Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Beans

Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Alright, nevermind. I tried Alf's suggestion again and ran:

Code:
    sudo update-java-alternatives -s ia32-java-6-sun

one more time, and it worked this time. Juniper starts up now, but now I get an error saying invalid credentials. Probably that realm issue he was talking about, but my IT department doesn't seem to have ever heard of Juniper asking for a realm. So at this point, I'm just at a loss. All my other information is correct. Unless maybe I'm supposed to connect to a specific port on the server? Probably not. The program's working, though. So, I got that far. Only took me a couple days to get me this far.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by binukavumkal View Post
    I have not done any set up. My Company uses Juniper SSL. They use Elusiva Everywhere session Java RDP.
    Very little is required of the Linux client when setting up a VPN Terminal Services session via Juniper with javaRDP and Elusiva Everywhere. Review "How do I download and install Java for my Linux computer?" at <http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml>.

Using Firefox 3.0.10 and Kubuntu/Ubuntu 8.04.2, the link in /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins was
    ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.07/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

My VPN preparation was complete after a successful test at <http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp>.

search terms:
    Ubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Firefox
    Juniper
    VPN
    Terminal Services
    Java Remote Desktop
    javaRDP
    Elusiva Everywhere

Beans

Shekibobo:

Did you have a look at the HTML source of the log-in page?

On my juniper log-in page, I found the following:

<input type="hidden" name="realm" value="REALMNAME">

Search for name="realm" in the HTML. This should be fixed. The value parameter is the name of the realm. (In this case REALMNAME)

I'm also on ubuntu 9.04 64-bit. I manage to get the juniper java applet running from shell (not using browser), but I cannot connect.

I'm not sure if it's my setup or I just use wrong parameters for the connection. And... unfortunately I'm afraid the IT-guys at the company have no idea..

Beans

Could someone pls explain in detail how to get this to work on a jaunty 64-bit cleaninstall?

TY. Buellman

Edit: This is where I am so far:
    - installed ia32-java-6-sun
    - installed Opera as Epiphany and Firefox didn't dl the things that are in .juniper_networks. With Opera I now have the content in this hidden folder
    - I tried starting ncui with Opera over the Webinterface of the VPN I would like to use. The popup comes where I get asked for my root-pass. I hit 2 times Enter. The dialogue disapears but ncui doesn't start
    - I tried the script from the Topic-Starter. All I get is:
    "Could not unpack Juniper Network Connect!
    Check the error log file '/tmp/junipernc.10976' for more information."
    The log tells me:
    "Run as: ./junipernc
    ./junipernc: 228: jar: not found"

So what do I do wrong?
    Last edited by buellman; May 19th, 2009 at 01:10 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dsmex View Post
    Shekibobo:

Did you have a look at the HTML source of the log-in page?

On my juniper log-in page, I found the following:

<input type="hidden" name="realm" value="REALMNAME">

Search for name="realm" in the HTML. This should be fixed. The value parameter is the name of the realm. (In this case REALMNAME)

I'm also on ubuntu 9.04 64-bit. I manage to get the juniper java applet running from shell (not using browser), but I cannot connect.

I'm not sure if it's my setup or I just use wrong parameters for the connection. And... unfortunately I'm afraid the IT-guys at the company have no idea..
    That did the trick. I appear to be connected, and.... awesome. I can now print to school computers directly from my laptop.

Thanks a ton, dsmex.

Beans

Somewhat to my surprise (and disappointment), I have been unable to get the Juniper Network Connect client working properly on 9.04, despite having used it successfully on 6.06, 7.10 & 8.04.

For completeness, the method I use is:

Code:
    $ sudo aptitude install sun-java6-bin
    $ sudo aptitude install sun-java6-plugin
    $ sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre

$ sudo aptitude install libmotif3

$ sudo dpkg -i libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-24_i386.deb

(libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-24_i386.deb is a package originally supplied with 7.10)

$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib/libssl.so.2
    $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.2
    $ sudo ldconfig

sudo passwd root (to enable root account for first client installation)
    This works perfectly, as previously mentioned, on 6.06, 7.10 & 8.04.

On 9.04 it works up to a point in that after connecting to the SSL VPN gateway using Firefox and clicking "Network Connect Start" the Java applet runs, the Network Connect client connects, establishes a connection and is allocated a VPN IP address (confirmed by the presence of a tun0 interface with that IP address allocated to it in the output of the ifconfig command).

However, the Network Connect VPN connection remains connected for 5-10 seconds only then the connection drops out.

My guess is that Network Manager is being too clever (for want of a better term) and is dropping the Network Connect VPN connection because it didn't initiate it. That is only a guess though since there is nothing in the various log files in /var/log, nor ~/.juniper_networks/network_connect/ncui.log (nor runnc.log) to indicate what is actually happening.

Has anyone managed to get the Juniper SSL VPN Network Connect client working properly on a new installation of 9.04? If so, a detailed, specific, point by point step by step guide would be helpful.

Beans

@ Riverside:
    Have you tried it with Opera? I tried to get it work with a cleaninstall of 9.04 (32bit) and didn't even get the Network-Connect client to start with firefox nor epiphany. With Opera it worked for me. Maybe you try that?

Greets. Buellman

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buellman View Post
    @ Riverside:
    Have you tried it with Opera? I tried to get it work with a cleaninstall of 9.04 (32bit) and didn't even get the Network-Connect client to start with firefox nor epiphany. With Opera it worked for me. Maybe you try that?
    I'm fairly certain that wouldn't help with my issue, since my issue doesn't concern installation and launch of the Network Connect client but rather keeping an active SSL VPN connection active once the Network Connect client has successfully launched.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

1) Can someone post a tar.gz (after deleting log files, etc) of his ~/.juniper_networks folder. I can't install the client on my machine, because my corporate network is forcing a policy via the "Host Checker" facility and I don't get an option to install "Network Connect". I need a copy of the "Network Connect" client for Linux. I am using Ubuntu 9.04 (32-bit)

2) For those trying to use split tunneling.
    a) The split tunneling is normally setup on the server side, i.e. the server administrator determines if they want to allow it
    http://forums.juniper.net/jnet/board...message.id=505
    b) Even if the server side is not allowing split tunneling and it's pushing all the traffic trough the VPN, it is still possible to workaround the problem. The issue is with the client — probably based on server-side policy - it aggressively shuts down all other network connections and forces the exclusive use of the VPN connection. Manual changes to the routing table are quickly reverted by a daemon, who deletes the changes.

I have found a way around this by not adding a default gateway, but instead add add multiple specific roting rules.

For start I would suggest that you try it with only one specific host. Ultimately you will need a script that will add all the appropriate networks that should be going trough the VPN first, then add the more generic rule at the end.

Let me know if you need more specific information. I have this working under Windows.
    Ubuntu 9.10 (32-bit) --- HP mini 311 (stock) All hardware works out of the box, including suspend. You can play HD movies. Battery lasts more than 4 hours. Only issue is flash on full screen is choppy. Waiting for Adobe to improve performance on ION

Beans

Thanks all, in particular MadScientist.

I think I have a new issue to report; for me, running MadScientist's junipernc script made /etc/resolv.conf owned by root and mode 0640, i.e., -rw-r-----, meaning I could not read it. This prevented any host (inside and outside the VPN) from being resolved. It is easily repaired by running sudo chmod a+r /etc/resolv.conf after logging in, or by editing the script. This is with juniper version 6.3.0 (that's what ~/.juniper_networks/network_connect/version.txt says, anyway).

Erik.

Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast