Page 51 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Arch Linux Talk

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Arch Linux Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Opeth115 View Post
    thanks for that finforflu it worked! and thank you frak also!

im still looking for a solution to my compiz errors though... The arch forums are really slow compared to here lol.

i get this error when trying to launch fusion-icon in kdemod

dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session

here is my daemons line in my /etc/rc/conf

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng hal network fam netfs crond alsa)

if i do a dbus-launch fusion-icon compiz starts and i ge tthe effects but no windowborders and no icon in the tray...

any ideas?
    For window borders I had to install libbonoboui (with a few gnome dependencies). For the tray icon I think it's fusion-icon-tray.
    Current distro: Kubuntu 11.04 + KXStudio

Is anyone having trouble with audacious playing streaming mp3s? The last update a few days ago seemed to have disrupted its ability to play tunes off the Internet. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about dropping back to the previous version. (This happened before, maybe nine months ago, when it went from 1.2 to 1.3, I think.)
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Why not just let the daemon do everything for you?
    well i added kdm to my daemons line and no i get the,

No GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap error gotta find a solution to that now lol...

I have a nvidia card and i know it supports it

EDIT: Gah this is confusing me like hell.... IT's back to that original error message now with kdm loaded as a daemon...

here's my daemon's list

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng hal network fam netfs crond alsa kdm)

i don't understand why it's this complicated i've had arch up and running before with no problems.... Not that it's really a problem lol it's just an annoying tick i wanna get by really lol

ok wait if i start fusion-icon from my normal user it gives me that original error of dbus not being loaded... But if i do it as root then it gives me the No GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap error... how could this be?
    Last edited by Opeth115; November 17th, 2007 at 02:34 PM.
    Arch Linux: Self Built Computer
    DP965LT Mother Board W/ Intel Core 2 Duo W/ 2 Gigs Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT
    400 Gig Hard Drive

Beans
    Hidden!

Sounds like Fusion doesn't like your configuration. Make sure you changed your xorg.conf file to work with your card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually I had some trouble with KDE and Compiz Fusion from the Git repository (although it works fine in Gnome)

Which repository did you install from? Maybe it is worth it uninstalling and trying the other one, if you are 100% sure your settings (xorg.conf etc) are correct.
    My Linux Reviews

Currently using: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.6GHz, 2GB RAM, Asus P5E, nVidia Geforce 8800GTS, Arch Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

I have an older laptop running debian etch with fluxbox as a graphical interface.

I'm pretty happy with it, but I keep hearing about arch. Should I switch to arch? Is it as easy to use as Debian? With fluxbox as a gui on both, will it be faster than Debian?

Is the package selection and management as good as Debian?

Would Arch be beyond my skill level? I installed Debian and built it up using aptitude, but I've never compiled a kernel or stuff like that.

-Andrew

Beans

If you like Fluxbox, you might want to look at Antix. http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page
    I have an old PII/266 laptop that runs it just fine. It has a very slick customized Fluxbox desktop running on it. It comes as a live CD with option to install.

Arch is whatever you make it to be. The base install will give you a working Linux environment with only a command line. From there you install whatever applications, desktops, window managers you like. You don't have to compile anything. Arch is binary, so it uses packages that are already built.

The package manager, pacman is (IMO) better than apt. It is fast, and very simple to learn. the package selection for Arch is not as enormous as for Debian, but then nothing is. I've found it to be very complete for what I do. You can search the repositories here: http://www.archlinux.org/ but keep in mind that there are a lot of packages in the community repository which is not listed on the web site.

Arch is not for everyone, but for many users, there is no other distro that comes close.

Read the beginner's guide: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide
    Read the Arch Way: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way
    Those two documents will help you decide if Arch is for you. If you decide to install, let us know how you make out!
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
    You can search the repositories here: http://www.archlinux.org/ but keep in mind that there are a lot of packages in the community repository which is not listed on the web site.
    The search option for the AUR community repository is here: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php. The packages here partly require compiling (this is as simple as typing makepkg). If they get enough votes from users, they will become regular binary packages and move on to the "normal" repositories. (Only explaining for Atreus12 because the difference between the regular repositories and the AUR was initially confusing to me. )

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Atreus12 View Post
    I have an older laptop running debian etch with fluxbox as a graphical interface.

I'm pretty happy with it, but I keep hearing about arch. Should I switch to arch? Is it as easy to use as Debian? With fluxbox as a gui on both, will it be faster than Debian?

Is the package selection and management as good as Debian?

Would Arch be beyond my skill level? I installed Debian and built it up using aptitude, but I've never compiled a kernel or stuff like that.

-Andrew
    Only if you are ready to build your system, literally, from scratch.

Beans

Don't scare him Frak =P
    it's true that you build your system from scratch, but you'll see that you don't need many of the junk that comes pre installed in most linux distros.

Besides, most of the commands are in the Arch wiki. It's not really intimidating
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Page 51 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast