Thread: Issue with Starting Up

Beans

Issue with Starting Up

Hi!

I just installed Ubuntu 15.10 off a live usb a couple of days ago. Yesterday I installed gnome-shell and then got an alert for updates. Upon rebooting after the updates, I get to a black screen with

Code:
    fsck from util-linux 2.26.2 

/dev/sdb5: clean, 338599/2681728 files, 3928098/10727936 block
    I used ctrl-alt-f1 to log in (thankfully that works) - I then tried to manually start gnome-shell but it says it cannot connect to display 0.

Starting unity also gives a similar error. I had some success by stopping the gdm service, then running startx, right click->open terminal, then gnome-shell. Clearly this is just a band-aid though - does anyone know what the problem could be?

Also I saw http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2302067 - I think the problem is different, since at least they can get to the login screen.

Beans

Re: Issue with Starting Up

Figured out the problem - I had only installed gnome-shell, not everything else. I ran "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop" and that fixed my issue.

Also as a side note that created an issue where the Cantarell font got messed up, so text everywhere rendered as text instead of boxes - I had to do "sudo apt-get purge fonts-cantarell" then "sudo apt-get install fonts-cantarell" to fix that.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Issue with Starting Up

Good, please mark the thread solved using 'Thread Tools'.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.