Thread: Getting Microphone to Work on Laptop

Beans

Getting Microphone to Work on Laptop

SITUATION

I just bought a microphone, the popular Audio-technica ATR2100. On my box which doesn't have an internal mic, running Xubuntu 14.04, it works perfectly. So I know the mic is fine. On my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5423, I can't get it to work.

TROUBLE SHOOTING SO FAR

1) The microphone shows up as Source option in Audio-Recorder.

Despite being selected, Audio-Recorder pulls sound from the internal microphones, and no sound from the ATR2100 USB mic.

2) Kazam.

The same thing happens if I use Kazam screencaster instead of Audio-Recorder.

3) Alsa Mixer -- "check default subdevice configuration" (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...roubleshooting).

The ATR2100 USB mic appears as a separate sound card.

But I can switch back and forth, turn down the levels on the internal microphone, and turn up the levels on the ATR2100.

This didn't work either. Only the faintest sound was recorded in Audio-Recorder and I assume it seemed like it from the internal microphones.

4) Check Pulse Audio Volume meter.

The meter registered almost nothing unless I used Alsa Mixer to turn up the internal mics.

5) Set Microphone levels using pavucontrol

Under both "input devices" and "recording" I turned up the ATR2100 USB microphone and turned down the internal microphones.

The Pulse Audio Volume meter now clearly registered sounds in the microphone!!! I thought I had fixed the problem.

But neither Audio-Recorder nor Kazam registered any sounds.

6) Edit alsa-base.conf. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tULmqpe5Yos)

I scrolled to the end of the file and add the this "options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1" as a new line, then rebooted.
    This didn't seem to change anything.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Beans

Re: Getting Microphone to Work on Laptop

Thread moved to the "Hardware" forum.

Beans

Re: Getting Microphone to Work on Laptop

bump