Thread: Sound From Speakers When Headphones connected

Beans

Question Sound From Speakers When Headphones connected

I am having an issue with my sound which I am aware other user's have had before: Sound works perfectly on my Ubuntu install, except when I put my headphones in, the speakers are not disabled (sound does come through on the headphones also).

The interesting thing is that, when inspecting the levels in alsamixer, a headphone connection is detected and the speaker channel is muted - however this has no effect. It seems as though the headphone channel is played back through both the speakers and my headphones, as muting this channel mutes both physical devices. Also, when plugging in headphones, the Speakers are no longer visible in pavucontrol, or system sound settings.

I have tried various versions of
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=xxxx
    in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, including auto, generic,hp,laptop,hp-laptop, to no effect. I've also tried with Alsamixer also showing "Auto-Mute Mode" as enabled / disabled.

Laptop: HP Spectre x360, PulseAudio 4.0. Problem existed on both 14.04 and when upgrading to Willy Werewolf.

Beans

Re: Sound From Speakers When Headphones connected

This turned out to be a problem with the pin mapping (a couple of speaker pins were set to use the headphones' output rather than the Speaker output).

If anyone else has this issue, I used ALSA's HDA-Analysier tool to debug this and make the required pinmap changes. I corrected the problem by changing the following pins:
    Code:
    0x17 to Audio Output 0x11
    0x1d to Audio Output 0x11