Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My adventures on linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: My adventures on linux

Over my 12 years of using Linux, I've found I enjoy tweaking the appearance and the more i can tweak,the happier I become.
    That being said,for me,the most fun desktops are MATE and XFCE.
    You mentioned Fedora..Well,ages ago I used it and I found it to be very user friendly. I honestly
    could not tell much difference between it and Ubuntu. It was solid as a rock and easy to set up the way I liked it.
    I never had a moments problem with it.
    But I always end up back with Ubuntu,although Manjaro is on my other box since I wanted
    to see what it's like using a rolling release that is user friendly.It's working out nicely.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    Over my 12 years of using Linux, I've found I enjoy tweaking the appearance and the more i can tweak,the happier I become.
    You mentioned Fedora..Well,ages ago I used it and I found it to be very user friendly. I honestly
    could not tell much difference between it and Ubuntu. It was solid as a rock and easy to set up the way I liked it.
    I never had a moments problem with it.
    But I always end up back with Ubuntu,although Manjaro is on my other box since I wanted
    to see what it's like using a rolling release that is user friendly.It's working out nicely.
    I always end up back with ubuntu as well. I tried manjaro not too long ago, but was a bit disappointed with a major issue I faced right after installation. It was some error where I couldn't sync the repos correctly, and even though I was kindly told to go to their wiki page which did fix the issue, I thought welp, this isn't as user friendly as I thought it might be, so back to ubuntu it was.

I keep switching between unity, plasma 5, xfce, and mate...I can't decide what I like best hehe. I don't like gnome very much. Right now I'm leaning more towards xfce I think.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by user1397 View Post
    I always end up back with ubuntu as well. I tried manjaro not too long ago, but was a bit disappointed with a major issue I faced right after installation. It was some error where I couldn't sync the repos correctly, and even though I was kindly told to go to their wiki page which did fix the issue, I thought welp, this isn't as user friendly as I thought it might be, so back to ubuntu it was.

I keep switching between unity, plasma 5, xfce, and mate...I can't decide what I like best hehe. I don't like gnome very much. Right now I'm leaning more towards xfce I think.
    6 years in the linux thing, I always finished with ubuntu at the end too, but Unity was a great deception for me, to have to take out Unity every install was making me feel a little stupid in my choice, so I didnt left Ubuntu at 100%, I went to mint 3 years ago, and the way they polish it, and Cinnamon, has taken my heart. But I started in this forum, with Ubuntu 10.10, so I always have a place in my heart for it. Customizing the system is nice, but if you have to change almost everything, maybe you are not in the right distro.
    Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Good thread to read

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: My adventures on linux

I don't want to put all my eggs one basket,which is why I have a different distro on each box.
    That does sound unfortunate.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Talking Re: My adventures on linux

i used linux for a little while now, must say that i started using debian but the only problem is that it's stability has a very high cost, packages are outdated as hell but performance is quite good. About ubuntu, i mostly like its repositories, they are very recent packages but not too bleeding edge, the only thing that makes me have issues is the Performance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@omar_jair if you think Debian has outdated packgaes what would you say about my windows XP?

and like in windows you should be able to add backports and install newer apps on stable. although that could make it less stable.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I add the developer repositories of the apps i want up to date.
    20 years ago I ran Gentoo, safe to say I was unemployed an had no wife/children...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    grub should go where the system is and does go if using defautl install. in advanced version you can choose where you want it.
    Exactly. So if I install to sdb, why is GRUB on sda?

all have themse available and XFCE and KDE are known for being very customizable so you can make your own look or load the one (theme) you want.
    I actually moved to Cinnamon which I LOVE!

it's not terrible. latest ubuntu tablet - the only issue it seems to have (based on reviews) is that it is not responsive enough when running multiple apps. you plugin th ekeboard it behavs as desktop runnign deksotp aapps., unplug it and you have touch interface.
    Not terrible != Great

nope 14.04.4 - 16.04 will go live on .1 release. maybe not even then. quite happy with 14.04 for now.
    It was actually the application I use to manage files, Double Commander. Nautilus has no problems.

read again. you could corrupt (not saying it will 100% happen) your system windows partition if all NTFS were automounted. it is best to leave themunmounted and let the user decide if they need them to be mounted or if they will mount them. after all it is them takign the risk. data partitions are another matter, but how is OS going to know which one is data and which one OS? user will tell it.
    Maybe then ask the user which partitions to automount at install time or at least provide a user friendly way of choosing it?

create a script and run it on boot. for example: http://askubuntu.com/questions/814/h...ts-on-start-up
    I'm gonna try.

That is the good thing of choice. I'm on cinnamon and happy (I already f*cked ubuntu 5 times )

could not tell much difference between it and Ubuntu. It was solid as a rock and easy to set up the way I liked it. I never had a moments problem with it. But I always end up back with Ubuntu,although Manjaro is on my other box since I wanted to see what it's like using a rolling release that is user friendly.It's working out nicely.
    Nice. I would try once I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by user1397 View Post
    I always end up back with ubuntu as well. I tried manjaro not too long ago, but was a bit disappointed with a major issue I faced right after installation. It was some error where I couldn't sync the repos correctly, and even though I was kindly told to go to their wiki page which did fix the issue, I thought welp, this isn't as user friendly as I thought it might be, so back to ubuntu it was. I keep switching between unity, plasma 5, xfce, and mate...I can't decide what I like best hehe. I don't like gnome very much. Right now I'm leaning more towards xfce I think.
    I tried them all. And while I like things from each, I think graphically the best are Cinnamon, Unity and KDE. The others look too childish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancro View Post
    6 years in the linux thing, I always finished with ubuntu at the end too, but Unity was a great deception for me, to have to take out Unity every install was making me feel a little stupid in my choice, so I didnt left Ubuntu at 100%, I went to mint 3 years ago, and the way they polish it, and Cinnamon, has taken my heart. But I started in this forum, with Ubuntu 10.10, so I always have a place in my heart for it. Customizing the system is nice, but if you have to change almost everything, maybe you are not in the right distro.
    I wanted to try Mint, but after their security fiasco I'm not so sure. Also, I believe the best community is in Ubuntu. Maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by elliotn View Post
    Good thread to read
    THANKS!

I don't want to put all my eggs one basket,which is why I have a dihttp://tehparadox.com/forum/f73/lost-s05-complete-720p-bluray-11592938/fferent distro on each box.
    That does sound unfortunate.
    I only have one working system now. But That is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar_Jair View Post
    i used linux for a little while now, must say that i started using debian but the only problem is that it's stability has a very high cost, packages are outdated as hell but performance is quite good. About ubuntu, i mostly like its repositories, they are very recent packages but not too bleeding edge, the only thing that makes me have issues is the Performance.
    That is why I choose Ubuntu LTS!

Quote Originally Posted by izznogooood View Post
    I add the developer repositories of the apps i want up to date.
    Yep. That is why I do.

Beans

Since 2011, various software has existed to write raw image files to USB flash drives.
    I really felt good about my learning adventures with Linux: Mint, Mate, Linux Lite, Fedora, Ubuntu 64-bit version and Cinnamon thus far.
    I started getting used these and found them all it to be very user friendly some capable of handling of the industrial size loads I try to operate with on my old Dell Laptops. Thanks to the free software, package, or application installation mechanism and the installer for the system itself.
    ie.. Playing games, Gaming Development software/Graphics and Video/Audio Players and Editors. OpenShot - a cross-platform video editor, with support for Linux, Mac, and Windows. This has proved to be easy to use, quick for me to learn, and surprisingly powerful as a video editor. I have no problem cutting, slicing, and editing any of my videos or even films. The Blender 2.78c Stable Release application - I can use for creating animated films, visual effects, art, 3D printed models, interactive 3D applications and video games. Blender's features include 3D modeling, UV unwrapping, texturing, raster graphics editing, rigging and skinning, fluid and smoke simulation, particle simulation, soft body simulation, sculpting, animating, match moving, camera tracking, rendering, video editing and compositing. It further features an integrated game engine., I'll also have open a window with Inkscape-0.92.1 - used to create or edit vector graphics such as illustrations, diagrams, line arts, charts, logos and complex paintings While running other windows programs and working downloads, as I switch back and forth to terminal all in different windows/workspaces at the same time. Some of my home work refers back to code names of the early as 2004 releases of Ubuntu like: Warty Warthog, Hoary Hedgehog, Breezy Badger, Dapper Drake, Edgy Eft. and Feisty Fawn. I wonder if anyone is running any of those distros these days? Also looking into the other variations of the Ubuntu themes like: Kubuntu the KDE-based version, Ebuntu for the classroom and Xubuntu light weight version based on the Xfce desktop my old desktop. I'm tempted to get another stack of disks or a hand full of flash drives and have a go of it.

Ubuntu - the concept meaning something along the lines of humanity toward others or I am because we are.
    Wishing al many more adventures on Linux
    ~ Samuel F Campbell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast