Thread: New to Ubuntu. Dell Inspiron D830 refuses to shut down

Beans

New to Ubuntu. Dell Inspiron D830 refuses to shut down

Hello all,

I installed Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS on a Dell Inspiron D830. The Inspiron is running the Core2 Duo processor and has 4Gb of RAM. The installation has two annoying quirks & I was hoping that someone had answers for a complete & total Ubuntu noob.

The computer refuses to shut down. The system hangs on a black Ubuntu screen that has five dots underneath the word Ubuntu. From left to right, the five dots cycle between white-to-orange and that's where it stays.

Next, it appears that a driver for the D830's internal Wi-Fi card has not been installed. I can get around that by using a USB Wi-Fi dongle, but it's still annoying & I'd like the internal Wi-Fi to work properly.

I was really surprised to see these problems. I read on the official Ubuntu web site that Canonical has a software agreement with Dell. Inside the Ubuntu Software Center, I found two programs for Dell computers. I have no clue how to use them. When I click on the app "Dell Driver Installer", it says it will install a driver package that I downloaded. I don't know what to download and don't know what site download site to use.

Please help me. Thanks so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: New to Ubuntu. Dell Inspiron D830 refuses to shut down

Hi, welcome to the fora.

You don't need to add 'New to Ubuntu' to the title. You are already posting in the 'New to Ubuntu' forum.

For the networking problem please follow this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=370108

Does the computer shut down if you push Enter when it's hanging with the five dots?

Yes, Canonical is cooperating with Dell regarding new hardware. The program was not in place when the 830 was born (but the 830 and similar Dells are easy to get running).
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Did you verify the original install was from a good image (checksum matched)? If you use that same install DVD or USB flash-stick, does the system shut-down completely (from a live session)? Also, if you log out, then shut down, will it do so without issue?
    Last edited by Geoffrey_Arndt; December 27th, 2015 at 12:46 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

try by removing the modem manager, don't worry you can reinstall it .
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove modemmanager
    Make money by writing !
    You only live once, do what you like most !