Thread: No sound since update.

Beans

No sound since update.

Hello,

I can't use my sound card since yesterday.

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 and the only things I did that could have done something yesterday was updating (and saddly I didn't pay that much attention to what I did update).

VolumeIcon doesn't show on tray anymore, alsamixer doesn't launch either.

But I tried some things, like things said on this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

It seems that my sound cards are correctly installed:

$ sudo lspci -v | grep -A7 -i "audio"
    00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller (rev 09)
    Subsystem: Lenovo Device 2227
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 49
    Memory at f1130000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
    Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    --
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Lenovo Device 2227
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 48
    Memory at f1134000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    When I try the following command to play a sound nothing happens:
    $ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
    Lecture WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Fréquence 48000 Hz, Mono
    When I try to execute VolumeIcon I get this error:
    $ volumeicon
    Failed to create secure directory (/run/user/1000/pulse): Permission non accordée
    volumeicon: alsa_backend.c :86 : asound_get_volume: l'assertion « m_elem != ((void *)0) » a échoué.
    [1] 14629 abort (core dumped) volumeicon
    When I try to execute pulseaudio -C I get this one:
    pulseaudio -C
    E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Failed to create secure directory (/run/user/1000/pulse): Permission non accordée
    And when I try it with sudo:
    $ sudo pulseaudio -C
    W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Le programme n'est pas prévu pour être lancé en tant que root (sauf si --system est renseigné).
    E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Home directory not accessible: Permission non accordée
    I already tried reinstalling pulseaudio and alsa as well. I also tried reinstaller libasound2 and linux-sound-base.

I also used a command yesterday (can't remember which one) that told I was muted or not and my volume, all was 100% and muted was "no".

Can someone help me on this matter ? I'm running out of ideas

I searched on the web, and did find some people with the same issue but no fix...

thanks for your time !

EDIT:

I tried doing sudo chmod -R thomas:thomas /run/user/1000/pulse but I still get this error:

$ volumeicon
    volumeicon: alsa_backend.c :86 : asound_get_volume: l'assertion « m_elem != ((void *)0) » a échoué.
    [1] 14733 abort (core dumped) volumeicon
    Last edited by Thomas_Soenen; November 19th, 2015 at 10:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: No sound since update.

maybe reinstalling pulseaudio and volumeicon will work
    also try reseting your sound config
    rm -rf ~/.config/pulse
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Hello,

Thanks for your fast answer, I tried what you told me but no success.

Exactly the same error after I rebooted :s

Thanks anyway !

PS: I see you got a Fractal Design tower they're such beauties don't you think ?

I got an R3 at home, without the glass but I have a crossfire of 2 r9 290 inside with an AMD FX93xx and 16Gb (Fallout 4 love it, but only on windows D: )

Anyway, you should try the Caviar Black series, better perfs than blue one and not that much costly (1Tb was around 80€ when I brought it).
    Last edited by Thomas_Soenen; November 19th, 2015 at 03:12 PM.

Beans

Beans

Hello Temüjin,

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=45...535d3a0c72c5f4

Here's your link ^^

Thanks for your help,

Beans

I'm a bit confused why your alsa lib/util versions are mismatched. Since you're running Trusty, the library version should be 1.0.27.2 as well. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/amd64/libasound2
    I don't know if that's causing the issue, but I find it suspicious.
    Code:
    Library version:    1.1.0
    Utilities version:  1.0.27.2
    See what output this gives:
    Code:
    apt-cache policy libasound2
    Also, double-check that pulse is in the audio group:
    Code:
    cat /etc/group | grep aud

Beans

Yes that was it !

I compiled 1.1.0 so I could compile another tool.

Didn't think it would do this ... I compiled back 1.0.27.2 I downloaded from alsa website and now I have my sound back.

I'm really sorry, that was my fault, I'll keep this error in mind.

Thanks for your help and your time

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Soenen View Post
    PS: I see you got a Fractal Design tower they're such beauties don't you think ?

I got an R3 at home, without the glass but I have a crossfire of 2 r9 290 inside with an AMD FX93xx and 16Gb (Fallout 4 love it, but only on windows D: )

Anyway, you should try the Caviar Black series, better perfs than blue one and not that much costly (1Tb was around 80€ when I brought it).
    yes, but i wish it was not so expensive (paid $80 for mine)
    the only difference the blue/black is the warranty length, with the exception of 2.5" drives which is why i have a WD Black in my laptop
    i just got a WD Blue 1tb for $45 it will be here Saturday (thought it might be here Friday based on the tracking data)
    i should update that link and take some new pics, i have 16gb ram now and a PCIe NIC installed now
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    yes, but i wish it was not so expensive (paid $80 for mine)
    the only difference the blue/black is the warranty length, with the exception of 2.5" drives which is why i have a WD Black in my laptop
    i just got a WD Blue 1tb for $45 it will be here Saturday (thought it might be here Friday based on the tracking data)
    i should update that link and take some new pics, i have 16gb ram now and a PCIe NIC installed now
    Well I brought mine a year ago, maybe even more and it was much more heavily priced. Around 130€ if I remember correctly :s

Yeah well 1Tb blue for 45$ is a very good price, I which I could find such a price in europe xD

16Gb is definitly a good idea right now, ram doesn't cost much and it give you space

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i only buy stuff when it is on sale, standard sale price for a R4 is 80, i saw 75 once
    i had to order 2 HDDs to get that price, but only 1 is for me the other is for a client (typical sale price is 48 right now)
    i picked up my last 4gb for ~17.5 (used), another 8GB cost me 40 (back when DDR3 was cheap) and my 1st 4GB cost me 40 (back in ~2011)
    i use my RAM for a ram disk (nobody has time for a HDD's I/O) and virtualboxes