Thread: Can't login after 15.10 upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can't login after 15.10 upgrade

The only 2 that I have are:
    Problematic: 4.0.5-040005 generic
    Good one is: 3.19.0-32 generic
    An old Windows XP guy... That's new to Linux, but slowly learning one step at a time!
    --
    Thanks everyone, Happy Tilton
    ----

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The only 2 kernels That I have are:
    Problematic: 4.0.5-040005 generic
    Good one is: 3.19.0-32 generic
    An old Windows XP guy... That's new to Linux, but slowly learning one step at a time!
    --
    ----

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was able to open Firefox through the terminal, but the menu bar is not present so I have no way to minimize Firefox nor am I able to bring focus to the terminal that is now hidden under the Firefox window.
    Any suggestions on how to do that.
    As of now the only way to get out of the Firefox window is to do a hard shutdown/restart.
    --
    ----

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Figuring that "messed up" is "messed up" and I can't get any worse than a reinstall from the CD, I tried to upgrading the kernel to 4.2.0-17, using this that I had found:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kernel-ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    apt-cache showpkg linux-headers
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-4.2.0-17 linux-headers-4.2.0-17-generic linux-image-4.2.0-17generic --fix-missing
    Then, reboot.

So, now I have a choice of 3 kernels:
    3.19.0-32 generic
    4.0.5-040005 generic
    4.2.0-17 generic

The 3.19.0-32 generic is the only one that will auto-login, but has no launcher, no unity and no menu bar on any window that is open, therefore you can't close them, minimize them, move them, or bring focus to any window that is underneath.
    Kernels, 4.0.5-040005 generic and 4.2.0-17 generic, get stuck in a login loop. Even the "Guest" account gets stuck in a login loop.

I have just about learned my lesson on messing with unstable versions and go back to 14.04 LTS. At least everything worked. But NO, I just had to try newer & better!
    I'm still hoping someone will come up with workaround or a fix (fingers crossed).
    --
    ----

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I did a reinstall and went back to 14.0.4 LTS.
    --
    ----

Beans

Had same issue. There was error in
    Code:
    /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
    Code:
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia_304': Function not implemented
    1. I did installation of nvidia-346 as described, but this has no result after reboot. Also the 4.2.0-17 kernel was installed during 346 install.
    2. After that I purged Nvidia drivers
      Code:
      sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
      rebooted and was able to login into graphical session - Nouveau driver used. It has worked fine, not so slow and buggy as usual.
    3. But I tried selecting Nvidia 304.128 tested in Drivers GUI and after reboot it worked as needed without errors!
    Last edited by masterwrks; October 27th, 2015 at 02:58 AM.

Beans

Cool Re: Can't login after 15.10 upgrade

Hi I just wanted to chime in thanking masterwrks for his answer and link.

For a couple years I was running 14.04 LTS, then recently upgraded. I had several problems but the last one was that when I tried to boot with kernel 4.20 and log in, the screen would sort of blink, then return me to the log in screen. This happened with all user accounts but did NOT happen with kernel 3.19.

I read the link which recommended installing nvidia-346, then read masterwrks's experience, and decided to just blow away my nvidia packages and reboot:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-304 nvidia-common nvidia-opencl-icd-304 nvidia-settings

And that worked for me. I'm now logged in using 15.10. Thank you all for your help. Honestly the function of these drivers is a little foggy to me because I don't even know how the heck my graphics card works at all without any drivers (didn't I just remove them all?), and yet the presence of the drivers is what the problem was.

Beans

Hi,

I have had similar weird issues with 4.2-x kernel and all versions of Nvidia drivers (except the legacy package) + Nouveau driver..

Eventyally with any upgrade i get some weird Nvidia driver originating problems and i guess it's about the K1000M chip i have..

With 4.2.0 kernel and Nouveau driver, lightdm crashed and halted before login screen.

Only working Nvidia driver with 4.2.0 kernel was 304 legacy. I have K1000M (Quadro) chip and problems started after upgrade from 15.04 to 15.10 (several problems in the past..).

Now with 4.2.0 and Nvidia 304 i cannot login, screen flips black and returns to lightdm login screen.

But strange thing was that if i created another user, i was able to login and everything works? This is not real solution but it works and i can login to dig more.

I cannot find any logs providing glues what happens from /var/log/X11, /var/log/* or /var/log/ligthdm.

Tomorrow when back in office i will look again logs if i missed something but i spend half day to try out all nvidia drivers + 3.19.2 + 4.2.0 kernel.

Any advices what to check next or how to debug lightdm more? I'll try trace lightdm if that leads somewhere i have not yet been

Beans

Argh, the .Xauthority was owned by root after upgrade.

So 'sudo chown myuser:myuser .Xauthority; chmod 0644 .Xauthority' did the trick.

Still i'm having one most likely gtk3 theme. Apps like skype and firefox have weird theme setting, menus, texts and tabs too big and i think it has relation with gtk3.

This looks the same: https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape-...s/+bug/1253541

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12