Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how did my system automatically update to 16.04?

Beans

Re: how did my system automatically update to 16.04?

Ok either I don't understand the implications and the command I used or I am not explaining this very well
    I only ran that command once when I was upgrading from 15.04 to 15.10, that was ..-10-2015 and I upgraded to 15.10 back then. How can it happen that whithout my consent and without running this command again, I end up in 16.04 nearly 2 months later?

If this really happened this way I need to know how to disable this, otherwise, without my consent, I will again upgrade to 16.10... without doing anything...

Beans

Where did you find that command?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If 15.10 was already released at the time you ran that command, then the only development version available was Xenial Xerus (16.04). I cannot speak for Kubuntu but as far as Ubuntu is concerned there is no visual difference between the released 15.10 and the development branch of 16.04. I suspect that the same is true of Kubuntu Xenial Xerus.

Running the command with sudo forced you to authorise the action.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

well yes 15.10 was already released, so I guess that is my problem... thnx for helping me find a logical explaination for this!

OK so I have googled downgrading. So it seems this is somewhat possible, but might also bring a lot of problems with it. What should my next move be? Is it best to stay at 16.04 (until release), but somehow set it up in a way I only receive updates from wily and then set it back? Because nothing seems broken yet, I would like to keep it that way. Because now I am afraid of using 'sudu apt-get upgrade'.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Psy8cho View Post
    well yes 15.10 was already released, so I guess that is my problem... thnx for helping me find a logical explaination for this!

OK so I have googled downgrading. So it seems this is somewhat possible, but might also bring a lot of problems with it. What should my next move be? Is it best to stay at 16.04 (until release), but somehow set it up in a way I only receive updates from wily and then set it back? Because nothing seems broken yet, I would like to keep it that way. Because now I am afraid of using 'sudu apt-get upgrade'.
    If I were you, I would without question backup my data and do a clean install of Wily, then restore my data. It's really quite easy. You are proposing rather fiddly scenarios (only receive updates from wily? what does that even mean in the context of xenial?, and it's so much simpler to just do a clean install.

Or just stick with xenial and come along for the ride

Beans

I use Ubuntu GNOME so don't know much about Kubuntu but just a bit of googling leads me to believe that the suffixes you used may have edited a configuration file related to "DistUpgradeViewKDE". That's why I'd like to know where you learned that command. The source of the problem could be helpful in avoiding this again.

Beans

@kansasnoob yes you're right, I would like to find the source of the problems as well. However I can't find out where I found that command. I might have found it in Kubuntu itself, when upgrading the distro in gui you have to give permissions and it shows the command. I think I copy pasted that.

@sgage yes I have been wondering about how much settings and stuff linux holds in it's /home directory. It's on a seperate partition from / so I should be good. So what all would I have to 'redo' in the senario of reinstalling Kubuntu wily? Because I have quite a lot of settings in the KDE desktop environment. If it would be deleted, how do I back it up and put it back?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Code:
    -f DistUpgradeViewKDE
    I'm pretty sure that this does an unattended upgrade for a system so you don't get asked any questions, no prompts.

Pretty similar to an unattended install using a preseed file.

Maybe that's what happened to upgrade your system

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

Code:
    -f DistUpgradeViewKDE
    I'm pretty sure that this does an unattended upgrade for a system so you don't get asked any questions, no prompts.

Pretty similar to an unattended install using a preseed file.

Maybe that's what happened to upgrade your system

Kind regards
    Aha! So you wouldn't be presented with a prompt telling you it'll upgrade X# of packages, install X# of packages, remove X# of packages, etc, etc. Scary stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast