Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LibreOffice Greying out as Ubuntu used one core 100% and the other 7 remain idle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

LibreOffice Greying out as Ubuntu used one core 100% and the other 7 remain idle

I am not sure if this is hardware or Ubuntu problem or LibreOffice problem.

There are 8 cores in my machine. I am on Ubuntu 15.10 and LibreOffice 5.0.2.2. LO frequently greys out on me and when I check the system monitor, I find that one of the cores is 100% occupied and the rest are practically idle. When I look under processes, LO can be using 400+ Mib...which should not be a problem as I have 2.5G of memory. Nonetheless, LO stays frozen in grey for ages. I am on the default memory allocation as given by LO in Tools/Options/Memory and changing that allocation seems to make little difference as far as I can see.....though I have not tried on Ubuntu 15.10...as it made little difference on previous Ubuntus. I have tried overclocking but that does not help either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Ubuntu is computer speak for defenestration

Beans

Re: LibreOffice Greying out as Ubuntu used one core 100% and the other 7 remain idle

Have you tried another office suite?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: LibreOffice Greying out as Ubuntu used one core 100% and the other 7 remain idle

No, I have not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Trying another office suite does not solve the issue with LibreOffice. That's avoidance, not a solution. Let's help the OP with LibreOffice, not go on a tangent.

Thanks.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Go raibh maith agat!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Tá fáilte romhat!

But this is an English-speaking forum. Besides, most of the Irish I know is not fit for polite company.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is a peculiarity of Libreoffice 5. I am getting it on xenial xerus (16.04 development branch) on a machine with a 2 core CPU, 1GB RAM and an Nvidia GT220 with 1GB video memory. It is far away from being a high spec machine. But I never saw this effect with Liberoffice 4.

I have system load indicator installed and I can see in the app indicator what is happening to my system resources and this happens with very little CPU activity or disk activity and with only 500MB or there abouts of RAM being used. It happens with large documents of about 100 pages or more.

The Find function is a lot slower than it was with Libreoffice 4.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 9th, 2016 at 11:55 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dunbrokin View Post
    No, I have not.
    Then, go ahead and try another one. There are several too choose from.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    It is a peculiarity of Libreoffice 5. I am getting it on xenial xerus (16.04 development branch) on a machine with a 2 core CPU, 1GB RAM and an Nvidia GT220 with 1GB video memory. It is far away from being a high spec machine. But I never saw this effect with Liberoffice 4.

I have system load indicator installed and I can see in the app indicator what is happening to my system resources and this happens with very little CPU activity or disk activity and with only 500MB or there abouts of RAM being used. It happens with large documents of about 100 pages or more.

The Find function is a lot slower than it was with Libreoffice 4.

Regards.
    I've been running L.O. 5 since it was released on several installs, installed via PPA and part of 16.04. I've not seen that behavior, I wonder what triggers it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dunbrokin View Post
    I am not sure if this is hardware or Ubuntu problem or LibreOffice problem.

There are 8 cores in my machine. I am on Ubuntu 15.10 and LibreOffice 5.0.2.2. LO frequently greys out on me and when I check the system monitor, I find that one of the cores is 100% occupied and the rest are practically idle. When I look under processes, LO can be using 400+ Mib...which should not be a problem as I have 2.5G of memory. Nonetheless, LO stays frozen in grey for ages. I am on the default memory allocation as given by LO in Tools/Options/Memory and changing that allocation seems to make little difference as far as I can see.....though I have not tried on Ubuntu 15.10...as it made little difference on previous Ubuntus. I have tried overclocking but that does not help either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Can you correlate the greying out with anything? Size of file? Calc, Writer, Impress, etc? Whether it's reproducible by a particular action?

I don't know what "overclocking" does, but doesn't that set your experience apart from the "average" user?

@kurt18947,

Whats's the oldest hardware you feel that can run LO5 decently?
    Last edited by vasa1; February 11th, 2016 at 03:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast