Page 42 of 56 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Beans

Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Still struggling.

I am using a old P-III computer running Ubuntu 10.10 maverick, I followed the exact procedures provided by Mad-scientist:

1. create a password for root;
    2. install java stuff;
    3.restart firefox 3.6.10

My problem is installNC.sh is not runing when start firefox, but I am able to log into my company's VPN network and check email which is located under "web bookmarks". But when I click on the icon under "terminal sessions", it gives me "The terminal session is not supported on your computer".

Any ideas?

Beans

Hi, juniper freak's!

Ahm...I want to use a network connect on my Ubuntu 10.10. I have install a Mad Scientist script in run it, but nothing happend... see the screenshot!

i don't have any idea, why does it not worK!

p.s.: sorry for my english....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by N3M3BasaT View Post
    Hi, juniper freak's!

Ahm...I want to use a network connect on my Ubuntu 10.10. I have install a Mad Scientist script in run it, but nothing happend... see the screenshot!

i don't have any idea, why does it not worK!
    Not sure what you mean by "nothing happened"... it looks to me like the connection started. You have the GUI application visible and the status is "Connected" and you have an IP address. It's a bit odd that your send/receive bytes are zero but... can you be more clear as to what you mean by "it does not work"? What are you trying to do, that doesn't work?
    "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "nothing happened"... it looks to me like the connection started. You have the GUI application visible and the status is "Connected" and you have an IP address. It's a bit odd that your send/receive bytes: are zero but... can you be more clear as to what you mean by "it does not work"? What are you trying to do, that doesn't work?
    I'm a newbie in this water....but....I get it work now. I thought that will pop-up some Java window with some remote desktop viewer and connect to my office PC in that way, but then I found out that is just a connection with my pc and my job network. Then I extra lunch a Terminal Server Client and enter my office pc IP and connect.

p.s.: ok, my english sux! **** it! if I'm drunk I speak very well!

THANX ANYWAY!!!!

madscientist - I respect you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I also am having problems. I have tried all of the procedures mad scientist has provided but everytime I try to connect i get an IVE error 10......any ideas?
    I understand it completely, grappled hopelessly with comprehension, balanced on the edge of insanity for an eternity.....a moment.

Beans

MadScientist,Thank you SO MUCH for your script. Also a big thanks to all the other contributors to this thread. I tried a number of different suggestions on this thread and initially did not want to use MadScientist's script (I'm a newbie to Linux/Ubuntu and really wanted to do this by myself). However, after trying a number of different solutions from this and other threads, I ended up caving in and using the script. Works perfect!

I can't be sure this will work for everyone, but for the record here is my config:
    Using 64-bit Ubuntu
    Firefox (64 or 32 bit doesn't matter) 3.6.13
    Java 32-bit
    MadScientist's script.
    network Connect 6.4.0

My 1st attempt with pre-installed Firefox, OpenSDK updated to Sun's 32-bit JRE did not work. A clean install of everything worked. So, for me, the turning point was completely getting rid of (via Synaptic Manager remove) OpenSDK, my previous unsuccessful attempt at installing SunJava and Firefox.

With none of these installed, I downloaded and installed firefox from the mozilla website
    I then installed Sun JRE
    (sudo aptitude install sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre
    sudo aptitude install ia32-sun-java6-bin)
    Type 'about: plugins' in Firefox address bar to ensure Sun's java plugins are listed. Javascript is enabled (pop-ups from the site are enabled ...not taking any chances)
    Download NC 6.4.0 (via your VPN website)
    Download the script and follow steps from MadScientist's site (http://mad-scientist.us/juniper.html)
    Last edited by DigitalSymphony; January 12th, 2011 at 07:40 PM.

Beans

Ok I've tried this several times over many distros. On Fedora 14 32bit I get it to work without any problem what so ever. I however can't get it to run on any 64bit arch what so ever. Following directions to the "T" I get the java error 10. It appears to be related to the C/C++ cache cleaner 32bit lib that is missing... please see the attached screenshot... I'm currently testing this on a brand new Ubuntu 64bit 10.10 install, perhaps there is some library I forgot to install that you guys naturally have on your systems?

List of everything I have installed / run includes...
    Enable Canonical Repo for sun-java...
    sudo yum install build-essentials
    sudo yum install g++ gcc
    sudo yum install make automake autoconf autoconf2.13 autoconf-archive gnu-standards autoconf-doc libtool gettext gettext-doc libtool-doc gcj
    sudo apt-get install ia32-sun-java6-bin
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre
    sudo install rpm (With Alien tools etc)
    and then finally after connecting the the VPN site and downloading the files etc as per the manual I go to run junipernc, and get the error as in the image above.

These errors show up on both a clean physical install of 10.10 64bit, and also on 10.10 64bit vmware virtual machine. Anyone able to help on what I can do to fix this issue?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nitecon View Post
    Ok I've tried this several times over many distros. On Fedora 14 32bit I get it to work without any problem what so ever. I however can't get it to run on any 64bit arch what so ever. Following directions to the "T" I get the java error 10. It appears to be related to the C/C++ cache cleaner 32bit lib that is missing... please see the attached screenshot... I'm currently testing this on a brand new Ubuntu 64bit 10.10 install, perhaps there is some library I forgot to install that you guys naturally have on your systems?

List of everything I have installed / run includes...
    Enable Canonical Repo for sun-java...
    sudo yum install build-essentials
    sudo yum install g++ gcc
    sudo yum install make automake autoconf autoconf2.13 autoconf-archive gnu-standards autoconf-doc libtool gettext gettext-doc libtool-doc gcj
    sudo apt-get install ia32-sun-java6-bin
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre
    sudo install rpm (With Alien tools etc)
    and then finally after connecting the the VPN site and downloading the files etc as per the manual I go to run junipernc, and get the error as in the image above.

These errors show up on both a clean physical install of 10.10 64bit, and also on 10.10 64bit vmware virtual machine. Anyone able to help on what I can do to fix this issue?
    I was getting the same error FOREVER. I've never been able to connect from 64 bit linux. I have done the mad scientist thing tons of times and never could stay connected.

UTIL!!
    I found out that your realm is very important and cannot be blank!

To find out your realm name:
    1) Go to the website you use to login and install NC (the actual login page with the user name and password fields)
    2) View source on the page and ctrl+f for realm.
    3) You should see and input or option field with name="realm".
    4) If it's a hidden input just look for the value="<your-ream-name>" Thats your realm name enter it when using mad scientist's script. If it's an option field find the one you would select from and again look for the value=.

Worked like charm finally have access from my preferred OS!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by ejjp View Post
    In feisty the script of madscientist worked ok. Now I have a eee-pc with debian lenny (with lxde) and an user with the sudo power. Iceweseal, sunjava6, ... I think that I follow the how-to to perfectly as before, however I do not able to dowload the .juniper_network folder. I have tarred my .juniper folder from feisty and put in the debian system and when run junipernc.sh (the first time ask me the sudo password, I fill the fields with my user, host...password, a new .vpn.crt is generated, the file .vpn.cfg is correct according to the new location and then appears this message:

:~$ junipernc.sh
    Searching for ncsvc in current working directory
    Searching for ncsvc in /home/ejjp/.juniper_networks/network_connect done.
    ncsvc> Failed to setuid to root. Error 1: Operation not permitted
    java: ncui.cpp:262: void NCUI::run(): Assertion `m_conn->isConnected()' failed.
    /usr/bin/junipernc.sh: line 265: 3064 Abortado "$java" -jar "$_ncpath/NC.jar" -h "$HOST" -u "$USER" -p "$password" -f "$CERT" -r "$REALM"
    I also was getting ...

Code:
    ncsvc> Failed to setuid to root. Error 1: Operation not permitted

This error only started after I moved my home directory over to a new partition as described here ...
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pa...ng/Home/Moving

I realized it had to do with the mounting parameters set in /etc/fstab. Changed nosuid to suid ...

UUID=???? /home ext4 nodev,nosuid 0 2

to

UUID=???? /home ext4 nodev,suid 0 2

I'm back to working again.
    Last edited by MikeG0; January 23rd, 2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: add more info

Beans

After a span of almost a year and countless different ways of trying to get ubuntu 64 bit to connect to my juniper VPN, I have finally gotten it to work and the solution was something I would have never though of trying. For those of you who are still unsuccessful with the mad-scientist script or get IVE errors, then you need to try the directions here: http://wireless.siu.edu/install-ubuntu-64.htm

This has been the only solution that has worked for me and i think I almost jumped out of my chair when i was able to get network connect to work!

let me know if anyone needs any help.

good luck everyone!

Page 42 of 56 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast