. This actually simplifies your options. Your old problems may in fact have been due to proprietary drivers, which we don't know if you initially installed. Since you upgraded that install from 12.04, you may have inherited a string of old drivers that led to your initial problems.

If you continue to experience problems, you are more than welcome to post back to this thread, or to start another.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by infolix76 View Post
    Changed the termic paste between the proc and the radiator.
    Switch off my machine regularly (once every 2 or 3 days)
    So far so good...
    you need to detect sensors before using them. also i use psensor to monitor the temps:
    http://wpitchoune.net/psensor/

every once in a while the dust gatheres a bit too much and heats up the CPU or GPU.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12