Thread: Xubuntu 16.04 - USB modeswitch doesn't happen automatically upon restart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Xubuntu 16.04 - USB modeswitch doesn't happen automatically upon restart

I've recently upgraded from 15.10 to 16.04 LTS and found that its a very fine product compared to its predecessor. However, one nagging bug still remains that I faced today. When I start my computer or restart it from hibernation, my mobile broadband dongle (Huawei) doesn't modeswitch automatically. When I do lsusb, it is shown as a mass-storage device. However, when I run the following command manually, it gets registered as a dongle and I'm able to connect:

usb_modeswitch -v xxxx -p xxxx -J

The xxxx actually is for my vendor-id and product-id, of course. What I want to know is whether this is the right way to manually mode-switch or not? I learned from the man pages that -J parameter is used to send a message to Huawei modems. But there is also a -R parameter for restart, so should I try that one?Also, I've gotgot another dongle with me which is ZTE. Since the man pages don't recommend a parameter for ZTE, what should it be in that case?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by prahladyeri; May 30th, 2016 at 04:56 PM.