Page 104 of 104 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104
Results 1,031 to 1,039 of 1039

Thread: PClinuxOS Talk (Includes DistroWatch ranking talk)

Beans

Re: PClinuxOS Talk (Includes DistroWatch ranking talk)

I have installed;
    PCLinuxOS Gnome 2008
    It seems to be a real pain.

I admit to not being a fan of RPMs but I have Mandriva 2009-1 and it is not anywhere near this much trouble.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The 2009 update came last weekend, and the 2009 iso should be on their site soon. As with any big update there were issues for some users, but mostly it seemed a success. I had two small issues, one with sound that was easily corrected, and one with kuickshow, that still exists.

Here is a screen shot of my desktop with the default wallpaper. The kicker is not the default.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

My problem is that I can only get to "main nonfree extras". That is all I can find available and thought it may be that I donpt have keys but can't get to them either.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    I have installed;

It seems to be a real pain.

I admit to not being a fan of RPMs but I have Mandriva 2009-1 and it is not anywhere near this much trouble.
    That is strange. It is one of the easiest and most problem free distros I have tried. However, if you have trouble now it could be because of the big update recently. I have had PCLinuxOS Gnome running on one computer since it was released without a single issue - that is until the big update when the repositories thawed. Suddenly, the shutdown button didn`t work and gnome-games didn`t want to upgrade. I think these issues will be fixed soon, but right now it is probably better to wait for PCLinuxOS 2009. It should be possible to run it for quite some time without reinstall (since it is a rolling release).

Beans

One problem that really gets to me is the screen res. It does not have any settings for this dell monitors wierd size - 1440x900. It works if I put the panels on the side and run everything "unmaximized" and stretch them to fit the screen. Otherwise there are about 1.5 to 2 inches hanging off the screen.

It is possibly (probably) my system but the bugger was a real chalenge to install. As a matter of fact, I wiped the partition and am going to try it again because it was too screwwy for me to resize the partition after installation.

I had installed on a large chunk of an extended partition. I wiped it and installed Ultimate Editition. Resized that down and made 2 more and left 1 blank. I am going to (right now) reinstall PCLOS on the blank one that is the size I want it to be (35Gb).

I bought this CD and am going to use it. I can't download the buggers at 4.3Kb/sec. That is the speed on good days. I am doing this to learn so a buggy installation is probably good for me.

Besides not getting enough exercise, people over 50 don't learn enough new stuff. So say "them". Who am I to argue?

Thanks a bunch.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think it should be possible to get the correct resolution by editing xorg.conf. Perhaps someone on the PCLinuxOS forum can help you out with that one.

Beans

I am going to try the forum. I am on the PCLinuxOS Gnome forum. Could not register on the other one. Their site was buggy too. The verification stuff I went through 4 times and it claimed I wasn't answering right. I was (or you need to answer at random).

I haven't brought that up because it doesn't seem real pressing. Kind of like the fact that I do not have the option of setting the clock. I can live with it until I get some other things to work right.

Both PCLOS and Mandriva were a lot easier to get connected with than Hardy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I am going to (right now) reinstall PCLOS on the blank one that is the size I want it to be (35Gb)

If you are installing 2007, you will not get any updates for it since the repos have been re-synced for the 2009 release, The 2009 iso should be on the site in a few days.

I am going to try the forum. I am on the PCLinuxOS Gnome forum. Could not register on the other one. Their site was buggy too. The verification stuff I went through 4 times and it claimed I wasn't answering right. I was (or you need to answer at random).
    The site has been buggy for the last few days. I believe they have new servers and that may be the problem.

Beans

I have 2008 (Gnome).

Page 104 of 104 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104