Page 73 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Arch Linux Talk

Beans

Re: Arch Linux Talk

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    And my modules ... well, I manually rebuild the kernel to include the modules I want, so it doesn't matter what I use in rc.conf, since they aren't inserted on boot.
    Would you mind posting your MODULES array from rc.conf (before you put them in the kernel)? I just want to see what you had there. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

In case anyone has been annoyed by the floppy drive light always being on. I finally found that if I loaded the floppy module, it would go out as it should. I have no idea why the drive was being continuously polled without the module being loaded. Nor do I know why the module wasn't loaded automatically by udev. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadont View Post
    Udev isn't strictly required, no matter how you configure your kenrel (built-in or modules). You just have to manually create the old static device nodes. (mknod is your friend if you go that route ) I actually prefer the old static /dev method. Of course, I cut my teeth on the 2.0 kernel.
    Could you give me a brief rundown on how to move back to static /dev? I've looked through the wiki and not seen anything. I just want to make sure I have a vague idea what I'm doing so it works once, without having to trial-and-error myself into a stupor.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
    Would you mind posting your MODULES array from rc.conf (before you put them in the kernel)? I just want to see what you had there. Thanks.
    Sure. This is on a Dell Inspiron 8000 with an NEC ND-7550A DVD+-RW, PRO 100 NIC and Nvidia Geforce4 440 Go. I use an external mouse attached to the PS/2 port and an ESS Maestro3 sound card. I have to hard drives, both IDE (one 7200rpm, one 5400rpm), and the onboard USB1.1 ports. Since I don't use the PCMCIA port I don't bother with modules for that, or things like parallel ports and whatnot.
    Code:
    MODULES=(cdrom agpgart intel-agp evdev psmouse serio_raw pci_hotplug rtc-cmos rtc-core rtc-lib ac97_bus snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-ac97-codec snd-maestro3 soundcore ata_generic sd_mod ata_piix e100 mii usbcore usb-storage uhci-hcd)
    Most of that comes from hwdetect --modules, minus the stuff I don't want.
    Last edited by K.Mandla; January 12th, 2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: For some reason, it appears I was typing in another language.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Static? Are you serious? That's what I meant by being "sane". One would want something like udev if hotplugging occurs regularly. So of course, if you have no hotplugging devices, there is no concern over plugging in something and the module not being inserted into the kernel.

But with udev, hotplug, devfs, you have only the nodes for devices that are actually plugged in. That's what these utilities are for, to make life easier and keep things neat And a sane kernel, will have modules, not everything built in. But yeah, I do have an insane K6 and I don't use any kind of initrd.

Actually, most of the problems faced usually are direct results of manually loading modules in rc.conf

Beans

Beans

The ultimate "boot-up time" tweak: suspend and hibernate

My favorite method at the moment is uswsusp's "s2both" which saves the current state to disk and then suspends to ram -- it uses what was saved to disk only in case something happens to power while the computer is asleep. It works great.

You can also use it on desktop computers, of course, which is what I do on mine -- my computer starts up in about 2-3 seconds...

BTW - those of you who don't really use the Arch website all that often should go and check out the awesome new look and logo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aeto View Post
    blah blah blah
    Real Linux users (started to say "men", but that's sexist ) know their hardware and include support for it directly in the kernel. They can also recite, from memory, the major/minor node numbers for all the device nodes for said hardware...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Could you give me a brief rundown on how to move back to static /dev? I've looked through the wiki and not seen anything. I just want to make sure I have a vague idea what I'm doing so it works once, without having to trial-and-error myself into a stupor.
    You could use tar to create an archive of all of your active nodes. Make sure that you have all of your pluggable hardware connected first. You could also use it to archive
    Code:
    /dev/.static/dev
    That will get you all of the standard device nodes. For any that get missed, read the kernel documentation for the module/driver. They generally list the names and major/minor numbers of the related device nodes. (/usr/src/linux/Documentation is an interesting read)

Beans

yabbadaboop: hmm i have to say you are somewhat correct!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aeto View Post
    yabbadaboop: hmm i have to say you are somewhat correct!
    I win! I win! Yay!

(Where's my cookie?!?)

Page 73 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast