Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamlinux Talk

Beans

Re: NEW: Dreamlinux 2.0 WORKS Edition 625 MB & Dreamlinux 2.0 XGL ( Experimental )

Dreamlinux 2.0 WORKS Edition

rattlerviper Guest

Re: NEW: Dreamlinux 2.0 WORKS Edition 625 MB & Dreamlinux 2.0 XGL ( Experimental )

I loved the little I have used DreamLinux! If I could only figure out how to get my wifi card to work! It's prettier than Ubuntu(to me), Faster than Ubuntu and that was running it from Livecd rather than harddrive like Ubuntu. It comes with all the proper codecs to play everything I threw at DVD? Not a problem! Im fact basically all thier software that it comes with covers all my needs except for Skype which is easy to add.

But I have no idea how to get the wifi working, and the vast majority of the website is in Portragese(spelling???). This is one distro that MIGHT be able to pull me away from Ubuntu, but I have no idea what their take on free software is, and they lack the forum support.

Beans

Arrow Re: NEW: Dreamlinux 2.0 WORKS Edition 625 MB & Dreamlinux 2.0 XGL ( Experimental )

Quote Originally Posted by rattlerviper View Post
    I loved the little I have used DreamLinux! If I could only figure out how to get my wifi card to work! It's prettier than Ubuntu(to me), Faster than Ubuntu and that was running it from Livecd rather than harddrive like Ubuntu. It comes with all the proper codecs to play everything I threw at DVD? Not a problem! Im fact basically all thier software that it comes with covers all my needs except for Skype which is easy to add.

But I have no idea how to get the wifi working, and the vast majority of the website is in Portragese(spelling???). This is one distro that MIGHT be able to pull me away from Ubuntu, but I have no idea what their take on free software is, and they lack the forum support.
    simply solution try an online translator:

http://www.worldlingo.com/en/product...ranslator.html

rattlerviper Guest

Yozef, I tried BabelFish, but still have no idea how to install my wifi card. It's a desktop so most distros will work but so far only Ubuntu, Linspire, Freespire, Mepis and OpenSuse 10.1 seem to recognize it right off the bat. I can't even find where in the networking tabs I could find wifi. I've been trying out distros for 6 years, but have only recently found any that I am comfratable with. Dream Linux would probably be the nicest if I could get it set up. Think I should try Gentoo?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Looks good.. Haven't installed it yet, though I might.

The OSX interface looks good, but it is getting a little boring...I mean how many distros are trying to emulate OS X instead of getting their own look and feel.

This comes from someone who customised Kubuntu to look as caramellish as Ubuntu, so take it with a pinch of salt...but I prefer Ubuntu's brown to Mac OS X shiny blues.

Beans

Arrow Re: NEW: Dreamlinux 2.0 WORKS Edition 625 MB & Dreamlinux 2.0 XGL ( Experimental )

Yozef, I tried BabelFish, but still have no idea how to install my wifi card. It's a desktop so most distros will work but so far only Ubuntu, Linspire, Freespire, Mepis and OpenSuse 10.1 seem to recognize it right off the bat. I can't even find where in the networking tabs I could find wifi. I've been trying out distros for 6 years, but have only recently found any that I am comfratable with. Dream Linux would probably be the nicest if I could get it set up. Think I should try Gentoo?
    Funny you mention Gentoo, I'm on it now.

I have been up all night trying to find the right distro to load on my computer with the Intel EM64T 64 bit dual core processor and ATI/Radeon video card.

lets see what have I gone through tonight:

sabayon RR64 3.0 RC1
    dyne:bolic 2.1
    dreamlinux XFCE 2.0 Works
    freeBSD 6.1
    Morphix Combined-Gnome 0.4.1

EDIT:
    after a lot of fuss I think I like dyne:bolic best, but I am going to try GoblinX 3.1 again.
    Last edited by RAV TUX; July 25th, 2006 at 10:25 AM.

rattlerviper Guest

I mention Gentoo because it sounds really nice. Basically having everything configured the way you want and need it from the get go. I went to the bookstore on sunday to look at a book on how to install gentoo, lets just say I still have the 40 bucks as it scared me off, sounds like it could take me 2 or 3 days for an install...then if I don't do something right start all over again!

Beans

I mention Gentoo because it sounds really nice. Basically having everything configured the way you want and need it from the get go. I went to the bookstore on sunday to look at a book on how to install gentoo, lets just say I still have the 40 bucks as it scared me off, sounds like it could take me 2 or 3 days for an install...then if I don't do something right start all over again!
    This is why Sabayon Linux is good.

but anyway,...I tried GoblinX again and it is the most beautiful of distros if you like fractals.

but now I am back to dyne:bolic

I think this is the best,....why?

everything works

1. load of live CD is lightening fast
    2. DVD just play movies flawlessly with Xine
    3. it comes with an updated Firefox
    4. I really like the desktop environment(I think windowmaker?)
    5. I think I will install dyne:bolic

I could give you more reasons but hey it's like 6am I've been up all night and I have to be to work soon.

I guess this is a geeks idea of a good time, up all night long trying distros out again.
    Last edited by RAV TUX; July 25th, 2006 at 10:28 AM.

Beans

tried it (live-version) but it didn't detect my (ATI radeon 9200) card. Experience tells me that is not a good sign. The forums? Well I don't understand this portugese... So no go for me!

Beans

They have an english section in their forum

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast