Thread: Joining desktop to Server

Beans

Joining desktop to Server

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu. I figure it has to be possible to connect to the server at my work but so far I haven't been able to find how to do it.
    I know the file server here uses Windows Server 2012 R2. I have a login for the server and I also know the administrator login. I just want to know how to connect ubuntu to the domain so I can view my files on the server. Is this easily done?

Beans

Re: Joining desktop to Server

Are you connecting from a machine on the same network as the server? Trying to connect remotely is pretty difficult without something like a virtual private network.

If you're on the same network, try typing "smb://servername/" into the address bar in the Nautilus file browser. You may be prompted for a username and password depending on whether the server requires authentication. You should see the available shares on the server.

Joining an Active Directory domain is trickier. Read this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ac...ryWinbindHowto
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users