Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Hm, interesting. I wonder if you have a very different version; yours seems to need Motif, which someone else mentioned in an earlier post here but which my version definitely does not need.

After an unsuccessful start, do you still have a ~/.juniper_networks directory? Can you look at the file ~/.juniper_networks/network_connect/version.txt? If so what does it say?
    "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist

What version do you have?
    I think mine is an early version

When i check the version, this is what i see

dachinster@Ubuntu:~/.juniper_networks/network_connect$ cat version.txt
    Version: 1.0
    dachinster@Ubuntu:~/.juniper_networks/network_connect$
    Last edited by dachinster; June 6th, 2007 at 06:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro

My version is 1.2. It seems like older versions of the tool might have been written in Motif? If you look at post #3 on this thread there's one from someone else who also had to install Motif (lesstif is an open source reimplementation of Motif) to get his VPN working. Start there and see if that helps at all.

Of course, you could also ask your IT folks to upgrade to the newer version; I'm sure there must be some security and other bug fixes that would be nice to have anyway.

Beans

Just want to check I'm not missing a trick or two here:

1 Should I expect to connect to a Windows Citrix server using Juniper VPN on Ubuntu, or will this only work if I attempt to connect to the Citrix server using a Windows PC?

2 If the answer to above is yes I should be able to connect to a Windows Citrix server using Ubuntu and Juniper VPN, does the Citrx server have to be configured to handle a session from my Ubuntu box, or should it all work seamlessly?

Thanks

Paul

Beans
    Distro

Citrix doesn't have anything to do with Juniper VPN as far as I'm aware. If you need the Juniper VPN working in order to get network access to the Citrix server, and that you cannot get the VPN running, then we might be able to help if you describe the problem.

If you have the VPN running (or don't need it) and you're trying to get the Citrix client working, we can't help there: you want to look at a thread dealing with Citrix, like this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=17979

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I am trying to follow the instructions on the first post, but I am seeing a few issues.

I'm running Ubuntu Fiesty (7.04 AM64).

First, I cannot install the c++ libs libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2-0. They cannot be found by either apt-get or aptitude.

I did try installing any other libc++ stuff I could find:
    Code:
    libstdc++5, libstdc++6, libglib2.0-0, libglib-java
    I did try using the RPM package with Alien, but still the same behavior as follows. With Alien and RPM I tried both with and without the "fake-rpm" step before and after the alien install.

I see the Java download page, but I only get about 3 or 4 blocks in on the progress bar before FireFox just crashes (disappears).

If I look at the setup version file on my windows machine after connecting, this is what I see:
    Code:
    [Setup]
    DisplayVersion=5.5.0.11711
    DisplayName=Setup
    SecurityPatch=1
    I have just tried the lesstif install and the same result.

Anyone have any ideas why I cannot get it to work? How can I get more debug or log information to help find out what my problem is?

Final point: my ~/.juniper_networks folder is empty.

Beans
    Distro

First let me say that I wouldn't be at all surprised if the kit didn't work on a 64bit system. Although it's obviously quite possible to run 32bit apps on a 64bit system, it requires the person creating the kit to do it carefully and properly, and in my experience most 3rd party proprietary software doesn't do that.

So, you may be out of luck unless you install a 32bit version of Ubuntu on your 64bit system (which will work, but seems a shame). Or, you could try to do something super-fancy like create a 32bit chroot environment or something--but you'll have to go elsewhere for help with that.

That being said:

I checked my current install of Network Connect and it does not appear to require the old libstdc++ version 2 any longer: at least none of the programs on my system use it (according to ldd). So, either only the installer uses it or that requirement has changed since the version I was using last summer. If the former then you'll need to

Second, I'm not sure what you mean when you said you used alien on the RPM. What RPM? When I did my install everything downloaded from the server and unpacked into my home directory by default. There was no RPM installed, and nothing was installed into /usr or any other restricted directory.

Third, that version you see on your windows system is completely unrelated to the Linux version.

I think you need to re-ask your question with more precise details, because I couldn't really understand where the problem was from what you posted. So, you connect to your remote server using FireFox and that works, right? Then you see the Network Connect button and you click that, right? Then... what happens?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Angry Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

I was working with our IT guy who was using the VPN on his Fedora machine... He has admin access to the VPN appliance where the application installers are located. So we tried downloading the RPM installer and then converting it using alien. That doesn't seem to really install it properly either. So I have removed it, alien and rpm.

I have tried again with lesstif and libmotif3 installed but still my browser crashes.

So to clarify what I was doing:
    Yes, I can reach the logon page for my remote VPN.
    Originally the default preferences were set to automatically load the "Network Connect" application upon logging on, and thus immediately after logging on the java download/ install progress bar is shown.
    Now, I have changed the preferences to manually start the application.

Upon clicking on start, the java icon image is shown on a new page with a progress bar above it. The first two blocks of the progress bar complete very quickly. The third and then fourth take about 20secs to reach. The fourth block is painted and within 2secs of that - firefox disappears!!! Process, everything, gone.

I'm not sure where to look to find more information about why this happens. I have even left the root password enabled???

Please, any hints or let me know what commands to run in order to tell you what is installed that may be relevant.

While I cannot currently connect directly from linux, I have been able to run the machine in a vm using physical drive mappings. Using NAT allows the linux install to piggy back my windows VPN connection when it is active.

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunately I don't have any great ideas for you. If FireFox goes down that seems to me to imply that at least the installer plugin is doing something very bad. I'm still pretty suspicious about the 64bit thing. The only place any sort of error log would appear would be in the ~/.juniper_networks directory I believe.

I suppose if you get desperate you could try running strace on the PID and see if it reveals anything interesting.

Something else you might try is booting your system off of a 32bit Ubuntu LiveCD, and trying to get onto the VPN using that. Alternatively, since you have VMWare you could try installing a 32bit Ubuntu in VMWare and see if the VPN works there.

If it works in either of these situations, you'll have to file a bug report with Juniper and ask them to support 64bit Linux.

If you do get it installed and working in a 32bit environment you might try copying the installation stuff into your 64bit home directory and see if it works there. I've seen software where only the installer was broken under 64bit, but once it was installed it worked fine.

Beans

Works perfectly in feisty. Just had to get the newest java plugin for firefox.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-ins...in-ubuntu.html.

Now I really can think of why I need windows.
    Thanks!

Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast