Hidden!

Re: Suse Help

check out suseforums.net

Beans

Have u tried OpenSuse 10.1?

Have u tried the new OpenSuse 10.1?

I was really impressed by this review of OpenSuse 10.1 here
    http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=6899

I was glad to read that Beagle works out-of-the-box in Suse 10.1 and for Gnome fans its really news that Suse has revamped the Gnome look and has paid special attention to it with this landmark release, although it couldn't bundle Gnome 2.14.

I'd be glad to hear form everyone here how their experiences have been with OpenSuse 10.1.

Don't forget to read this wonderful article here which describes how to setup non-oss stuff in Suse 10.1 easily & painlessly.
    http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/in...=254&Itemid=42

I just hope that when Dapper releases, Beagle works flawlessly in it too as with Suse 10.1. It will be another landmark distro release!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Have u tried OpenSuse 10.1?

I'm busy downloading it along with the latest dapper flight. That was a glowing review, sounds promising.

Beans

I've also heard some "not-so-glowing" first impressions from some KDE devs... but anyway, it's worth trying out. I've always wanted to test out OpenSuSE, so I guess this would be a good time as any.

2 Questions though:
    1. How many CDs do you need to download or is there a minimal CD installer?
    2. SuSE is different from OpenSuSE, right? Is SuSE (not the open one) not free?

I wonder if Novell will ever make a Live CD. so far, the big Linux distros (Fedora, SuSE, etc) have been a bit slow in that area. I wonder why...

Beans
    Distro

I've also heard some "not-so-glowing" first impressions from some KDE devs
    i wonder why that is

1. How many CDs do you need to download or is there a minimal CD installer?
    5 in total

2. SuSE is different from OpenSuSE, right? Is SuSE (not the open one) not free?
    there isn't anything written in stone, but this usually refers to the free one.

Beans

Well, I'm not really sure. a dev here has some hardware detection problem, a dev here has some network problems, and another dev there says everything is working perfectly. If I remember correctly, though, they say that Ubuntu (actually Kubuntu, no offense meant Complex ) worked perfectly out of the box.

About the SUSE/OpenSUSE thing, I'd like to correct myself. It seems that OpenSUSE is the open source project name, but the webpage itself is saying SUSE Linux. The enterprise version is Novell Linux Desktop or NLD I think. I was just confused because of the names and thought that OpenSUSE is the free one while SUSE Linux is the enterprise one. Sorry about that.

5 CDs?!?!?! Shucks... that's one thing that's keeping me from trying out the "big" distros. I wouldn't mind downloading 1-3 CDs (ok, maybe even 3 is too much for me). But 5? for some software that I will not or probably will not install...

Beans
    Distro

5 CDs?!?!?! Shucks.
    it doesn't mean that you have to downaload them all. just downlaod the first one . its the same as fedora core - that also comes on 5 cd's but a basic install can be gleaned from the first disk. i think its a good thing that there is a huge amount of material by default - its one of the main reasons why users such as me choose the likes of fedora and suse rather than ubuntu. if ubuntu got their act together and gave the option of having a single cd for basic install and a further 4 cd's for extras, more people would not be prevented from seeing it as a viable option.

Beans

Arggh! Why didn't you tell me that earlier?!
    ( My question was: How many CD's do I need to download or is the a minimal install CD? )

Anyway, so I just have to download the first CD, install it, and I will have a working install with a GUI (GNOME or KDE?)?

By the way, there was a project a while back for making sort of add-on CDs for those with limited access to internet connections. It's a thread started by aysiu, buried somewhere in the Ubuntu Cafe section. I guess the only thing that prevents Ubuntu from making such CDs is that most of the software people would want to download and install would probably be the restricted codecs and that would go against Ubuntu's policies.

Anyway, I hope elijahclarity and Rhodan could also give some of their own "reviews" once they finished trying it out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fenyx
    5 CDs?!?!?! Shucks... that's one thing that's keeping me from trying out the "big" distros. I wouldn't mind downloading 1-3 CDs (ok, maybe even 3 is too much for me). But 5? for some software that I will not or probably will not install...
    You just need the first 3 CDs for a default Gnome or KDE install in either English or German.

You could also try a net install, though going with the CDs is probably easier.

About Suse 10.1, it's very nice in many ways in my experience. The only big minus and to me that's really a big minus, is the fact that the new package management doesn't work or at least doesn't work reliably.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I just installed OpenSuse 10.1 and I needed CDs 1, 2, 3 and 5 for a regular Gnome install.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast