Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Startup Disk Creator now only a straight run-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Startup Disk Creator now only a straight run-

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Thanks - I think we are reporting this bug early enough to get it squashed.

Otherwise this version looks good.
    I like the GUI. It is simple. Lets see if time will tell that it is reliable for testing purposes. I assume they dropped persistence widgets because the resources are needed elsewhere. If we need Advanced Tool we can use mkusb.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!

You find the released versions here

mini.iso, minimal install, netboot iso

It can be confusing to search for the xenial mini.iso files, but I think you find them at the following links

.../xenial/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/

.../xenial/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/
    Last edited by sudodus; December 17th, 2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added xenial amd64

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I like the GUI. It is simple. Lets see if time will tell that it is reliable for testing purposes. I assume they dropped persistence widgets because the resources are needed elsewhere. If we need Advanced Tool we can use mkusb.

Regards..
    Yes, it is an easy and reliable way to make the Startup Disk Creator reliable

Beans
    Hidden!

Regards..
    Looks the same to me.

I'd assume they dropped the persistence widgets because the app doesn't do it - nothing to do with resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just tried the new-style Startup Disk Creator, with a bog-standard iso, and it actually Created a bootable Startup Disk! SDC hadn't worked for me for a long, long time - maybe never. So whatever they did, good!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by flocculant View Post
    Looks the same to me.

I'd assume they dropped the persistence widgets because the app doesn't do it - nothing to do with resources
    I am running it on ubuntu-mate. Some small differences.(edit: Probably because I haven't used it in so long I forgot what it looked like)

Yes..but I meant that they do not have the resources (developers and keepers) to maintain and fix those problems . So it looks like a 'keep it simple' approach is the soup de jour That may happen (is happening) to other apps as well.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; December 17th, 2015 at 04:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think it is a 'both and' situation.

1. Making it simple makes it reliable too - we have the hybrid iso files, that allow us to simply clone the iso files - and it is a good idea to take advantage of it.

2. Maybe 95% or 99% of the usage needs no persistence - so it is a waste to provide that in the standard tool, that should be a simple as possible.

3. And yes, I think that there were not enough resources to spend on keeping the old and complicated system working in and between all different versions of syslinux, grub, bios and uefi etc.

Beans
    Distro

1. Making it simple makes it reliable too - we have the hybrid iso files, that allow us to simply clone the iso files - and it is a good idea to take advantage of it.

2. Maybe 95% or 99% of the usage needs no persistence - so it is a waste to provide that in the standard tool, that should be a simple as possible.

3. And yes, I think that there were not enough resources to spend on keeping the old and complicated system working in and between all different versions of syslinux, grub, bios and uefi etc.
    I absolutely agree 100%! Although I do use mkusb to create persistent USB drives I basically just like to rip of live daily/currents and test them and try hard installs .. etc..

'disks' did an excellent job during the interim. The other positive is that SDC will be more user friendly for new comers and persons wanting to test and join the UDV team.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!

For iso-testing I use a persistent live system now, where I update the iso file in place and reboot with the grub-n-iso method. It eliminates the need to copy/clone the file. It is stored in a fast USB 3 pendrive. See this link

Compressed image file with a persistent live system

I use links2update to update the daily iso file(s). Very convenient and independent of a master computer.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes..but I meant that they do not have the resources (developers and keepers) to maintain and fix those problems . So it looks like a 'keep it simple' approach is the soup de jour That may happen (is happening) to other apps as well.

Regards..
    aah - those resources hours not £'s

All that aside, if the guy who removed persistence (can't remember his name) is true to his word then removal of persistence is only a stop-gap. He said he would look at getting it back.

For iso-testing I use a persistent live system now, where I update the iso file in place and reboot with the grub-n-iso method. It eliminates the need to copy/clone the file. It is stored in a fast USB 3 pendrive. See this link

Compressed image file with a persistent live system

I use links2update to update the daily iso file(s). Very convenient and independent of a master computer.
    Can't be assed to daily install, so check the image with vbox and have it looped in grub too, so after a zsync I can check both.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast