Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show Game Categories in Lubuntu 16.04

Beans

Show Game Categories in Lubuntu 16.04

Howdy,

I don't think this has been asked before.

Am running 32bit Lubuntu 16.04 and have over 300 games installed.

As the attached screenshot shows these appear as a long list basically from numbers first then A-Z

Is there any program that will automatically put these games into categories .e.g First Person Shooter or Card Games or Educational or Strategy or Adventure or Other etc?

Just some way of finding the type of game you want to play more quickly? Some require scrolling down and down and down.

I know most loved games can be pinned to the desktop.

Regards,

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Show Game Categories in Lubuntu 16.04

I suspect you'll have to do that yourself

I think, but I'm not sure, that Lubuntu (or any other *buntu) looks at the "Category" section of each application's .desktop file in /usr/share/applications to decide where to slot what.

Beans

I'm assuming your games have .desktop files and that these .desktop files are in /usr/share/applications/ and that you're willing to take a little trouble to get things sorted.

Open a terminal and run grep -i game /usr/share/applications/*.desktop and post the entire output, including the command, between code tags.

The idea is to see how the games are already categorized. On my system, I have just the one game and I see this:
    Code:
    $ grep -i game /usr/share/applications/*.desktop
    /usr/share/applications/gnome-mahjongg.desktop:Keywords=game;strategy;puzzle;board;
    /usr/share/applications/gnome-mahjongg.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;BoardGame;
    $
    Last edited by vasa1; April 30th, 2016 at 09:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I'm assuming your games have .desktop files and that these .desktop files are in /usr/share/applications/ and that you're willing to take a little trouble to get things sorted.

Open a terminal and run grep -i game /usr/share/applications/*.desktop and post the entire output, including the command, between code tags.

The idea is to how the games are already categorized. On my system, I have just the one game and I see this:
    Code:
    $ grep -i game /usr/share/applications/*.desktop
    /usr/share/applications/gnome-mahjongg.desktop:Keywords=game;strategy;puzzle;board;
    /usr/share/applications/gnome-mahjongg.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;BoardGame;
    $

Hi Vasa1

I am in Margaret River for the weekend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margar...wine_region%29 enjoying some of what life has to offer

Will do as you requested upon my return.

Regards,

Paul

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by West Swan View Post
    Hi Vasa1

I am in Margaret River for the weekend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margar...wine_region%29 enjoying some of what life has to offer

Will do as you requested upon my return.

Regards,

Paul
    Have fun!

That file maybe a bit bulky. In that case you could paste the output into a plain text editor. save it and upload it here as an attachment.

Beans

Have fun!

That file maybe a bit bulky. In that case you could paste the output into a plain text editor. save it and upload it here as an attachment.

Thanks Vasa1 - certainly had fun but now having a quiet recovery day.

I'm afraid even a simple text file is too large to attach as it is very long and 32Kb in size. Actually Zip files are also accepted here so here it is

Regards,

Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by West Swan; May 2nd, 2016 at 04:00 AM.

Beans

Sorry for the delay. But it looks like these are the main categories:
    ActionGame
    AdventureGame
    ArcadeGame
    BlocksGame
    BoardGame
    CardGame
    Education
    KidsGame
    LogicGame
    RolePlaying
    Simulation
    SportsGame
    StrategyGame

Some games will obviously appear in more than one category.

I'll look at this later

Beans

Thank you

Beans

And here's a spreadsheet with two columns, games and type. Some are missing the type but I guess you can fill that in.

The next step will be to include the games category-wise into a right-click menu which can be done without too much trouble.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vasa1; May 2nd, 2016 at 10:50 AM.

Beans

And here's a spreadsheet with two columns, games and type. Some are missing the type but I guess you can fill that in.

The next step will be to include the games category-wise into a right-click menu which can be done without too much trouble.

Hi Vasa1,

Got that thanks

Is that right click menu something I can do e.g. by some kind of sudo apt-get command?

Regards,

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast