Thread: FSCK at start up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

FSCK at start up

I get this message before the OS boots :

[fsck from util-linux 2.26.2
    /dev/sda1: clean, 208604/9560064 files,1970577/3822080]

(there are a few numbers missing at the end, but you get the idea, I m guessing there are some problems with the disc, but what and how to fix, after it boots all seems ok.
    HP EliteBook 745 G2 AMD A10 Pro-7350B/Radon R6 Graphics/15Gb RAM - Desktop Conversion

Beans

Re: FSCK at start up

Quote Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
    I get this message before the OS boots :

[fsck from util-linux 2.26.2
    /dev/sda1: clean, 208604/9560064 files,1970577/3822080]

(there are a few numbers missing at the end, but you get the idea, I m guessing there are some problems with the disc, but what and how to fix, after it boots all seems ok.
    Nothing wrong here. 'clean' is good. I think the following explanation is still correct:

All filesystems are checked at boot. If the system was shut down cleanly, they will be marked 'clean', which short-circuits the checking process. Any filesystem that was not found 'clean' will be checked. journaled filesystems will usually be checked quickly due to the journal. ext2 filesystems will be checked completely, which can be time consuming.
    source: http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~gboyd/cs26...lesystems.html

The message itself may not always be seen.

Beans

Make sure you always shut down your system from the menus. If you turn off the power instead, the disk will be checked for errors at the next startup.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Nothing wrong here. 'clean' is good. I think the following explanation is still correct:

source: http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~gboyd/cs26...lesystems.html

The message itself may not always be seen.
    Ah, ok, its on my old pc and I ve just wiped my hard drive and installed Xubuntu, was going to sell it and thought it signified a problem. Thaks, nothing to worry about then.

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Make sure you always shut down your system from the menus. If you turn off the power instead, the disk will be checked for errors at the next startup.
    I always do ! Its a fresh install.
    HP EliteBook 745 G2 AMD A10 Pro-7350B/Radon R6 Graphics/15Gb RAM - Desktop Conversion