Thread: Setting encryption beyond a Samsung SSD FDE

Beans

Setting encryption beyond a Samsung SSD FDE

So I have a Samsung 850 Pro that has FDE and I am able to set a "User" ATA password via my Asrock mobo UEFI/bios

It is known that hardware encryption is better than software because it doesn't use any resources and is generally known to be very secure without any backdoors.

But - there is always the chance that the Samsung "Master Password" has back door ability - so would it also be best to set some encryption up through Ubuntu?

I know you can encrypt the entire drive through Ubuntu's initial setup via software - but is this needed if I'm doing hardware FDE?

And you can also encrypt your home folder on top of all of that - is this really needed if FDE is in place and also Ubuntu's software encryption abilities of the SSD itself?

All encryption is done through the Ubuntu program LUKS correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Setting encryption beyond a Samsung SSD FDE

Depends.

If you set the entire drive to be encrypted, it will be LUKS.
    Encryption of the home folder is done through eCryptfs.

Side Note:
    LUKS does not directly do encryption, encryption is handled by dm_crypt, of which LUKS uses as a backend.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

How strong is dm_crypt?

Beans

Is anything beyond the SSD's hardware encryption even needed? According to Trusting Computer Group:

The encryption key is generated during manufacturing, presumably at an Asian subcontractor. Why should I trust a contractor with a key that lasts the lifetime of the SED?

A: The encryption key is generated on board the drive and NEVER LEAVES THE DRIVE. The manufacturer does NOT retain or even have access to the key. Moreover, you do not have to trust it. When putting an SED into service it is considered good practice to start by directing the SED to regenerate its encryption key. Doing this before loading any software on the drive eliminates the possibility of the drive manufacturer ,or anyone else who might have had a chance to access the drive before the current owner, acquiring any secret, like the encryption key, that could be later used to break into the user data.

So how do you instruct an SSD to regenerate a new encryption key? Just by doing a Secure Erase I believe correct? This should generate a new encryption key right?

Beans

Bump...