Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have these projects already been undertaken?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Have these projects already been undertaken?

Before I do anything "major" (I should laugh at myself for saying something like that being a Python newbie), I wanted to know if someone already had done something like the following programs I wanted to create in Python. It would be a waste of time to duplicate someoneelse's work if that work has already been done under GNU GPL.

1. I was thinking of something that would automate the following commonly used commands for compiling source pacakges. A. ./configure. B. Make. C. checkinstall. Instead of asking a Linux beginner to open up the terminal every time, what if a beginner simply right-clicked on an executable and selected "Compile." This program would then just do then automate these commands (./configure, make, checkinstall). There would be a GUI with step-by-step instructions so that a beginner would never know what was going on (not willing to compromise on this - the beginner should not know what's happening).

2. I want something similar to Windows' "Desktop Properties." It would bring together just about everything related to the desktop in one place. Check out this picture for an example:

http://www.optimizingpc.com/i/i/bb2.gif

Please let me know if these two have already been done.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Have these projects already been undertaken?

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    1. I was thinking of something that would automate the following commonly used commands for compiling source pacakges. ...
    This is why god invented packages.

If a newbie NEEDS to compile from source (extraordinarily unlikely in Ubuntu*) then she/he (oh how PC of me!) should know or be prepared to learn what they are doing.

Once you start compiling from source you are stepping away from the distribution so should be able to support yourself to a certain extent.

Half the messes I see on this board were created because people do not use the repositories correctly.

Also, not every software package uses autotools.

*What are people compiling from source (genuine question)? The only things I have needed to compile from source are plptools, rdiff-backup and denyhosts. A quick search has revealed that plptools and rdiff-backup are now in the repositories though. Yes, I can play pretty much any media format in MPlayer, Totem, Xine, VLC and XMMS.

Beans

1. AFAIK not undertaken, and there's perhaps good reason: if a compilation process is indeed as easy as ./configure, make, checkinstall, that is, if autotools are used, the build environment is OK and all build dependencies are satisfied (unlikely if the user is compiling from source just to get a newer version of a program), does it really need to be simplified any further? If yes, it can be done very easily, even with a bash script and Zenity. If the process isn't that easy, and it usually isn't, then the software would also have to satisfy build dependencies (how? from which trusted repository?) and things get more complicated.

2. Your screenshot is of "Display Properties" rather than "Desktop Properties"; it brings together more or less everything related to display rather than the desktop. I'm not sure where you draw the lines that define "the desktop" so I can't be of much help there, but both GNOME and XFCE already have quite sensible GUIs for this kind of task.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have to agree. Compiling from source is often not advisable for a newbie. I like the idea, and I think this theoretical program you're proposing (ironically) should only be able to be compiled from source so that from that point on, experts could skip the compiling hassle. Sort of like the special pair of scissors that are designed to open really tough plastic packages, but that actually come in a really tough plastic package. "The last program you'll ever have to compile from source" if you will.
    Last edited by x64Jimbo; August 8th, 2006 at 03:51 AM.
    Upgrade to 7.10 today!
    Automatix: Automated, graphical installer for almost everything you need. Samba share problems? Fix them! Need to delete unwanted wireless networks? Check this out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The Idea is good for some one like me. I am forced to compile every waking hour of my life and I would love it if all I had to do was hit a button and everything would compile (instead of waiting).

Just to note I am a PPC user so compiling is a daily task even on Ubuntu especially since I love bleeding edge software on Dapper.

Oh and I would love to help with the compiling thing that wouldnt be to hard would it?

EDIT:

Noice Seinfeld related name H.E. Pennypacker
    Last edited by Note360; August 8th, 2006 at 04:22 AM.

Beans

Some of the automatic compiling thing has been done in this project: http://kconfigure.sourceforge.net/

Beans

well there is sourceinstall http://www.gnu.org/software/sourceinstall/ it doesnt create a .deb package, but it great for managing self compiled software, i similiar tool is on gnomefile.org, but i cant remember the right name.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Oh now that is sweet, toojays! If I ever get to the point where I have to compile from source, you can bet I'll be looking at this. Thanks for the link. rupert, your link is interesting as well. I'll have to keep these in mind. I (heart) these forums.
    Upgrade to 7.10 today!
    Automatix: Automated, graphical installer for almost everything you need. Samba share problems? Fix them! Need to delete unwanted wireless networks? Check this out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Point 2 has been solved on SLED 10 (which I tried yesterday). You can adjust your desktop properties as you do on Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

This is why god invented packages.
    If only we could find distro-specific packages everywhere. This proposition is for when you can't find packages.

If a newbie NEEDS to compile from source (extraordinarily unlikely in Ubuntu*) then she/he (oh how PC of me!) should know or be prepared to learn what they are doing.
    If life required learning everything, we'd all be wasting a lot of time. We need most stuff done for us so we don't have to do it ourselves. A newbie should not have to know what compiling software is.

Once you start compiling from source you are stepping away from the distribution so should be able to support yourself to a certain extent.
    If someone has a busy life, why add more to that life? It should make sense that everything should be easy.

*What are people compiling from source (genuine question)?
    I am a regularl average Ubuntu user, and I seem to need to compile software almost on a daily basis. For example, I wanted to switch to GBrowser (the file manager), but there is no .DEB; just the source. This happens a lot to me...not being able to find a package.

does it really need to be simplified any further?
    Most definitely. It is very difficult as it is.

then the software would also have to satisfy build dependencies (how? from which trusted repository?)
    This obsession with trusted repositories is weird, at least in my opinion. Linux users have this need to trust just about every source they download software from. Coming from a Windows background, none of this makes sense that much, and it was never that important. With Windows, I'd search any website, and download packages without necessarily confirming whether the website was safe to use or not.

I wish to bring some of this "I don't care about safety" mentality to Linux. I know this upsets a lot of people, but safety is not all that important.

both GNOME and XFCE already have quite sensible GUIs for this kind of task.
    There are different tools but there is no single tool bringing everything together.

Noice Seinfeld related name H.E. Pennypacker
    Yeah, it is from Seinfeld.

toojays and rupert, thanks.

Point 2 has been solved on SLED 10 (which I tried yesterday). You can adjust your desktop properties as you do on Windows.
    I have Gnome's version of SLED 10, but there's nothing like Display Properties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast