Thread: Learning guidance - keep getting stuck

Beans

Learning guidance - keep getting stuck

Hello,
    I've been interested in about every area of "computers" for a while. I've built a couple and done a good amount of hardware troubleshooting, I've dabbled with codeacademy and basic web design, I'm beginning to work with Ubuntu, I think you get the picture .

I am a 23 year old college student, and I would have loved to study Computer Science, but I don't have a strong math background at all. I am considering switching to a UX major that was implemented just last year, which would at least give me some direction into design and has a couple programming classes as well. A computer science minor is common to pair with that.

On to my question - I like to learn things from the ground up. I really want to learn linux, server "stuff," how the internet really works, how to detect vulnerabilities myself and understanding viruses on a much deeper level, things like that.
    How can I get started? I just need some sort of structure to my learning. Book recommendations, codeacademy type sites, any recommendations would be really appreciated.

Something else - I'm just genuinely interested in the security part of computing, but I'm often afraid of dabbling or even searching around because for one, I use university internet, and two, I live in America. Is there a way I can safely educate myself about security without accidentally doing things that are illegal or something?

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Learning guidance - keep getting stuck

My take on "how to learn Linux" - http://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/12/28/learning-linux
    I think you'll appreciate this, since it was written for people like you exactly. People who want to become "power-users", then admins (at some level).

Basic IPv4 network knowledge is pretty easy. There are complexities to networking that are well beyond my knowledge, but I've worked with some brilliant network designers who have forgotten more than I've ever known.

For IPv6, HE has free training.

Many universities have security programs. Some sponsor offensive security teams.

The only way to do this safely, within legal limits yourself, is to hack your own network and equipment. Virtual machines are a core part of this.

There are security conferences almost every week of the year somewhere in the USA. This weekend there is a conference in Nashville. There are online CTF and KotH competitions too. They provide systems and networks specifically for teams to attack.

As you will soon learn, everything you want to learn will take decades. So... like eating an elephant, start with one bite at a time.
    Last edited by TheFu; November 3rd, 2015 at 07:08 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    My take on "how to learn Linux" - http://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/12/28/learning-linux
    I think you'll appreciate this, since it was written for people like you exactly. People who want to become "power-users", then admins (at some level).

Basic IPv4 network knowledge is pretty easy. There are complexities to networking that are well beyond my knowledge, but I've worked with some brilliant network designers who have forgotten more than I've ever known.

For IPv6, HE has free training.

Many universities have security programs. Some sponsor offensive security teams.

The only way to do this safely, within legal limits yourself, is to hack your own network and equipment. Virtual machines are a core part of this.

There are security conferences almost every week of the year someone in the USA. This weekend there is a conference in Nashville. There are online CTF and KotH competitions too. They provide systems and networks specifically for teams to attack.

As you will soon learn, everything you want to learn will take decades. So... like eating an elephant, start with one bite at a time.
    I just wanted to say thanks for this response . I know none of this will be learned overnight, and many times before I've just become overwhelmed and set it aside again.

If you wouldn't mind giving your input on one last thing - I am currently a Supply Chain Management major at my University. As much as I would like to major in Comp Sci, there are many requirements that are not only very difficult, but in my uneducated opinion, unrelated (ie. physics, multivariable calculus and calc 2, chemistry, etc). As I said before, I didn't come to university with a strong math background whatsoever, so this would really push me to the absolute limit.

What would you say about myself switching to a new major in UX offered at my school, and getting a Computer Science minor? Am I going to severely limit myself without knowing the higher level math required for a proper Comp Sci major?

Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Don't know much about CS. NEVER took any CS classes. I trained as an ASE with a focus on fluids and CFD.

I doubt that a design-focused degree would be any easier, but it is your life. Only you can guess the best direction to head with insufficient data. Is a new degree program a good idea? I don't know.

I have this advice. Pick the faculty you want to learn from and study whatever they teach. It is the people that make a great degree.