Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VirtualBox on Ubuntu 14.04

Beans

VirtualBox on Ubuntu 14.04

[Before you read my thread, please note I'm on Ubuntu version 14.04 http://prnt.sc/b80w32. I have made a mistake In my thread title, my apologies for getting you guys confused.]

Hello,

I am kinda new to Ubuntu/Linux/Unix so please bare with me. I have purchased a virtual private server and installed Ubuntu 14.10 on the server, afterwards I have Installed VirtualBox on the server and I have created a Windows 7 machine. When I try starting up my box it gives me this error.

I tried using the command '/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup' to reinstall the kernel module but after pressing enter it gave me another error.

I tried going on Google to search for the kernel module, but I had no luck in finding the right Linux Header. I would appreciate it if you could help me out, I'm new to Linux and I'm trying to figure out this problem I am having.

Thanks,
    Matthew
    Last edited by matthew210; May 24th, 2016 at 10:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: VirtualBox on Ubuntu 14.10

Hello!

First, before we go anywhere: You do realize that 14.10 has passed its End Of Life date and is no longer supported, right?

Also: Some VPS vendors do not allow some modifications to kernel modules and may block this.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Hello!

First, before we go anywhere: You do realize that 14.10 has passed its End Of Life date and is no longer supported, right?
    No I didn't know that.... I'm sorry, any suggestions on what I should do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I would reinstall a supported LTS release. I use 14.04 on my servers. It is supported until 2019.

I haven't put 16.04 on my servers yet. I'll wait at least until the first point release.

How much time/data/software do you have invested in this installation?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I would reinstall a supported LTS release. I use 14.04 on my servers. It is supported until 2019.

I haven't put 16.04 on my servers yet. I'll wait at least until the first point release.

Well, the host I bought the server from only supports to Ubuntu 15.04. All I have on the machine is mate desktop environment, and Virtualbox at the moment. I was hoping this would work because I wanted to use a Virtualbox on the ubuntu machine and run Windows 7. What LTS release are supported? basically like I said the host only has up to version 15.04. There're other Linux/Unix OS but I'm not familiar with them as ubuntu.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The supported versions at present are 14.04, 15.10 and 16.04.

Like QIII, I would suggest 14.04 until the first point release, 16.04.1, due out in July, I believe.

14.04 is super stable and highly recommended in my opinion, but use either 14.04.1 or the most recent 14.04.4, though if you use that .4 point release you will need to update the hardware enablement stack packages (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack) in July. If you use the .1 version (or the original 14.04) it will retain support for everything until April 2019.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post

Like QIII, I would suggest 14.04 until the first point release, 16.04.1, due out in July, I believe.

14.04 is super stable and highly recommended in my opinion, but use either 14.04.1 or the most recent 14.04.4, though if you use that .4 point release you will need to update the hardware enablement stack packages (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack) in July. If you use the .1 version (or the original 14.04) it will retain support for everything until April 2019.
    Thank you for replying, I've got one question. How do I check what Ubuntu version I have Installed right now? Is there a command to check?

Thanks,
    Matthew

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes you can enter this in the terminal
    Code:
    lsb_release -a
    Will give you the current booted system.
    Kind Regards

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    Yes you can enter this in the terminal
    Code:
    lsb_release -a
    Will give you the current booted system.
    Kind Regards
    Thank you so much, I'm on Ubuntu version 14.04. I thought I was on Ubuntu version 14.10, my bad.

I just found out I'm on version Ubuntu version 14.04. (http://prnt.sc/b80w32) I thought I was on Ubuntu version 14.10, my bad. The question now is how do I fix this VirtualBox issue?

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post

I just found out I'm on version Ubuntu version 14.04. (http://prnt.sc/b80w32) I thought I was on Ubuntu version 14.10, my bad.

Beans
    Hidden!

Try this then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential dkms
    sudo apt-get remove --purge virtualbox-dkms
    Now Restart your VB and now issue this in the terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox-dkms
    EDIT: Sorry i had forgotten the last command was after restarting you Virtual Box
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; May 24th, 2016 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Fixed Commnads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast