View Poll Results: Share with us your Wily (15.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

8 28.57%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

5 17.86%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

1 3.57%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

9 32.14%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

3 10.71%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

2 7.14%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Wily (15.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Share with us your Wily (15.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

It's that time again, Wily (15.10) was released October 22, 2015 Please tell us about your experience upgrading, or doing a fresh install of Wily Werewolf.

Keep in mind that this thread is only for your experience, if you are having problems, please create a thread in the support forums.

Poll and thread for the previous release:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2275836
    Last edited by Irihapeti; October 25th, 2015 at 12:17 AM.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Share with us your Wily (15.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

I did a fresh install on my new laptop, but I had to edit GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub to get it to shutdown properly.
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash modeprobe.blacklist=dw_dmac,dw_dmac_core"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Upgraded Ubuntu-MATE 15.04 to 15.10. No problems at all. In fact I had totally forgotten to stop the Folding@Home client 7 I'm running on this laptop & started the upgrade. Wasn't till it got to the re-boot phase when I remembered. Not only did the upgrade go smooth, Folding@Home started folding right where it left off.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Xubuntu 15.04 to 15.10, download and install took about an hour on my six-year-old AMD "high performance computer." Seems to be working fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Share your install or upgrade experience to 15.10 Release. (Oct 22/15 Release Date).

Many of us remember the excitement around upcoming new Ubuntu releases and the whirl of activity here at the Ubuntu Forums, soon after.

I haven't gone looking for user experiences much. I peeked in Installation & Upgrades a few times and other typical help forums and, have seen very little.

I haven't left 14.04 so, I haven't an experience to share.

I do wonder what others might have experienced.

Do you feel like sharing?

Beans

Re: Share your install or upgrade experience to 15.10 Release. (Oct 22/15 Release Dat

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    It's hard to leave the comfort and stability of a LTS release for a short term one that doesn't seem to have a lot of new features.
    Last edited by night_sky2; October 27th, 2015 at 04:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Share your install or upgrade experience to 15.10 Release. (Oct 22/15 Release Dat

Well, I upgraded from 15.04 to 15.10 using the update manager. Working well on my System76 Lemur with no problems. In fact, I really don't see any real changes. Feels like the same system to me. But, it works great.
    System76 Lemur5 (64-bit) - Antergos
    Dell Dimension 4500 (32-bit) - Win XP Pro (Down)
    Gateway NV59C (64-bit) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04
    2014 Mac mini - Sierra

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'm glad the upgrade worked so well for you Kale.

Hey, there still may be some that might want to Upgrade to the Newest Release and see this.

Here are a couple of Wiki's on Release Upgrading. There is more information suggestions to better ones' chances of Upgrading Releases Successfully, that can be found online. Try a web-search term like this to start: Ubuntu Release Upgrade.

I almost forgot this Current Sticky Thread in the Ubuntu Forums, Installation & Upgrades: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1946145

Ubuntu Official Wiki on upgrading: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/upgrade

Ubuntu Community Help Wiki on upgrading: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Upgrades

Last edited by mikodo; October 27th, 2015 at 08:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    Many of us remember the excitement around upcoming new Ubuntu releases and the whirl of activity here at the Ubuntu Forums, soon after.

I haven't gone looking for user experiences much. I peeked in Installation & Upgrades a few times and other typical help forums and, have seen very little.

I do wonder what others might have experienced.

Do you feel like sharing?
    Already shared here and you might have read it but just in case you did not.

Kamalakar
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 with pre-installed Endless OS & Ubuntu 22.04 in dual boot
    Linux Registered User #395189
    Ubuntu user number # 345

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thank you, Kamalakar.

Yes, I had read that detailed post of yours and I must add the sage advice about how to contend with newer hardware problems!

Last edited by mikodo; October 27th, 2015 at 08:59 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast