Thread: System76 UEFI-based firmware & Secure Boot "Status" on available New Machines

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

System76 UEFI-based firmware & Secure Boot "Status" on available New Machines

Piggy backing from this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2166470&page=2

Post #12 states in part:

"All current System76 laptops and desktop use a traditional BIOS. There are EFI elements in some of the newer systems, but they're still using BIOS overall.

We do plan on implementing UEFI-based firmware across our range for 13.10 in October. Existing customers with current-gen hardware will be given the option of switching to UEFI. We don't have plans to enforce any secure boot settings".

What is the status for Retail machines now using Ubuntu latest LTS 14.04:

1. Is there still a traditional BIOS option. If so, is that BIOS/CSM/Compatibility Mode?
    2. Or, are all now UEFI-based firmware solely?
    3. With UEFI now, is there an option for Secure Boot?
    4. If there is an option for Secure Boot, how is that implemented? See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/SecureBoot

If I need, I will pose this question to System76 support.

By the by, I *do not own a System76 machine yet. I hope it can be my next Desktop.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mikodo; October 21st, 2015 at 02:05 AM.

Beans

Re: System76 UEFI-based firmware & Secure Boot "Status" on available New Machines

I purchased a desktop system from System76 about a year ago, and it has UEFI. I was really surprised to find that this was the case, but I've found that I can live with it just fine. (even though I tend to distro-hop) It's relatively easy to enter the UEFI bios (F2 during startup) and making any changes needed. (you can select legacy boot, and "other" for the OS)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: System76 UEFI-based firmware & Secure Boot "Status" on available New Machines

Quote Originally Posted by youroldpalmark View Post
    I purchased a desktop system from System76 about a year ago, and it has UEFI. I was really surprised to find that this was the case, but I've found that I can live with it just fine. (even though I tend to distro-hop) It's relatively easy to enter the UEFI bios (F2 during startup) and making any changes needed. (you can select legacy boot, and "other" for the OS)
    Hi YOPM!

Thank you, for the information.

I want to start with UEFI all the way as, eventually all PC's will be going to that and I want to learn it. Also, I want to enable Secure Boot, that is reported to have some protection from Boot-kits, (root-kits for the boot process). As you say that you can choose in the UEFI firmware during the boot-process that one also has the choice there to also enable an UEFI install or the CSM legacy booting for with a MBR, I should be good for what I want.

That is really a good choice of options System76 is offering. Not all vendors are doing that.

Thank you again.