Thread: Marked me impressed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Marked me impressed!

I guess you could call me an early adopter on Ubuntu. My first installation was 5.10 on a dual boot with XP. It was a large learning curve, but I stuck with it. I lived through the good times and the bad. And after many bad experiences trying to upgrade, bought myself a second hard drive just to do test installs on. I still practice this to this day.
    With 16.04 I was extremely impressed. My computer is running quicker, the install and transfer of files and settings(the big one here) was pretty dayum simple. I had my system back up and running in less than a few hours from a new install, just as if it was the old install. Seriously the only change I see is that it is running quicker. AND! Wireless worked out of the box.
    This install was from 14.04 to 16.04. I have not read all of the documentation on what is and has changed, but I like what I see!
    PS- This is on the laptop in my sig.
    That's all!
    Laptop - Lenovo-IdeaPad-S340-15IWL,i3-8145U CPU @ 2.10GHz, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD , 20.04 Linux Mint
    Desktop - Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 Intel Core i7--2600 3.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, 16.04 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Marked me impressed!

I am glad all went will with your install and that you like it so much. I installed ubuntu mate 16.04 and it worked will the first time too.

Beans

Linux is very boring these days. Usually it "Just Works". If you want excitement, try installing Windows 10...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have had nothing but good experiences installing on three totally different computers: an 11" HP Stream, my custom-built high-end desktop, and my mid-range Toshiba Satellite Pro L510. Xubuntu-core all of them. Not an issue.

Will be installing on my wife's new MSI sometime this week and expecting (hoping) that will go as seamlessly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and it works great..I've never had a hard time with Ubuntu and used 10 10 long after support ended. I used EOS for a good long while,but it's just so locked down,it's sad.
    Anyway,I'm glad it's worked out for you.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I had a few relatively minor issues, but I've been able to workaround them. Since then, I've been feeling really good about Xenial (v16.04 LTX) on my Ubuntu Studio distro.
    My other computer is really comfortably running v14.04.x LTS but I think I will try upgrading it later this summer.

I turned a nice corner when I found out how to do offline upgrades with elsewhere-downloaded .DEB files. Thanks to that, I got my home system running smoothly.
    I've been working on a lot of music lately.
    May Peace Prevail for Life in all Realms of Creation --Masahisa Goi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Agreed, my only issue has been the classic one of third party debs not installing properly through the Software Center.

That's where gdebi comes in for me.

Glad all went well for you!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Twas impressed too. As I said before, I only Installed Xubuntu 16.04 on this older desktop to try an app I was having trouble with in 14.04.1. Turns out, it was an user error in 14.04, again.

But, I liked 16.04 so much, I went ahead and spent the ~ 25 hours I usually spend configuring it to my liking. It really is smooth.

My initial plan had been to do my first LTS release-upgrade or whatever it is called from 14.04 for the experience. Now, I want this 16.04 in its' pristine state. I may still do the release-upgrade from 14.04.1 just for the sake of trying it. I was going to wait until the .1 release of 16.04 as I always do with fresh installs but, I think I will do it for the experience sooner than later now then, in all probability I'll update-grub in 16.04 and do away with it. Oh, for the hell of it, I tried Ubuntu 16.04 and its' running smoothly too. I haven't given it the symlinking to my data partition yet though, so I haven't given it the full user test yet and, it has been so long since I installed Unity, I really don't have any reference to compare it to.