Thread: Webcam troubles in VM

Beans

Unhappy Webcam troubles in VM

Hello community,

First of, I hope that this is in the proper section.

Alright guys, this is driving me insane! My webcam in Virtual Box won't work.

I am running Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS in Virtual Box 5.0.6, on a Windows 10 host. I need a webcam for a computer vision project in OpenCV.

I specifically bought the Trust SpotLight Webcam Pro since it was supposed to work as per this list. When I run the video.py test I just get a black screen.

When I run lsusb it gives me this (seems like the webcam is recognised):

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0c45:6340 Microdia 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Cheese also gives me a black screen, and returns this in the terminal:

Code:
    libGL error: pci id for fd 10: 80ee:beef, driver (null)
    libGL error: core dri or dri2 extension not found
    libGL error: failed to load driver: vboxvideo
    I added the USB device filter in the VirtualBox settings (3D acceleration is off), however when I hover over the filter I see that the state is not supported.

Can this be fixed, or should I return my webcam and get a new one? If so, how would I know which one will work since the list obviously contains errors.

Thank you.

EDIT: Tested with Logitech C270 an C310, same result........

EDIT 2: Solved it by using the integrated web cam
    I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but this is how I solved it. In Virtual Box I went to the USB filter of the webcam, and removed everything except the VendorID and ProductID (I found that here). But then when I clicked OK, Virtual Box didn't respond, so I had to reboot my PC. When I opened up the VM, my integrated web cam appeared under the Devices menu. I still get the same errors, but it works! I think those errors have something to do with 3D acceleration?
    Last edited by apple_man; February 13th, 2016 at 11:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Webcam troubles in VM

So is it recognized in Ubuntu 14.04? (the host). The doc's you posted has it's ID as 0c45:62c0... I do not see that specific address in your output. Are you saying it is showing up as 0c45:6240? That is showing uought that with Macrodia, someone cam up with a drier, but you had to compile and add yourself manually...

Found info on that here

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    So is it recognized in Ubuntu 14.04? (the host). The doc's you posted has it's ID as 0c45:62c0... I do not see that specific address in your output. Are you saying it is showing up as 0c45:6240? That is showing uought that with Macrodia, someone cam up with a drier, but you had to compile and add yourself manually...

Found info on that here
    Oh man, you are right, I totally missed that! It does not show up as 0c45:6240, it shows up as 0c45:6340.

But that is so odd since I do have the samel model, but it has another ID. Hmmm...

The link you gave does not work? (error establishing a database connection)
    Last edited by apple_man; February 13th, 2016 at 12:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That link works for me, but may be regional IP filters. I am USA.

Google: "Microdia WebCam (0c45xxx) experimental drivers – installation and testing Part 1" That was the blog entry of that.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags