Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot boot after deleted old Kernel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cannot boot after deleted old Kernel

Hi,

I'm a bit sketchy on the details here and I cannot boot in to confirm anything. Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS. I have the only copy of important photos on the HD. Also it is encrypted.

I followed this link:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu...moveOldKernels
    and deleted what I thought were old kernels.

However when I put
    dpkg -l linux-image-\*

into the terminal it listed several kernel versions but as far as I can remember they were listed as
    'linux-image-3' (then a space and then more details about the version)

Further down the list there was: 'linux-image-5' so I presumed that l was safe to enter:
    sudo apt-get autoremove linux-image-3

Is there anything that I can do? Thanks in advance

Beans

Re: Cannot boot after deleted old Kernel

Restore your system partition from your most recent backup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried using a live session to access the hard disk and backup those important files?

You need to install a kernel. I am not sure how to do that. Re-installing may be the easy way if your data is safe. Do you have your data on a separate partition? Or a separate home partition or is it all in the /home folder in the Ubuntu partition. I guess that encryption will complicate matters. I have no experience with encryption. I cannot advise.

I am guessing that if you try to install a kernel, it would have to be done from a live session as recovery mode will not work as it needs a Linux kernel.

My advice is to concentrate on backing up that important data before trying to correct the original problem. You may make things worse and be left in a situation where re-installing becomes the uncomplicated solution.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Leunam12,

Does ubuntu do this automatically and if so how would I access this?

I do a full new installation rather than upgrade between versions....

Many thanks

Beans
    Distro

Hi grahammechanical,

Its all on the one partition /home. I presumed that I could not access the HD at all when the home folder was encrypted but I will try a live cd. If I could just get the files off it I would do a full new installation then...

Thanks again I will try a live cd..

Beans

If you didn't backup manually then there is no backup. But all your data should be there. You have to find a way to transfer it over to another disk.

Beans
    Distro

Brilliant!

I was able to access and unencrypt the files from a live cd. I almost have access to everything however some folders are not accessible - is there a way I can log with more permssions in to have access to these?

Beans
    Distro

When I try to move a particular folder it says: 'The folder "Name" cannot be handled because you do not have permission to read it.'

but I do have access to another similar folder
    Last edited by bikefreakvinnie; December 31st, 2015 at 02:16 PM.

Beans

For your future reference. Don't run commands that you don't understand. I know, some people think it is cool to give instructions in a bunch of incomprehensible gibberish and tell you to just cut and paste. But I try to explain them a little bit if I am giving them and ask for explanations or google them up if I am given them. The easiest and safest thing to do (which may not seem as cool to cli people) is to find these packages in synaptic and delete them. Synaptic is an excellent gui-package manager. You can install it with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get isntall synaptic
    or install it via the software centre.

Once installed you just open it, search for "linux" from the "installed" section to find all the Linux images and the corresponding headers with a green box next to each. Then click to uninstall all of them (images and headers) except the ones that you want to keep (say the two latest ones), and click apply. Then you are done.

P.S just to drive home the point some guy on another thread just has his whole system blown away by trying to uninstall wine with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove wine*
    The "*" happens to be a regular expression in apt, not a wild card like it is used in other context. He could have avoided a painful reinstall had he looked it up first or just used synaptic (or ran it without the *, and use autoremove instead)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; December 31st, 2015 at 02:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For future reference there is a tool called Ubuntu Tweak that has a Janitor tab that will help you remove old packages and kernels without the worry of deleting the current kernel you are using. You can download the .deb here - http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

I always keep a couple old kernels just in case but tweak Janitor will not flag your current kernel for deletion. If you are unsure which kernel you are using you can run
    Code:
    uname -r
    and it will show you your current kernel version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast