Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Beans

Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Any chance we could get a script for the amd64 install like the one posted for 32 bit?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darrenleeweber View Post
    HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Gutsy-Gibbon amd64

I used all the tricks in the original post, but gutsy-amd64 needs some modifications.

After the first installation failed, I used ldd to check the config, ie:

Code:
    sudo ldd ~/.juniper_networks/network_connect/ncsvc
    That helped to identify what was missing. I had already installed some 32bit packages for gutsy-amd64, eg:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    sudo apt-get install ia32-sun-java5-bin
    sudo apt-get install ia32-sun-java6-bin
    (There is no equivalent for the ia32-sun-javaX-jre.)

For libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2, I did the following (maybe not the best way to do this, but it worked for me):

Code:
    sudo -i
    cd /usr/src
    wget http://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/pool/main/g/gcc-2.95/libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-27_i386.deb
    dpkg-deb -x libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-27_i386.deb   libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-27_i386
    mv libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-27_i386/usr/lib/* /usr/lib32/
    mv libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-27_i386/usr/share/doc/libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 /usr/share/doc/
    rm -rf libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-27_i386
    rm libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-27_i386.deb
    For libssl symbolic links, I used:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/libssl.so.0.9.8  /usr/lib32/libssl.so.0
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib32/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0
    After that, it works, hurrah!

Thanks so much for the original post, it was a life saver for me! I still hate their flaky installation scripts that have not been updated now in years!
    Thanks a lot man! It works for me.

Beans

OK... I'm running Gutsy AMD64 and followed all the instructions in this post (and then some!!!). The question I have is how are you folks getting Java5/6 running in the first place???? I install them and my Firefox can't find the plugins so when I bring up the company VPN site I can't even get the Juniper stuff to download because "JRE is missing/Java not installed". I Googled all over and everyone has problems with Java5/6 on Gusty-64; according to those posts the only solution is IcedTea. I tried IcedTea and even though that seems to be working in Firefox (Java test at Sun's website comes up just fine) Juniper - at least the ver my co. uses - won't launch with IcedTea. How are you folks getting Java5/6 to run Firefox 64-bit in the first place??? - BTW, I do have the ia32-libs installed.

Any ideas!?!?!?!?!?!?

I had Juniper working just fine on my old notebook running i386 Feisty but since the boss approved a new NB with Core2Dual I figured I'd upgrade to Gutsy AMD64. Everything else is working... this is my last hurdle!!!!!! AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Beans

I got this working with no issues on Gutsy.

I did everything the OP did, but added:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0 /lib/libssl.so.0

For some reason, it didn't work until I added the symlink.

Basically, it's:
    Code:
    # sudo -s
    # aptitude install openssl libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 sun-java5-bin sun-java5-jre
    # ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/rpm
    # ln -s libssl.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0
    # ln -s /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0 /lib/libssl.so.0
    # passwd
    (enter your su password)
    # exit
    It's just a matter restarting firefox and logging in.

-K

Beans

Yep... I already tried that (I think it was mentioned earlier on in the post)... I also tried:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib32/libcrypto.so.0
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib32/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.0

because I saw that in this or some other post (my head is swimming from all the posts I've searched).

Beans

Where do you obtain "ncsvc" or access "network connect" in the first place?
    I installed all the necessary packages and symlinks, but I don't see any "network connect" button/link even after having logged-in through firefox. It just tries to launch up the SAM just like on windows ie6...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

@zefew,

it's a matter of rights you have on the Juniper Secure Access system, to which you connect. There are 2 methods, SAM (Secure Access Manager) and NC (Network Connect). SAM is for allowing a particular Client Server application to be tunneled thru SSL (think of a kind of port forwarding), NC is more like an IPSEC tunnel, but over SSL. The administrator of the Juniper SA decides on your access rights. So If you haven't granted permission for NC, but for SAM, you can't use it. I don't know if someone has implemented SAM on Linux, but I don't think so.

Thomas

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by muellthos View Post
    @zefew,

it's a matter of rights you have on the Juniper Secure Access system, to which you connect. There are 2 methods, SAM (Secure Access Manager) and NC (Network Connect). SAM is for allowing a particular Client Server application to be tunneled thru SSL (think of a kind of port forwarding), NC is more like an IPSEC tunnel, but over SSL. The administrator of the Juniper SA decides on your access rights. So If you haven't granted permission for NC, but for SAM, you can't use it. I don't know if someone has implemented SAM on Linux, but I don't think so.

Thomas
    Though your post pretty much closes my hopes to be able to connect to one of the the company VPNs (it has many..) on linux, at least I'm clear on the issues. Thanks, Thomas.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

I've had trouble getting this working in gutsy amd64. To get this working, I did:

• ...not use the installed firefox. I downloaded one from http://getfirefox.com
    • Installed the java5 packages
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install ia32-sun-java5-bin sun-java5-bin sun-java5-jdk sun-java5-jre
    • linked the java plugin to the mozilla plugin directory
      Code:
      cd ~/.mozilla/plugins
      ln -sf /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.13/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

Beans

PoD,

Did you ever figure out your timeout issue?

Thanks,

beltratc

Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast