Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu(default)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

ubuntu(default)

ok, i don't have any idea what i did wrong( can't recall doing anything that could cause this) but here's what's going on, my login into ubuntu(default) ( not fallback to compiz or metacity) has some how gotten messed up. 1 day it was fine, the the next i noticed that after logging in the the little network status screen in the upper right corner had the text and icon shifting positions in the status box. after the login is done, either my desktop icons will flash or just my wallpaper is visible.

i can ctrl-alt-f1, alt-r/shift-sysrq-reisub and move the highlight/select from icon to another. but nothing else.

i'm using a samsung np-nc10 with a 250 gb hd, 2 gb ram, intel 945 graphics, with an external display since i broke the screen on my laptop.

i've tried xorg -configure, says the xorg isn't there. tried checking .*authority and had to fix the permissions for those do to a problem with my compiz login that i'm having now.
    sudo xrandr says can't open display. i even tried getting rid of monitors.xml so that can be recreated and hoped that would fix the problem,nope didn't.

the external monitor is an old crt so i can't go carting that around or else i'd try doing updating this os at the library to see if that would work. i'm out of ideas as to what to try. thanx for any help. i wouldn't be surprised if i accidentally corrupted something w/o knowing i did.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: ubuntu(default)

wyndlass; OK ..

1st up is that we have to have internet connectivity - else will be a real pain piggy-back'n files from an alternate box . Yuk !
    So, can you get us a terminal (ctl+alt+F1) from the login screen ?
    and now do we have contact with the outside world:
    Code:
    ping -c3 8.8.8.8
    ping -c3 ubuntu.com
    Then we start look'n at the log files and see if we get any hints on what is not taking place.

mamma I broke it
    son, it's 'buntu, we can fix it
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

ctrl-alt-f1 works. but no internet at home. right now i use a crt as an external display so i can't get my laptop to the library. i'd probably have been alot further along in solving this if i had internet access. i like that tag lines at the end of you post.

i just recently hear of the paste bin. how do i get to that when i have logs that are too big for posting. and how do i use it when posting?
    Last edited by howefield; February 3rd, 2016 at 04:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro

wyndlass; Ouch >

With no internet .. going to be a challenge and time consuming to gather info > With no access to info, not much we can do to help.

So, the problem confronting us is how to get required info to us from this crippled machine.
    How are you presently communicating with us ?... can we use this medium to transfer files ?
    Presently would behoove us to read the log files of the crippled system to get a hint of what is not taking place .
    From a PM I am advised the log files are to large to upload to the forum and we must utilize external means.

when the going gets tough
    the tough get going

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

i'm using a library computer and my pos fon as a flash drive so not much mem there. yes the logs are too big to post to the forums. i already knew this was going to be time consuming. if i use my other fon(acts solely as an mp3 player now) and clear my music of it, i'll have approx 1.5 gb for use(maybe a little more since it's a 2gb micro sd). i might be able to use the lib computer for more than pdfing and such. depends on if the stuff will fit the sd card.

Beans
    Distro

wyndlass; Ho Kay ...

Going to be a long haul .. Are you up for it ?
    For a 1st time getting started and a look'n:
    From the crippled machine run:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log > xorg-txt
    then copy the xorg-txt file to the micro sd and at the library console do:
    Code:
    cat <path_to_the_micro>/xorg-txt | nc termbin.com 9999
    when all goes right .. that file is uploaded to a paste site, the result in terminal is a URL, pass that complete link back here into the thread.
    With that link we can access the file and read the log .

where there is a will there is a way

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you still have a LiveCD/DVD/USB lying around somewhere (which you used to install Ubuntu) that when booted up should give you Internet access.

Beans
    Distro

dragonfly, i don't have internet at home, cable or satellite. if i did i would've been able to post from there instead of having to go to the library.

my .xsession-errors and .xsession-errors.old are right here:

Code:
    jad@jadaja-NC10:~$ cat .xsession-errors
    openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
    cannot connect to brltty at :0
    upstart: upstart-event-bridge main process (3694) terminated with status 1
    upstart: upstart-event-bridge main process ended, respawning
    upstart: upstart-event-bridge main process (3714) terminated with status 1
    jad@jadaja-NC10:~$ cat .xsession-errors.old
    openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
    cannot connect to brltty at :0
    upstart: upstart-event-bridge main process (4775) terminated with status 1
    upstart: unity-settings-daemon main process (4853) killed by HUP signal
    upstart: at-spi2-registryd main process (4855) killed by HUP signal
    upstart: gnome-session (GNOME-Flashback:Unity) main process (4856) killed by HUP signal
    upstart: indicator-messages main process (4952) killed by HUP signal
    upstart: indicator-bluetooth main process (4955) killed by TERM signal
    upstart: indicator-power main process (4956) killed by TERM signal
    upstart: indicator-datetime main process (4959) killed by TERM signal
    upstart: indicator-keyboard main process (4963) killed by HUP signal
    upstart: indicator-sound main process (4969) killed by HUP signal
    upstart: indicator-session main process (4972) killed by TERM signal
    upstart: indicator-application main process (4989) killed by TERM signal
    upstart: indicator-application pre-stop process (9205) killed by TERM signal
    upstart: Disconnected from notified D-Bus bus
    i'll have to do the cat cp thing later on and will post the results tomorrow. would be much easier if i could connect to a free internet server to do all this.

no i don't have a live usb(no dvd on my laptop) the last flash drive i lost and hadn't had the money to get a new yet, dragonfly. wouldn't matter since i don't have cable or satellite anyways. the only thing that it would help me with is getting some files off it.

since i currently can't use the net with my system, what do you guys think about my xsession logs? what are they saying that can help me?
    Last edited by howefield; February 6th, 2016 at 06:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

wyndlass; Well ..

The key to finding resolution is in obtaining information. The .xsession log does not give us much, And of what is
    upstart: indicator-application pre-stop process (9205) killed by TERM signal
    upstart: Disconnected from notified D-Bus bus
    I honestly do not know how relevant this is ..

What we might do, seeing as how we can not at this time get a look at the log file we really need to examine ( /var/log/Xorg.0.log) is see what results when attempting to start the GUI from terminal - We will need to see exactly what the system returns into the terminal .
    We need to know what release you have installed, as 14.04 has upstart for the initiate system, and 15.10 has systemd. Differing means to start that GUI from terminal.

maybe a long slow process
    but, time and effort will produce

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

vivid (15.04. i haven't gone to 15.10, when my friend gives me her laptop, i am going to wait for 16.04 to come out in april before i upgrade. i'm gonna keep 15.04, on my current laptop tho, well the hard drive anyways.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast