Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Websites trying to FORCE you to use Microsoft products - its driving me NUTS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Websites trying to FORCE you to use Microsoft products - its driving me NUTS!

I am almost about to throw up because MSNBC's wesbite REQUIRES you to use Microsoft products (Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player). I know MSNBC is partly owned by Microsoft, but that is no excuse to force people to use one product or another, and not be accepting of alternative products.

Like I told MSNBC, I praise Microsoft in much of what it does, but this is clearly not acceptable, and I don't blame Microsoft. What's going on lies with MSNBC.

I am boycotting those *******, the website and channel, and I've complained with Microsoft and the MSNBC website. I am also going to complain with NBC.

While I am doing that, I should say something to CNN about its WMP requirement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Websites trying to FORCE you to use Microsoft products - its driving me NUTS!

It doesn't drive me nuts, but I don't return if the content is incompatible with Linux. I don't think of it as a boycott, after all I don't really have a choice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Websites trying to FORCE you to use Microsoft products - its driving me NUTS!

i do find it annoying sometimes when you have to use IE as if they did not know FF or Opera exsited.
    || Intel i7 Ivy 3.6ghz (OC) || Nvidia 675m 2gig GDDR5|| 12 gigs DDR3 ||

Gaming in Linux is Easy Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

you should complain to microsoft while you're at it. their stuff is never standards compliant, and makes it more difficult for developers to make web pages that will work for everybody.

Beans
    Hidden!

You'll probably get further with NBC than with Microsoft because NBC doesn't have an interest in locking consumers into Microsoft products by designing websites that only work with Internet Explorer and therefore only Windows. Unless of course NBC has an agreement with Microsoft that suggests or demands the use of Microsoft products on their websites--if they do then Microsoft is certainly the one to blame.

Beans
    Hidden!

It does drive me nuts.

Hopefully you are courteous with your complaints. Strong wording is good, but too strong and they will simply disregard your comments.

The furthest I've ever gotten with a complaint to a website was with NHL.com

NHL.com uses .wmv and .wma for their multimedia playback on the site. I asked them why they are preventing a dedicated NHL consumer from using their products, simply because of my OS of choice. I pointed out how popular linux is becoming, and how many others I have heard from with similar problems.

The response was not that they fixed the issue, but the person with IT was very friendly, and said he was sensitive to these issues, and gathers all the linux complaints specifically. He apologized, and said their use of MS codecs was a business decision, not a technical decision.

I know this is almost nothing, but it was a little satisfying that:
    1. I GOT A RESPONSE FROM A PERSON
    2. That someone in IT made a gesture that he was sympathetic to linux issues.

I'm sure if I was less polite I would have gotten neither. It's like the wheels may have turned, just ever so slightly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

nalmeth, here are the emails I sent;

Greetings (to the MSNBC competitor I went to instead),

I wish to praise the creators of this website making it accessible to users of different backgrounds (different operating system, different media player).

My utmost praise goes to the developers of this website, and wish you all the best.

I came here after facing frustration with MSNBC's lack of tolerance for users of other operating systems and media players wishing to force people to use Microsoft products (Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player).

Again, thank you, and as a form of appreciation, I will make sure to keep up with your advertisers.

By the way, I know MSNBC is owned partly by NBC.

------

(to Microsoft)

First of all, I should say there is no "problem." I am only here to lodge a complaint about the practices of MSNBC, which is partly owned by Microsoft. I have already complained with MSNBC's website, but I also wish to complain directly with Microsoft.

I have a serious problem with how MSNBC tries to force its users to use Microsoft-only products (Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player). This is extremely disrespectful of those who may not be interested in or completely oppose the use of those products. What acceptance of other operating systems and alternative products is there on MSNBC's website? None.

I've decided to boycott the MSNBC website and TV channel, and support its competitors. It's important this message is reached by Microsoft, because such gross practices by a company it partly owns should not be acceptable. I should mention I am quite fond of Microsoft, and this is not an anti-Microsoft tirade.

-----

Greetings (to MSNBC),

I wish to express my frustration over the use of MSNBC's website. While browsing the website, I decided to watch a video that was featured. Unfortunately, MSNBC's website has been purposely created in such a way that it is hostile to any product that is not Microsoft-made. While I praise and respect Microsoft in many ways, I am a user who does not want to be bound by their products, and for a website to virtually force their users to use Microsoft products (Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player) is unbelievably frustrating. I have intentionally abandoned Microsoft products, so why would I go back to it simply to watch a video?

I am sure that MSNBC will never adopt a more neutral perspective on the Internet by selecting a media player everyone can use, but it's always worth emailing a comment such as this. For this very stubborn stance, I decided to never EVER user MSNBC again. As a matter of fact, I have also decided to abandon watching MSNBC's channel. I will stand for consumers to be given a choice. Instead, I will browse competitor websites.

To follow up on this, I will also lodge a complaint with Microsoft, although I know MSNBC is a joint project between Microsoft and NBC.

As a last note, I've watched the video I wanted to watch on another website, and to show my appreciation for that other website's stance, I will make sure to check out their advertisers.

Beans

This is a total non-issue, if a site that you chose to go to wants you to have IE then get IE or go to some other site. Now if forced to go to the web page to the web page(voting, taxes, etc) then I can understand complaining.
    Last edited by bjweeks; August 9th, 2006 at 08:29 AM.

Beans

Bah, posted twice...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Yeah it is annoying, especially if you need to see the content. Just like the Flash situation at the minute.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast