Thread: Installing Seamonkey

Beans

Question Installing Seamonkey

I am a longtime old Netscape/Mozilla browser user and have been using Seamonkey the past several years. It used to be easy to install i Ubuntu but it seems it is no longer included in the sources. I have already unlocked the restricted sources in sources.list but can't seem to install it. If I download it from the Seamonkey website, how do i go about installing it? I have searched this but everything I come across seems out of date.
    Last edited by J_Templeton; May 3rd, 2016 at 07:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Installing Seamonkey

There are instructions on the Seamonkey website.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc...#install_linux
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Thanks lisati. I followed the method outlined in the above link but using
    Code:
    ./seamonkey
    yelds the response
    Code:
    No such file or directory
    . It is definitely there though. I am not an expert, but doesn't the tar command merely extract the files or is there an argument (jxvf) included for installing the program?

Beans

Also Installing the light-weight web browser seamonkey.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Templeton View Post
    ... I followed the method outlined in the above link but using
    Code:
    ./seamonkey
    yelds the response
    Code:
    No such file or directory
    . It is definitely there ...
    Please provide the actual steps you followed. It's possible there could be some unwanted differences.

From which folder did you run /.seamonkey?
    Last edited by vasa1; May 3rd, 2016 at 02:04 AM.

Beans

i followed the directions from http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc...#install_linux exactly. Apparently I forgot the "2" when I tried to run it, thus 'no such file etc.' But from ~/seamonkey2 i get the response
    Code:
    ./seamonkey: Is a directory
    Is the Install Seamonkey script still reliable?

I tried adding http://sourceforge.net/p/ubuntuzilla.../#installation to sources.list but when I try to update it the terminal responds that it is malformed. I suppose I am missing something there; I was hoping I could simply install via apt-get with the repository.

I'll try installing the latest deb from sourceforge: the link above appears to be outdated.

Beans

I was able to install the deb and there is even an icon in the menu but MATE returns the error "failed to execute child process "seamonkey" (No such file or directory. I can't see how to redirect the icon (if it is possible) to the correct directory.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans

Problem solved. I added the current repository to sources.list, removed the previous installation and re-installed via apt-get. The links were definitely a help. Thanks, James

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I use SeaMonkey from tarballs and I can say that the instructions on the SeaMonkey website seem unnecessarily complicated and convoluted. Just extract the tarball to home directory (or /opt for system-wide installs) - it should extract into its own subdirectory named "seamonkey". Then, to start SeaMonkey, run the "seamonkey" executable inside that directory (it's not an install script).

If you get this error
    "failed to execute child process "seamonkey" (No such file or directory.
    it means you've downloaded the wrong architecture tarball (i686 is 32-bit; x86_64 is for 64-bit only).
    (note that linux 64-bit SeaMonkey is listed only under "Contributed Builds")

To get SeaMonkey in the list of applications for your desktop, all you need to do is create a file named seamonkey.desktop either in ~/.local/share/applications (or /usr/share/applications for system-wide install), and give it this contents:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=SeaMonkey
    Exec=/home/user/seamonkey/seamonkey
    Icon=/home/user/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/default48.png
    StartupNotify=true
    Type=Application
    Terminal=0
    Categories=Network
    Obviously, replacing '/home/user' with the full path to the place you extracted SeaMonkey, whether it be your home directory or /opt or wherever you chose.

See how easy this is?

Hope this helps, cheers.
    Last edited by halogen2; July 12th, 2016 at 02:05 AM.
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    When your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."