Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: AMD to open source ATI drivers

Beans

Re: AMD to open source ATI drivers

Quote Originally Posted by prizrak View Post
    Why do you have a problem with AMD now if you didn't before? They never said they were gonna do anything with ATI. They bought ATI to build their own Centrino like platform since ATI does make chipsets. They were never gonna run ATI's business. This one is an actual merger with both companies still retaining control over their business process. If you don't want to buy AMD/ATI because they are proprietary you might want to steer clear of nVidia as well and just go for Intel.
    Yeah, because intel doesn't have closed source drivers or anything

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by bjweeks View Post
    Yeah, because intel doesn't have closed source drivers or anything
    Wasn't aware of their CC drivers. I'll admit that I don't know their product line all that much and AFAIK their wi-fi and NIC drivers are open. Could be wrong of course. You do seem to see my point here
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prizrak View Post
    Wasn't aware of their CC drivers. I'll admit that I don't know their product line all that much and AFAIK their wi-fi and NIC drivers are open. Could be wrong of course. You do seem to see my point here
    Yeah Just the whole "ZOMG! Boycot AMD because ATI has closed source drivers!!one!" idea is stupid. Lets boycot intel because they use windows boxes

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bjweeks View Post
    Yeah Just the whole "ZOMG! Boycot AMD because ATI has closed source drivers!!one!" idea is stupid. Lets boycot intel because they use windows boxes
    Not to mention their drivers are not as open as many think:
    http://osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=1547;

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Terracotta View Post
    Not to mention their drivers are not as open as many think:
    http://osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=1547;
    To modify what I said to someone who said that they don't want to support unfair business practices and therefore won't use anything produced in such a way: "If you only want to use libre stuff, you might as well use a typewriter".
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Tec...system_drivers

Btw it says, "until the merger is complete", which makes sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

The most you can hope for is the 2D part. They will not open source the 3D part.

Has there been any development on this? I occasionally pick through Google news in hopes of hearing something, but I find nothing.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Has there been any development on this? I occasionally pick through Google news in hopes of hearing something, but I find nothing.
    I would not get my hopes up if i was you. I just do not see this happening in the near future.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

The most you can hope for is open 2D drivers, they will not open 3D not unless nVidia does and they won't.... Well you see where that is going. If we are REALLY lucky they might open up specs for older cards that are not supported by newer versions of the driver.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456