Thread: How is a recovery partition handled by Ubuntu and Grub2 during and after installation

Beans

How is a recovery partition handled by Ubuntu and Grub2 during and after installation

I have an Acer Aspire 5332 computer and I’m running Windows Vista. I plan to install Ubuntu 16.04 manually through 'Something Else'. I want to delete Windows during the install but preserve its recovery partition (Acer's EISA Configuration). Then I want to create a root ’/ ‘ partition and a swap partition and select Grub's /dev/sda boot setting. I understand that with this setting Grub will recognise everything on my hard drive but will boot Ubuntu automatically by default. Is this correct?

Also, I've seen screenshots of the Grub boot screen showing a Windows’ recovery partition listed on the screen, and I was wondering how Grub and Ubuntu handle these partitions. For instance, upon start-up, will my computer go straight into Ubuntu's splash screen or the Grub boot screen (like a dual boot)?

Finally, if the recovery partition is listed on the Grub boot screen, can it be accessed through this screen, although I'm assuming that the recovery partition doesn't have a Master Boot Record for Grub to over-write. And failing this option, will I still be able to access my recovery partition by using Acer's default keys 'Alt' and 'F10'? - I'm assuming that the Ubuntu/Grub install won't affect this function nor corrupt the Windows recovery software. But am I right in thinking this?

My install details will be as follows:-

I have a normal Motherboard Bios (Brand Acer V1.06 ) .

The Acer recovery partition (PQ Service/EISA Configuration) contains a factory setting image of Vista.

After deleting my Windows NTFS partition (Vista) during manual install (’Something Else‘), my new partition table will be as follows:-

dev/sda1 - recovery partition

dev/sda2 - root ‘/’ (EXT4)

dev/sda3 - swap

Boot selection -

dev/sda (for the whole drive).
    Last edited by mew4; May 13th, 2016 at 11:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How is a recovery partition handled by Ubuntu and Grub2 during and after installa

I haven't used Windows since the XP days and never had a recovery partition to deal with, so can't advise you as to the mechanics. However, what you are proposing sounds at least a little risky. I presume you want the Windows recovery partition around just in case. But if so, why take any chances at all? Why not just buy another SSD/HDD, swap out your Windows HDD, keep it somewhere safe, and install Ubuntu onto a clean disk with no possibility of inadvertently nuking your Windows investment?

Beans

Re: How is a recovery partition handled by Ubuntu and Grub2 during and after installa

You can boot the Recovery partition for windows directly from Grub if it is detected during the install and a menuentry is created for it. I've accessed this on a windows 7 machine but never had to go through the entire process so I don't know if it will work.

If Ubuntu is the only OS installed, I don't think you will see a boot menu, it will boot automatically although you can change this.

the recovery partition doesn't have a Master Boot Record for Grub to over-write.
    No partition has a master boot record. This is a specific location (sector 1) on all harddrives outside any partitions.

If this is new to you, I would suggest reading some tutorials on dual-booting such as the one below:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/u...all-guide.html