Thread: where is the mount point created when using file explorer?

Beans

where is the mount point created when using file explorer?

When I use file explorer (in the gui) to mount my shared files on my home network (windows share), where does the system create the mount point? I know these aren't permanent mounts as sometimes I connect as admin and sometimes I mount readonly.

Think of it like this. If this were windows, I'd mount the remote folder as "drive x". Then I could tell the software to "look on drive x" for the files it temporarily needs. (hope that helps)

I'm not totally new to linux but its been a long time and I'm rusty. thanks for any pointers!

edit to add, I type "mount" to see a list of all mounts and I don't see the path to the network share or the name of the share anywhere
    Last edited by dave205; November 12th, 2015 at 03:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: where is the mount point created when using file explorer?

file-explorer mounts use gvfs. They aren't like normal mounts.
    These have moved depending on the release - older releases didn't properly secure them from other userids.

BTW, nautilus is probably the file-explorer being used, so you can look up where they are based on the release you run. I think they all use the partition label in the automatic mount location. They could be under /var or /media if my memory is correct. I don't allow gvfs storage on most of my systems; don't like end-users having the power to mount storage. Just seems like a terrible idea from a security standpoint.

Beans

bingo! thank you so much! now that I know the name of the file explorer, I could do a proper search. And interesting about gvfs. That's new on me so I have some reading to do. So I assume that "find" and "locate" doesnt search these directories as I searched for a filename that I know is on the network share and it didnt find it. apologies for not mentioning the release (15.10) as I surely didn't think it would matter.

nautilus gvfs mounts are here - /run/user/<userid>/gvfs

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

They moved it again!

find should work.
    locate is not usually configured to index non-permanent or network mounts. Indexing is controlled by the updatedb config file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In Nautilus pressing Ctrl+L shows the path to folders. It's handy for copy/pasting paths to or from the terminal. I don't know if it works for networks but worth trying out.