Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Hm. I never get any kind of popup asking for a root password. I wonder if something didn't "take" during your install, so the system thinks that you need to reinstall every time you start. You might try adding back the /usr/bin/rpm symbolic link and see if that helps at all.
    "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist

Beans

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
    Hm. I never get any kind of popup asking for a root password. I wonder if something didn't "take" during your install, so the system thinks that you need to reinstall every time you start. You might try adding back the /usr/bin/rpm symbolic link and see if that helps at all.
    Hi...

As you say in #4, in Feisty /bin/sh is a symbolic link to /bin/dash, so, why not to change that to /bin/bash (like it is in Debian and other distros):

Code:
    sudo ln -sf /bin/bash /bin/sh
    Does it has other "side effects"???

P.D. i used to work with Debian and the reinstall window didn't show every time i logged on... because it uses bash, i've changed in Feisty and stopped showing

Beans
    Distro

It's an option. In theory it shouldn't break anything, because dash is a 100% POSIX conforming shell (at least that's the goal) with no (or at least hardly any) extra added features, while bash is supposed to be a strict superset (almost, esp. if you set POSIXLY_CORRECT) of POSIX sh. So, any script that works in dash should work the same way in bash.

However, for myself I'm not willing to go that route. Call me a purist or anal retentive or whatever you want, but this "/bin/sh is /bin/bash" strikes me as the latest version of "all the world's a VAX" (for those of you old enough to remember what that means ) and I refuse to give in.

Changing /bin/sh on your system is NEVER something to take lightly. I prefer to fix the shell scripts, as my attachment in #12 does.

Beans

I have replaced those files [installNC and xlaunch] with the ones in attachment, but I am still getting the pop-up.

I will install Debian/Ubuntu in one more m/c that I have here and try out from the beginning and reply with what I observe. I gotta give back something too, right!!

Beans
    Distro

Did you use the "chattr +i" thing on them after you replaced them, as described in the post #4 ?

The Juniper software has the annoying habit of unpacking the package fresh every time you start the connector, thus overwriting any changes you made to it previously. Setting the files immutable will "fix" this.

See, I told you this software was very badly designed!

Beans

MadScientist, you may be mad, but you rock! Your scripts + instructions worked flawlessly in Feisty Fawn on an IBM T41 on Fawn 7.04 running patches as of 9/5/2007.

-wds

btw - I work for Juniper and have reflected the need to support Ubuntu and the editorial comments about our scripts to the product manager...I'll update the thread if I hear anything productive.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks weekdaysailor! Support for Ubuntu would be great, but as I've mentioned before just having valid POSIX shell scripts instead of the broken mess we get today would go a long way towards lessening the pain.

It looks like we're going to have to replace the old saying "all the world's not a VAX" with "all the world's not Red Hat"

Beans

For some reason about a week ago my Network Connect quit working (and had been working fine) I checked the ln for true and rpm. I check the ln for the libssl

I also removed all the files in $HOME/.juniper_networks/network_connect/ and retried still no go. I'm wondering if I have updated a package that broke a dependency or something.

This is the only thing in the ncui.log and yes I'm typing the password correctly:
    20070910210414.493096 ncui[17246] ncapp.info New ncapp log level set to 3 (nccommon.cpp:75)
    20070910210414.493165 ncui[17246] ncui.info read from params... (nccommon.cpp:121)
    20070910210414.493235 ncui[17246] ncapp.panic Failed to read password from prompt (nccommon.cpp:591)

Thoughts as to what to try next?

Beans

I slagged my install and started over (video crap driving me crazy) so I had a chance to re-do this howto. But this time I tested after every step and did NOT have to use the scripts Mad provided. (Feisty on IBM T41). In the meantime our SA box has been upgraded.

My point? Other things may have changed besides your OS. Check with your network admin and see if they upgraded or changed configs recently.

Cheers,

-Keith

Beans
    Distro

Interesting. What version of netconnect are you seeing now? It'd be nice to know when they fixed this.

Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast