Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think PCs will become obsolete in near future ?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Do you think PCs will become obsolete in near future ?

Well I work on my old style desktop PC and I hear a lot of people saying " wow do you still use this..?" why dont you use tablet ..? . I have a Laptop and a Tablet but when it comes to productivity I always rely on a desktop . IMHO there is still no substitute to a keyboard + mouse combination .

what is your opinion

Beans

Re: Do you think PCs will become obsolete in near future ?

I haven't used a desktop in years.

Now my laptop is my main computer well at home and work, then again the tablet is my best friend while traveling.

Beans
    Hidden!

Not sure I'd be able to use a tablet to house the music library. And if I could I suspect I wouldn't have the £'s ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There will always be geeks like me to create at least a small market.

And high-end gamers.

So, no.

But they will get a lot smaller, more energy efficient and cooler.
    Last edited by QIII; November 25th, 2015 at 07:34 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    There will always be geeks like me to create at least a small market.

And high-end gamers.

So, no.

But they will get a lot smaller, more energy efficient and cooler.
    Add Me to that list also!!
    They can have my Tower when they pry it from my Cold Dead Hands....
    So There. LOL

Beans

I just can't see myself doing all my computer work on a small 8''-10'' tablet. Besides, it is far more enjoyable to browse the web and watch videos on a laptop or desktop so I would say no, they won't disappear even if the market is shrinking. I think they will evolve and adapt to our needs as technology moves forward.
    Last edited by night_sky2; November 25th, 2015 at 09:11 PM.

No.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

A tablet is fine for entertainment; watching videos, listening to music, (with good headphones), etc etc, but try doing a lot of desktop publication, photo, or video and music editing using a tablet and you would soon find that it is just not the same thing at all as a "proper" computer.

Even using a tablet for relatively simple editing of written material is painfully slow and tedious in my opinion; I still have not figured out how to do a cut and paste job on a tablet in an easy way as you can in a word processor or DTP application.

Sorry, but a table just does not work very well for that type of activity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Traditional desktops are very likely to continue shrinking in applications as better task-suited devices take over more of their roles. I do think convertible tablets are going to continue to cut into laptops for a lot of applications, too. But I think as long as we have tasks designed for sitting at computers doing them, we're going to continue to have computers designed for that, too.

Gaming or ownership of your data I don't see as major long-term forces. Storage and data ownership mainly because the soft sell of the cloud is going to continue to chip away at those niches until they become impractical for the diehards left in them; the more broadband we have everywhere, the more this incomparable appeal of having access to all your files on whatever device you're using takes over for some deep need to know where those files are actually being stored and have that version of control over them.

Gaming because gaming is changing fast itself. Gaming consoles are still taking up the spot for the living-room PC, and the clock is ticking on them for being the best or most convenient way of delivering their core application of gaming, while set-top boxes and smart TVs are offering a subset of that living room computer functionality and waiting to bloom when consoles do die or be killed off themselves by the replacement. I really do think there's going to be a boxed solution at some point and that we haven't seen it yet, and it's not (yet) taking the form of a Windows or Mac PC just plugged into the television set with a 10-foot interface (like, even Xbox isn't fully a member of the Windows 10 convergence family). But I really think that games are going to stop being one of the things pushing bleeding edge hardware in the process of all that change. Hell, right now, bandwidth is already a more prohibitive cost on gaming in most situations than local hardware is.

It's hard for me to imagine that anything that qualifies as a "desk job" right now isn't going to continue being best facilitated by large displays, comfortable keyboards, and relative pointing devices. Those jobs and those computers have been designed around each other in the last thirty years. There's no benefit to putting a tablet in a dock and calling it a workstation. The benefit is taking the "computer" out of the "desktop" completely - making the workstation a thin client with a VM in the server room, or an outsourced server farm, that the tablet can also access on a business trip. Which I guess is a little like the death of desktop PCs, except that most of the people using them will literally not know the difference.

Keyboard, mouse, big screen, interfaces that fully utilize them? Those are going to last for a very, very long time. Intel architecture? Eh, they're either going to fix it or everything's going to go to ARM, but convergence will happen and the software division will cease to exist. Little boxes that you plug everything into to make go? Probably going to look more and more like the Mac Mini with time, but we're still going to need sedentary computing devices of some kind we can leave around.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; November 25th, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

I think the defintion of a PC will change a lot. What defines a PC in the future? People using desktop computers will for a very long time continue on in the workplaces. At home however, the amount of people using desktop pc:s will shrink, but I have a very hard time thinking they will totally disappear for the near 20 years to come. No doubt the amount of desktop PC users will also shrink, because of several reasons.

I really don't like tablets, and I have no current or future plans to buy one. I haven't touched one yet, but I suspect I won't be able to protect myself from that one (perhaps). Laptops on the other hand has been and will continue to replace my previous desktop computers. What I enjoy the most is the low power compared to previous desktops, and that's the main reason I've actually purchased a new one this summer, hoping it will serve my needs for at least the coming 10 years to come (or more?). So that's me...

Desktop PC:s in peoples homes will become a rare sight in the future, and that's very easy to predict. I'm guessing that this has already happened, to some extent.
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast