Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamlinux Talk

Beans

Red face Dreamlinux Talk

2006-07-16 NEWDistribution Release: Dreamlinux 2.0 WORKS The Dreamlinux Project Team announced version 2.0 of Dreamlinux, a Brazilian Linux distribution based on the XFce desktop: "called WORKS and it brings the most known Linux apps for a production environment, like OpenOffice, Inkscape, Gimp, etc. Full support to multimedia, automatic detection of video cards and monitors, and the version 2.5 of MKDistro, tool for distros' building. This Dreamlinux version is the result of making use of various technologies that came from many different distros, like Kanotix, Elive, Morphix and Debian. With a 2.6.14 Kanotix Kernel, the distro also counts with Xorg 6.9, support for ALSA and many refinements and improvements, beyond the customized XFCE 4.4 environment and with exclusive icons for this distro." More information can be found at the project's homepage. Download (MD5): DLxfce2.0_WORKS-060712en.iso (611MB). An experimental Dreamlinux 2.0 XGL edition was also released.
    Dreamlinux 2.0 WORKS Edition 625 MB
    MIRROR 1 english version MIRROR 2 english version
    md5sum: 41bb3fb5379c93b6be692eaa64df6ec5

Dreamlinux 2.0 XGL ( Experimental ) Edition 636 MB
    MIRROR 1 english version
    md5sum: d792ff6009c9dc5a30fedb4182911107

Note: This version is experimental. We do not guarantee complete success in your machine. For more details, see the especific information website of this version:
    http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/saiba-xgl.html

Beans

Re: NEW: Dreamlinux 2.0 WORKS Edition 625 MB & Dreamlinux 2.0 XGL ( Experimental )

about an hour left on each download.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: NEW: Dreamlinux 2.0 WORKS Edition 625 MB & Dreamlinux 2.0 XGL ( Experimental )

So, how did it go? It looks like OS-X minus the subtle refinement that makes a Mac such a joy to use, but I've read several times that it is an extemely polished distro so I'm really curious. How does it compare to Ubuntu? Is it fast (the kind of fast XFCE should be)?

Beans

Arrow Re: NEW: Dreamlinux 2.0 WORKS Edition 625 MB & Dreamlinux 2.0 XGL ( Experimental )

Quote Originally Posted by hizaguchi View Post
    So, how did it go? It looks like OS-X minus the subtle refinement that makes a Mac such a joy to use, but I've read several times that it is an extemely polished distro so I'm really curious. How does it compare to Ubuntu? Is it fast (the kind of fast XFCE should be)?
    Yes, it is superfast and having used OS X I rate it better then OS X.

I still prefer a Gnome desktop though.

"Dreamlinux XFCE 2.0 WORKS Edition" is the beginning of a dream come true.

I always say "If you want to see the future of Linux try Dreamlinux today"....I would expand this to say "If you want to see the future of Operating Systems try Dreamlinux today".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just looking through the site, must say I like their graphics. Especially this one:
    Last edited by _simon_; February 9th, 2007 at 09:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Well, yeah, it's Linux so of course it's better than OS-X. But do you mean the interface is better? As in usability, not appearance?

What makes it the "future of operating systems"? Have they done anything new or interesting beyond the interface?

I ask because I was about to switch back to Arch, so this would be a good time to try Dreamlinux if it is worth my time. The only thing stopping me is that the focus seems to be on looks and I've not found any deeper information... like is it stable, up to date, upgradable (like Ubuntu, not Suse), and is the package selection reasonably large? I've gone through alot of distros lately. Is there anything that really makes this one special?

Beans

Arrow Re: NEW: Dreamlinux 2.0 WORKS Edition 625 MB & Dreamlinux 2.0 XGL ( Experimental )

Quote Originally Posted by hizaguchi View Post
    Well, yeah, it's Linux so of course it's better than OS-X. But do you mean the interface is better? As in usability, not appearance?

What makes it the "future of operating systems"? Have they done anything new or interesting beyond the interface?

I ask because I was about to switch back to Arch, so this would be a good time to try Dreamlinux if it is worth my time. The only thing stopping me is that the focus seems to be on looks and I've not found any deeper information... like is it stable, up to date, upgradable (like Ubuntu, not Suse), and is the package selection reasonably large? I've gone through alot of distros lately. Is there anything that really makes this one special?
    It is new I would wait a bit, most support isn't in English, unless you want to be on the beginning of cutting edge, you may want to wait.

They are going to upgrades every 6 months like Ubuntu, based on MKDistro tool you can essentially build your own Distro from scratch or base it on any existing Distro, Arch for example. It is upgradable like Ubuntu.

What is Dreamlinux ?

Dreamlinux is a modern and modular Linux system that can be run directly from the CD and optionally be easily installed onto your HD.

Dreamlinux comes with a selection of the best applications designed to meet mostly of your daily needs.

• Dreamlinux is based on Debian and Morphix, which means it takes advantages of their best features and adds its own modern development tools.

• Being a modular system Dreamlinux allows you to add new modules comprising your preferred applications and build a new Distro that meet your requirements by means of its revolutionary MKDistro tool.

Using Dreamlinux

Insert the Dreamlinux Live CD on the CD-ROM/DVD drive on your computer and boot up the system. Dreamlinux will be started. If necessary configure your BIOS to boot up via the CD-ROM drive.

• Dreamlinux can be started in Brazilian Portuguese, English or Spanish (additional languages coming soon...) by means of choosing the appropriate language on the boot menu.

• In the rare case Dreamlinux fails in automatically detect your hardware it suffices to use one of the several available options on the boot menu.

• If desired DreamLinux can be installed on your HD fast and easily. Execute the option HD Install via Menu or Control Panel.
    See what you can do running Dreamlinux, both as a Live CD or installed on HD:
    Navigate on the Internet using Firefox, text editing using Abiword, create spreadsheets using Gnumeric, download pictures from a digital camera using Gview, open pdf files with Evince, draw with Inkscape, change images and photos with GimpShop, record CDs and DVDs with Gnomebaker (only if HD installed), transfer mp3 files to your iPod with Gtkpod, listen to mp3 music while working with Xmms, watch videos with Mplayer and several other tasks such as navigate on an internal network, access different computers, transfer files among them and yet be able to use the Dreamlinux CD as a recovery system, when your main system is stuck or damaged!
    And for your satisfaction, believe it, you can count on more than 15 thousand different packages of free software available for you to install on your computer by means of the Debian repositories! And this is done automatically!
    You just run Synaptic and it will take care of searching for the application want and install it
    or update your system with a newer release. With Synaptic your system won't be damaged since it will be responsible for verifying dependencies among the packages.

So just like Ubuntu it uses the synaptic package manager and is based on Ubuntu, since it also based on Morphix which is based on Knoppix it has a superior hardware dectection to ubuntu.

For example on my new computer which has Intel EM64T dual-core 64bit processor I have yet to get Ubuntu to run but have NO problems with Dreamlinux, fastest load of the live CD of any Linux Distro.

It is cutting edge especially with it's exclusive MKDistro Tool, but like I said if you feel it's too new you may want to wait.

Download 620MB
    Read more...

Screenshots

Last edited by RAV TUX; July 19th, 2006 at 02:04 AM.

Beans

THE DREAMLINUX PROJECT

The Dreamlinux Project addresses, as one of its main goals, the development of specific tools to allow anyone, despite his level of technical knowledge, being able to design and produce a Linux Distro that meets all his/her requirements . The Project also aims to research, learn and share all the knowledge produced during the Dreamlinux development process.

THE MORPHIX OPTION
    After several and careful research the Dreamlinux Project has decided to use the Morphix Philosophy as well as its Base Module
    as a start point, since Morphix has become a modern and strong project with similar goals such as the development of tools that can help in building modular Distros.

MKDISTRO:
    THE TOOL FOR BUILDING DISTROS
    In order to turn the dream into reality, the MkDistro Tool was born. MkDistro has evolved to an excellent tool for building and remastering
    modules and whole Distros . It is developed by one of our
    co-founders, nelsongs (Nelson Gomes da Silveira), leveraging the Morphix approach of modules and his previous works on developing the HD remastering scripts for the Kurumin, Knoppix, Kanotix and Beatrix Live CD Distros .

MKDISTRO PHILOSOPHY
    The philosophy of the Mkdistro process is very simple, logical and practical and, by correctly applying its rules, it achieves, as a final result, a winner process. Its basic idea comprises planning and building pieces of a system that will be, at the end, put together and configured as a whole, resulting in a harmonic set regarding his visual, performance and strength.

a) Mkdistro: it' s the basic tool responsible for launching, through its auto explained menus and dialog boxes, all the processes regarding the build of Distros. It's easy and intuitive to manage. Actually MkDistro so far comprises a set of 04 ( four ) scripts, mkdistro.sh, mkdistro_main.sh, mkdistro_clean.sh and mkcd.sh, with the main one (mkdistro.sh) using the others in some specific phase of the work.
    b) Base-Module (BM): it's a slimmed down knoppix-like image comprising a Morphix patched Linux kernel, kernel modules and the whole set of applications and scripts needed to detect, configure and initialize the system hardware found in the computer.

c) Base Main Module (BMM or Working Module): it's a complete debian file system made up via a debootstrap procedure and the addition of very basic and essential applications designed to serve as a baseline for the full development of the Distro's Main Module.
    d) Distro Main Module (DMM): it's the final module of the Distro you developed. In other words, it's practically the whole Distro, made up on top of the Basic Main Module chosen . This module will be later combined with the Basic Module in order to become the final iso image of your Distro.
    e) Iso Image: it's the resulting image from the union between the Basic Module and the Distro's Main Module . So, this image is your final operating system which, after burned onto a CD, will become your new Live CD Linux Distro, capable of not only be run directly from the CD (provided you have set up your Computer's bios) as well as be installed onto your computer's HD.

The Dreamlinux Team plan, build ad make available in the Dreamlinux repository (www.dreamlinux.com.br/downloads) Base Modules, Basic Main Modules and the MkDistro tool necessary for building up a new Distro.

Using one Base Module image, one Basic Main Module file and the MkDistro script , anyone can build his/her own Distro according to his/her needs and preferences.
    The MkDistro process basically flows following these steps:
    1) Conect to the Internet.
    2) Download the Mkdistro compacted file mkdistro2.0.tgz from our repository(www.dreamlinux.com.br/downloads/mkdistro/mkdistro2.0.tgz) into a directory of your choice. After you have downloaded it, decompress it using this command: tar -xvzf mkdistro2.0.tgz.

Rmk: you can also download the script via wget (wget http://www.dreamlinux.com.be/downloa...kdistro2.0.tgz) directly to the directory you are located in.
    3) Open a terminal and go to the directory into which you have decompressed the mkdistro2.0.tar.gz and execute the mkdistro.sh script (./mkdistro.sh or sh mkdistro.sh).
    Rmk: Some Distros, like Kanotix, don't allow you to execute an instance of a graphic application inside a terminal unless you have released the terminal for that. The message usually shown is somewhat like:
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified
    Xdialog: Error initializing the GUI...
    Do you run under X11 with GTK+ v1.2.0+ installed ?
    root@KanotixBox:/media/sda13/mkDistro#
    If that's your case, just run, as a regular user, not root, the following command: xhost +
    Then, try it again.
    4) Once MkDistro is up and running you'll find self-explained dialogs containing menus that will drive you through the several alternatives available, which are summarized below:

A - New Distro: his menu option will guide you through the whole process of building up a new Distro making use of a Base Module (www.dreamlinux.com.br/downloads/bases) and one selected Basic Main Modules build up by the Dreamlinux developers and available on our repository at www.dreamlinux.com.br/downloads/baremain (old ones, soon to be deprecated) or www.dreamlinux.com.br/downloads/basicmainmods (the new and recommended ones).

B - New Distro, Remastering an existing mainmod:
    this menu option will guide you to build up a new Distro by means of a remastering process over an existing main module image coming from a Dreamlinux Distro, Morphix Distro, or any other Morphix derivative Distro.
    C - Remastering of an existing CD or ISO image Distro: like the previous option but using a Live CD or an ISO image containing a Morphix derivative Distro, like Dreamlinux itself.
    D - Remastering your HD installed Distro:
    this powerful option guides you through a remastering process over your HD installed Distro. With very few small adjustments (soon to be available on the next MkDistro release) you can even remaster a Knoppix derivative and have the choice to address its final iso image as a Morphix derivative or a Knoppix one.
    E -Woks on the Main Module: this menu option offers you some functionalities you use to modify whatever you want on the Main Module of your Distro and regenerate it. With it you can even build up a new Basic Main Module of your own, from the scratch.

F - Works on the Base Module: this option is generally recommend only for the expert users since it make it possible to change the Base Module, the one responsible for the Distro start up.
    G - Add Files and /or Directories into your Distro: this option is one of the most expressive functionalities Morphix has introduced and that MkDistro allows you to easily use. Files and Directories can be easily added into your current Distro, resulting in a new generated image including those files and directories. This is a very fast process and a very easy way of remastering.

H - Add scripts to be executed on Booting:
    like the previous option, this one allows you to include one or more scripts of your own to be executed when the system boots. Also this is a very fast process and a very easy way of remastering.
    I - Add .deb packages to be installed on booting: another exceptional functionality available to the user by MkDistro, thanks to the Morphix Project. Like the two previous options, deb packages can be included into the current Distro, generating a new one that will fetch and install the deb packages you put into the /deb directory. Again this is a very fast process and a very easy way of remastering

J - Add main modules: With this option you can add as many main modules as you want to generate a Distro with two or more main modules. This is a good option if you want to have, at the same image, two or more specialized Distros, provided you have enough space left on your CD or DVD.

K - Add mini modules: This option allow you to add complete applications as mini modules, which will be loaded by the main module and will behave as being part of it. This is an area of research that's being hardly worked by the Dreamlinux developers since there's shortage of information about it on the Morphix site and wiki.

L - Build the final ISO of your new Linux Distro: after have completed all the previous steps regarding the building and customization of your Distro it's time to build the Distro's final ISO image. This option will merge the contents of the different modules (Base, Main and Mini) and the files on the /copy, /deb, and /exec directories into a single ISO file which you can burn to a CD/CDRW using the option n of the main menu or using any other burner you like. Alternatively you can test this ISO image using Qemu through the command: qemu -cdrom <isofilename>.
    M - Delete the Distro working infrastructure: MkDistro build the following working infrastructure to work on the Distro you're building, on the directory you chose:
    /Backup
    /Base
    /Iso
    /Main
    /Mini
    /Work
    /hdremaster
    With this option all of this structure is deleted, if you don't need it anymore.
    N - Burning a CD/CDRW:
    With this option you have a simple although efficient shell script CD burner to burn your Distro on a CD or CDRW. Support for burning on a DVD media is being added in the next release of MKDistro.
    O - Utilities:
    This option calls a secondary menu dialog in which you find options to mount/unmount a cloop image file, a squashfs image file, an iso image file, creates any module not related to the project, like generic minimodules, creates any iso images not related to the project you're working on.
    X - Exit: Leaves the script.

Beans

I installed Dreamlinux works perfectly, but when I try to use synaptic to update it I get a lot of dependacy problems

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bdb51 View Post
    I installed Dreamlinux works perfectly, but when I try to use synaptic to update it I get a lot of dependacy problems

Which version?

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast