Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secure stolen machine from starting up. How?

Beans

Re: Secure stolen machine from starting up. How?

Ok

Not running any website.

IS there files that will run after mounting, that are vital? I am now installing the OS again, because I messed it up somehow yesterday, and I will encrypt the OS, but when does it ask for password, is this after VNC starts? If not, I will not be able to enter this password. (I bet is asks it earlier).

Any ideas how to achieve my goal?

Beans

Ok, I tested out, and when I crypt the whole drive, it actually asks the password way before booting anything. Well, this was expected, and logical.

If I tick the option to encrypt my home folder, it will automatically set the "login with password" -option to on. Logical still.

So I am now reaching my goal. Question is, how do I start VNC-server when os is at login-page?

Beans
    Hidden!

I have just thought of another idea...Open the case and remove the audio jack. Then cut the power wire to the HD (it should be yellow). Using a small junction add wire to the HD power wire long enough to reach the back of the case. Solder on a new audio jack and insert. Then get a cheap (and make sure it looks cheap) speaker box. Open the speaker box and cut the two wires off the speaker and join them together. The HD will then simply not have power unless that speaker box is plugged in. Glue or screw the speaker box to the desk or floor or wall or whatever.

No crook is going to bother with a cheap and nasty speaker that they cannot even pick up as it is screwed to the desk...It will be a zillion years before they realise the reason the computer wont start is because they left the kill switch behind !!

No thief is going to bother trying to access the HD externally. If it doesn't start, they can't sell it. They wont bother, it is 10 years old with no monitor or keyboard and wont start... Anyone that goes to the effort of removing the HD and accessing it externally, already knows what is on it and they don't need to steal it. They can just turn up with a warrant and take it

Beans

Nice idea, thinking outside of the box there, I like!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I first thought BIOS as well but if the machine is stolen, couldn't the machine be opened and the BIOS reset via a jumper?
    if they can do that then they can remove the HD and plug it into another computer. so as a minimum the hard drive needs to be encrypted if it has any personal/confidential/proprietary data.

as to detecting if it has been stolen ... many ways ... tough choices.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Janiporo View Post
    ... thinking outside of the box there ...
    Literally!

Beans

Encrypt, encrypt, encrypt...

Or more specifically, use LUKS and do so called 'whole disk' encryption. In reality the /boot partition is not encrypted, since it has to boot somehow, but encrypting everything else, makes it practically impossible for anyone to get at your data.

1st Rule of Security: There is no Security w\out Physical Security.
    Buy a Pitbull and a short leash.
    Luks can be p0wn3d: see rule 1.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans

Thanks guys, I will figure something out of these posts, and combine ideas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12