Thread: Seahorse: cannot import passwords from user.keystore file

Beans

Seahorse: cannot import passwords from user.keystore file

I'm trying to import my passwords (just passwords, not GPG keys) stored in Seahorse from an older Ubuntu installation to Ubuntu 15.04 (MATE version) : given that to date (to the best of my limited knowledge) there is no option in Seahorse to import passwords, I've just tried to overwrite in Ubuntu 15.04 the current user.keystore file located in ~/.local/share/keyrings with the older file located in ~/.gnome2/keyrings in the other older OS: however, that isn't working at all.

No passwords in fact show up in Seahorse 3.15.90 even after logging in again and/or rebooting, and also as a side effect the Gnome keyring in Seahorse itself cannot be unlocked any longer (although I don't quite understand the purpose of this Gnome keyring in Seahorse) .
    Restoring the previously backed up user.keystore allows me to unlock the Gnome keyring again -but other than that I'm stuck, I can't see a way to import my passwords in this new installation.

Am I doing something wrong here?
    Wasn't manually overwriting the current user.keystore file with the older one the commonly agreed upon method to import passwords in Seahorse, for the lack of a better option?
    Do I really have to manually enter all my saved passwords in Seahorse in the new OS?
    Last edited by cogset; January 8th, 2016 at 01:37 AM.

Beans

Re: Seahorse: cannot import passwords from user.keystore file

Is the current Seahorse version just incompatible with older versions, at least as far as stored passwords go?

If so, is there a way around this?
    Last edited by cogset; January 8th, 2016 at 01:34 AM.